Death Metal Discussion
Jun 23, 2008 at 4:42 AM Post #226 of 650
Quote:

Originally Posted by thornygravy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Cradle rapes you, no need to pout. Take it like a bitch :p

You should try listening to black metal at some point. You might be surprised.
tongue.gif

There's a reason why about 5 of the 100 rules of black metal are "Don't be Dani Filth". They're a punch line.

Jun 23, 2008 at 1:58 PM Post #228 of 650
Quote:

Originally Posted by ZackP /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Its modern stuff for mallgoth's and kids who can't get into real metal.

...or a gateway for the darker side of music if lucky, sort of entry level black(esque) metal, much like newer Dimmu Borgir. Think positive.
tongue.gif

Quote:

ha ha, little known fact (at least to me until I saw Headbanger's Journey). It kind of discredits Slayer in my eyes, especially since the song "God Hates Us All" was named because "its just a screwing cool name" as Tom said. I personally enjoy it when a band which displays a certain ideology stands fervently behind the ideology they claim to represent. Dissection for example. Yes, they may not have been the ideal black/thrash metal band, but the way Jon went out certainly shows a deep (if disturbing) devotion to what he claimed to be devoted to.

Really, bands that truly are devoted to some ideology are rather minority, even in black metal. Using shock effect to sell isnt anything new, rather common thing in metal since the day one. You think Iron Maidens number of the beast and such had some ideological meaning? No, it was just sort of shocking and shaking taboos, and therefore kickass amongst younger folk at that time. But as long as music is seriously made to be real music, thats what matters.

A side comment, Dissection - Somberlain is one helluva album.

Jun 23, 2008 at 5:23 PM Post #229 of 650
Quote:

Originally Posted by MaZa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
...or a gateway for the darker side of music if lucky, sort of entry level black(esque) metal, much like newer Dimmu Borgir. Think positive.
tongue.gif

Really, bands that truly are devoted to some ideology are rather minority, even in black metal. Using shock effect to sell isnt anything new, rather common thing in metal since the day one. You think Iron Maidens number of the beast and such had some ideological meaning? No, it was just sort of shocking and shaking taboos, and therefore kickass amongst younger folk at that time. But as long as music is seriously made to be real music, thats what matters.

A side comment, Dissection - Somberlain is one helluva album.

Storm of the Light's Bane has been on my rotation for a while now. the Somberlain is good too but SotLb is just so dark and melodic at the same time. The songs are more focused IMO. I really like the thrash meets black metal thing these guys had going on back in the day. So cool.

Jun 24, 2008 at 1:32 PM Post #232 of 650
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cousin Patty /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Storm of the Light's Bane has been on my rotation for a while now. the Somberlain is good too but SotLb is just so dark and melodic at the same time. The songs are more focused IMO. I really like the thrash meets black metal thing these guys had going on back in the day. So cool.

I havent heard much of other Dissection albums but few songs here and there, but Somberlain hitted the nail for me when I heard it. Perhaps I'm just imagining, but it is bit more black metallic than other albums, especially heardable on the title song?

Jun 26, 2008 at 7:27 AM Post #235 of 650
Quote:

Originally Posted by ezkcdude /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So, who here has heard Nihilist, the band that would become Entombed?

They were pretty excellent. I might even have to say I prefer them to Entombed when considering the entire Entombed catalogue.

Jun 26, 2008 at 11:51 AM Post #236 of 650
Quote:

Originally Posted by monolith /img/forum/go_quote.gif
They were pretty excellent. I might even have to say I prefer them to Entombed when considering the entire Entombed catalogue.

I'm finding lately some of the best metal albums are demos or one-offs (Repulsion, Terrorizer, Hellhammer, Nihilist, Morbid Saint ,disEmbowelment). Of course, it's harder to find some of these, but well worth it.
biggrin.gif

Jul 6, 2008 at 9:20 PM Post #239 of 650
Anybody heard the new Flesh Grinder Crumb's Crunchy Delights Organization? A couple of songs are up on their MySpace. I love these guys. This album appears to be even sicker than their earlier stuff - but with great riffage and dual vocal attack a la early grindcore-era Carcass.

Jul 18, 2008 at 6:11 PM Post #240 of 650
I made a good find IMO. I was browsing around Metal-Archives forums and found few positive mentions of band called Crackdust. What makes this band unique is that it is African, and players are black! And they play very solid old school Death Metal, not the best out there by long shot, but very solid and good no-nonsense stuff. No overpolished Polish-type -core influended deathmetal that is more common nowadays, but old school to the core with some melodic flavors added here and there (though this isnt even closely melodic deathmetal nor gothenburg). They slightly remind me of Slugathor (a kickass finnish band, check them out if you already havent) and especially Jungle Rot.

MySpace.com - Crackdust - Gaborone - Death Metal - www.myspace.com/crackdust

Their album is available for download as FLAC for modest fee. Also one thing that impressed me is the production quality. Its very well mixed and clip-free, quite audiophile quality. I bought and downloaded it, and so far my feelings have been very positive.

*edit* And congrats ezkcdude for reaching the 666 posts mark.
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back