Deal: Refurbished Sony MDR-v6 $45 shipped, can I do better?
May 29, 2011 at 7:11 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

Foie

Head-Fier
Hey guys, purpose of this thread is to: 1) Let you in on a deal, and 2) ask your opinions on a matter.

1) I noticed Sony has some of these back in stock refurbished for $39.99 with $5 shipping.  This is quite similar to the ecost deal a while ago.

http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10551&storeId=10151&langId=-1&productId=8198552921665090031

2) I need a replacement for my broken Koss KSC-75, and I've decided to make a foray into the closed, large headphone market.  Now at $45, I know these are a good value.  My dilemma is, I have a slightly larger budget; upwards of $100.  I want to get good headphones, but I also want the best value for the price. Are there any other deals out there that would compare to this one in terms of value?  I might be able to get the ATH M50s for $90, but I don't know if it's worth it paying double.  Would I see significant improvement by paying a bit more?  Thanks for the insight!

May 29, 2011 at 7:19 PM Post #2 of 16
ecost has some headphone deals? gasp! I just joined there few weeks ago 
rolleyes.gif
 a relaunch is happening soon for the site btw

This link is quite tempting, but I haven't heard these yet. Should be a pretty unbeatable price!

These are studio monitors and may sound boring to you (based from what I've read). The M50 is a studio monitor as well but it has that fun bass and treble going for it. There is always the rule You get What you Pay For, but there are exceptions like these 
biggrin.gif

I think the M50 would be better for day to day use as I believe these are huge. I cannot chime in more on these since I havent heard them yet. However you just made me curious because of the price point 
very_evil_smiley.gif
 Uh oh Uh oh

May 29, 2011 at 7:39 PM Post #3 of 16
Well, I enjoyed my ADDIEMs very much before they were stolen, which were as I remembered pretty analytical.  Thanks for the insight though!

BTW, is this in the right forum section?  I saw these under the 80 portable headphone shootout in this forum, but I've also seen threads of these in the full size forum...

May 29, 2011 at 7:46 PM Post #4 of 16
Well they can be considered as either, they are on the HUGE end of portable though. They are probably leaning more on Full Headphones, but can't say you were wrong in posting that here :)

May 30, 2011 at 12:03 AM Post #5 of 16
You can not do better for $45. These headphones are actually quite a bit smaller than the m50s. They are pretty much indestructible and fold up very nicely. 

If you can get it at $40 I would grab the headphones in a heartbeat. They frequently sell out of the refurbished models on sony style so grab them while you can. The headphones are very transparent and may not be as musical sounding when compared to the m50, but I personally was never a fan of the m50s. They are definitely not the most recommended headphones on headfi, but they do have a loyal following. Also, consider investing in velour earpads (pearstone deluxe or the beyers) since summer is just around the corner. They will become a ton more comfortable than the m50s with this mod.

Quote:
I think the M50 would be better for day to day use as I believe these are huge.

May 30, 2011 at 12:15 AM Post #6 of 16
That is a good deal. Ive had both M50 and V6 and the V6 are like 50% smaller. I also prefer the sound of the V6, I say get them, the price is good and they sure are legit.

I gave mines to my father, but now im tempted,I can still borrow them once in a while tho

May 30, 2011 at 12:34 AM Post #9 of 16
This deal has been going on for the last 6 weeks. It goes dead and live every couple of days. Just check frequently and you will luck out. It's much better than buying them off ebay cause there are a ton of fakes out there.

May 30, 2011 at 12:41 AM Post #10 of 16
That's a good deal.

I owned a pair for years and still think they're good. I prefer them to the M50, as well.

I found the MDR-V6 easy to travel with. I gave my pair away, but keep a MDR-7509HD around for travel. I like the 7509HD better, but the V6 is a better value for the dollar.

May 30, 2011 at 12:46 AM Post #11 of 16

Quote:
I owned a pair for years and still think they're good. I prefer them to the M50, as well.

beerchug.gif

this seems to be great for a wive away headphone, in my case because my father wasnt familiar with most audio brands and sony is always well known.

my only complain would be the lenghty cable

May 30, 2011 at 1:09 PM Post #12 of 16
Yeah, I'm thinking these will definitely hold me over for 6 months or so until I save up more for a better set.  I tend to be the go-to headphone guy among family and friends (even though I consider myself a newb here, just a long-time lurker), so I'm sure they'll find a home for themselves at some point. Thanks for the input guys!

Jun 7, 2011 at 7:44 PM Post #14 of 16
UPDATE:

Received the headphones, looked great, but right ear was really quiet.  Tried to get them replaced through sonystyle but the refurbished was out of stock and they refused to replace it with a new.  The best they offered was the v500 dj, which I figured weren't nearly as good.  At least I got all my money back, but I had to haggle for the $5 shipping I paid to be refunded.

So good luck dealing with Sonystyle if you have a faulty product.  The price was good though, but I guess their refurbishing process is quite bad if they ship out faulty refurbished products.  Hopefully I can get these again for a good price some time soon. Now I'm waiting it out with some Koss UR40s that I got at Blockbuster for $7.49 on clearance :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back