Deal on DT990 / 600 Ohm
Jul 9, 2010 at 1:29 PM Post #16 of 85

some of us have much better experiences with USPS than UPS. My local UPS center/hub and it's drivers are pretty bad.
smile.gif

Quote:

Why?  Free shipping is through USPS instead of UPS and also there is not a good return policy (just in case obviously).  B&H offers a 15 day return with no questions asked and no restocking fees (as long as it is in new condition, original packaging, all accessories are there, etc).  For the exact same price, it is a no brainer in my opinion. . .other wise I usually stick to Amazon simply due to the lowest prices.

Jul 9, 2010 at 1:59 PM Post #17 of 85
brings me happiness to see these cans getting some love and being snatched up by more head-fiers.

as David M. said, they've been perpetually on sale since February.  i saw his thread back then, and got them myself.

and they are all that.
naturally, they won't be to everyone's tastes, but i find them more engaging than any other headphones i've ever heard...

Jul 9, 2010 at 2:07 PM Post #18 of 85

Quote:

and they are all that.
naturally, they won't be to everyone's tastes, but i find them more engaging than any other headphones i've ever heard...

I agree.... They are fantastic. Enjoy your new cans!

Jul 9, 2010 at 4:59 PM Post #19 of 85
I am really enjoying mine so far. . .massive step up from the HD555's.  I am waiting on my friend to bring his HD600's over so I can directly compare the two tonight though.  My thoughts in doing this comparison. . .I am not looking for the DT990's to be better than the HD600's. . .just seeing if they are 2/3rds the headphone (as this is the price difference).  As long as they are at least this good, I will feel it was/will be a sound investment.

Jul 9, 2010 at 5:05 PM Post #20 of 85

Quote:
some of us have much better experiences with USPS than UPS. My local UPS center/hub and it's drivers are pretty bad.
smile.gif

Well, I know the UPS driver that delivers my stuff here personally.  He is a very nice and respectful man that actually takes pride in his job unlike some out there.  That being said, the postal service here where I live are completely stupid.  Shipped two packages out at the same time, at the same post office, labelled the same way that were sold on ebay.  One got sent back to my house (was only going over one state), but yet the other one. . .the one I EXPECTED to have issues with, went without a hitch to an APO address in Germany.  Go figure, only a moron can get that crap messed up.

Now, after saying all that. . .I still fully expect my package to be drop kicked a few times in its transit from state to state with UPS, haha.  One time when I was living down in Charlotte for college, the UPS guy THREW my packed up to my 2nd floor balcony. . .it was a HDD. 
blink.gif

Jul 9, 2010 at 7:27 PM Post #21 of 85
I got them a little while ago and here are some quick impressions. The DT880 is balanced/recabled but will be used with a 4-pin xlr to 1/4" adapter and will be driven by both the Roc and the WA3+. Source is the 'XCD-99' (Music Hall CD25.2), the DAC is the 'Music Hall DAC25.2'. 

The DT990 are brighter than the DT880 and have like 3X as much bass, but the bass is well controlled and defined! WOW I didn't expect that at all. It's not the "thump" I was expecting, and man the bass on these sounds so good, albeit a bit too much for my tastes, but they do their job on recordings that are bass light.

I find them to sound more open and airy than the DT880 and have more space to them. The DT990's surely do have more treble energy then the DT880, but it's not piercing or strident to me. I love bright headphones :wink: and these win for me.

For the mids man the DT990's have slightly more midrange to them, but it's not as clear as the DT880. Voices aren't as crisp at all, though guitars sound rather good. Female voices sound really good to me on both.

That's for the quick impressions.

Jul 9, 2010 at 8:59 PM Post #23 of 85
I just got my pair. Yes, the bass is very strong, a little too much for me too.

Quote:
I got them a little while ago and here are some quick impressions. The DT880 is balanced/recabled but will be used with a 4-pin xlr to 1/4" adapter and will be driven by both the Roc and the WA3+. Source is the 'XCD-99' (Music Hall CD25.2), the DAC is the 'Music Hall DAC25.2'. 

The DT990 are brighter than the DT880 and have like 3X as much bass, but the bass is well controlled and defined! WOW I didn't expect that at all. It's not the "thump" I was expecting, and man the bass on these sounds so good, albeit a bit too much for my tastes, but they do their job on recordings that are bass light.

I find them to sound more open and airy than the DT880 and have more space to them. The DT990's surely do have more treble energy then the DT880, but it's not piercing or strident to me. I love bright headphones :wink: and these win for me.

For the mids man the DT990's have slightly more midrange to them, but it's not as clear as the DT880. Voices aren't as crisp at all, though guitars sound rather good. Female voices sound really good to me on both.

That's for the quick impressions.

Jul 9, 2010 at 9:36 PM Post #24 of 85

Quote:
I just got my pair. Yes, the bass is very strong, a little too much for me too.

Give them a bit of time.  You may adjust to them, and the low end may calm down a little as the driver settles.

Jul 9, 2010 at 10:34 PM Post #25 of 85
Can someone give me some impressions on how they sound with pop and rock? All of the beyers I had in the past had too much recession (or politeness) in the mids for these genres. Thanks.

Jul 9, 2010 at 10:38 PM Post #26 of 85
They are definitely not mid-centric cans, but I hate laid-back headphones, and I definitely wouldn't call these polite.  If you feed enough juice into them, they have a very neutral and fun signature, with enough brightness to keep things exciting, enough mids to bring out guitar, piano, and vocals, along with nice, slamming, fun bass.

They aren't as forward as Grados, of course.

Really, though, if you didn't like the 990/250, I doubt that the 600s are enough different that they will change your mind, despite the night and day difference that some people describe.

Now, the DT150 dishes out some serious rocking...

Jul 9, 2010 at 11:58 PM Post #27 of 85

Quote:
Give them a bit of time.  You may adjust to them, and the low end may calm down a little as the driver settles.

Personally I don't think they will change at all. I really don't believe in burn in at all. So yeah, but I will let them run in for you guys.

Jul 10, 2010 at 12:17 AM Post #28 of 85
So you'd say they're more of a V-equalized version of the DT880 600ohm? I've been interested in the variations of the DT880 and DT990 for a while now and it's agonizing trying to make a decision. At this price, it's closer to a DT880/250 than a DT880/600...

is there another headphone you can roughly compare the bass to? A lot of people say the DT990 has a lot more bass than the DT880 but I can't find a good reference point for that (I have SR60s, JVC RX700s, AD700s and Ultrasone Pro650s as my main reference points). I've also been afraid that the DT880 is a little too bass light for my tastes, but I've never heard them, so idkmybffjill.

Jul 10, 2010 at 2:26 AM Post #29 of 85

Well between the 250Ohm and 600Ohm versions of the DT880, the 600Ohm has far more mids so the 250Ohm to me would have the V shape EQ (yes I have had both).

The 600Ohm DT990 has plenty of midrange presence and sounds great for rock IMO. I've heard the 250Ohm version as well and they were even more V shaped than the 250Ohm DT880.

As far as bass quantity, they have more bass than a D5000 IMO. Easily more impact and extension. Plenty of thump for you Rap lovers out there. They also sound much smoother than the D5000 in regards to the treble and mids. They are much more open as well.

The DT880 still has better imaging, but the DT990 has a bigger soundstage.

If you need to know more I have had the 250Ohm/600Ohm versions of the DT770/DT880/DT990 all at once before, so ask away.

Quote:
Can someone give me some impressions on how they sound with pop and rock? All of the beyers I had in the past had too much recession (or politeness) in the mids for these genres. Thanks.

I think the DT880 and DT990 in the 600Ohm variations have more than enough bass for pop/rock. The DT990 is far more rock'n sounding and great for metal IMO. In my opinion they both have far more mids than their 250Ohm counterparts by a large margin.

Jul 10, 2010 at 4:15 AM Post #30 of 85

Quote:
Personally I don't think they will change at all. I really don't believe in burn in at all. So yeah, but I will let them run in for you guys.

I'm pretty skeptical about it too, but I think we adjust to what we're hearing.  I try to put it in terms that will still leave room for the placebo effect, though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back