DEAL ALERT (for Canadians): Shure SRH750DJ at Future Shop for only $129
Jun 4, 2010 at 11:14 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

Pianist

Headphoneus Supremus
I couldn't find a thread about this, so I decided to create one myself and to inform fellow Canadian head-fi'ers of this excellent sale on the Shure SRH750 DJ going on at Future Shop right now. It expires on June 19th. Personally, I am going to pick up a pair of these myself for such a good price, considering I can also easily return them.
biggrin.gif
Now, it's not exactly a bargain of course, but it's a good price on excellent sounding headphones I think. I auditioned a pair of these recently at Moog Audio (they are currently selling for over $150 there BTW) and the sound is real nice - solid bass, natural mids and good treble extension and quality for closed cans. Also, soundstage is surprisingly vast.

Jun 5, 2010 at 1:52 AM Post #3 of 22
Why does this have to happen when I'm away on vacation? D:

Jun 5, 2010 at 3:41 PM Post #4 of 22
Ok, I got a pair of these today. I listened to them for a couple of hours and so far I have mixed feelings about these cans. On one hand, they have very good clarity, fairly tight bass, good separation and detail and nice imaging for closed cans. On the other hand, I find them too bright sounding at this point and also not present enough in the mids. These have a pretty pronounced V-curve out of the box, but the highs are especially prominent. I am listening to these out of my Clip though, so the bass may get more powerful with better sources of course, but then at 32 Ohms these should be very easy to drive. Not that the bass is lacking - it is louder than the mids, but the mid and upper bass seems a little sucked out compared to the sub bass. Overall, if these don't change with burn in, they will definitely be going back to Future Shop soon. I think the SRH840 is a much better balanced sounding headphone out of the box. I also own a pair of Mb Quart QP805 HS closed cans which I only bought for 30 bucks used and they also sound better, more balanced than the SRH750 DJs. But of course, that's just my personal preference coming into play here. I am sure many people will like this colored sound much more than I do. But myself, I am just too used to neutral/slightly warm sounding headphones, so these are not for me I think.

Jun 5, 2010 at 4:06 PM Post #5 of 22
Tempted to go and get these, too.

Update: Drove out and got a pair. 150 CAD with tax is a good price for these. The bass is a little shifted to the left, its either my ears (which are a bit left oriented anyways) or it needs burn in.
The clamping is kinda high, that'll probably go down with use, too.
@Pianist - tubes help balance the sound out compared to when I was using them with my iPod.

Jun 5, 2010 at 8:32 PM Post #6 of 22
Ok, I just plugged these into my Sony player and WOW - they sound amazing! I guess my Clip and Samsung T9 just couldn't drive them properly. But wait... I plugged them back into my T9 and they seem to sound better than before! Must be burn in.

The bass is really something on these. It is probably the best low end I've ever heard in a full-sized can. Only my EarSonics SM3 IEMs has similar depth, power and detail in the bass. I can hear sub bass rumbles which I've never heard before in some recordings. The mids seem to become more pronounced with more burn in and are of really excellent quality, especially for closed cans at this pricepoint. They are very clear and nicely detailed and textured. Piano sounds quite nice with these and also human voices, both male and female sound very natural. The highs are a bit emphasized, but with zero harshness or grain. They extend surprisingly high and are very detailed. Overall, I am really impressed with the SRH750 DJs right now and I almost feel embarassed criticizing them so much in my last post - criticism for which there seem to be no good reasons now.

Jun 5, 2010 at 8:44 PM Post #7 of 22
Quote:
Ok, I just plugged these into my Sony player and WOW - they sound amazing! I guess my Clip and Samsung T9 just couldn't drive them properly. But wait... I plugged them back into my T9 and they seem to sound better than before! Must be burn in.

The bass is really something on these. It is probably the best low end I've ever heard in a full-sized can. Only my EarSonics SM3 IEMs has similar depth, power and detail in the bass. I can hear sub bass rumbles which I've never heard before in some recordings. The mids seem to become more pronounced with more burn in and are of really excellent quality, especially for closed cans at this pricepoint. They are very clear and nicely detailed and textured. Piano sounds quite nice with these and also human voices, both male and female sound very natural. The highs are a bit emphasized, but with zero harshness or grain. They extend surprisingly high and are very detailed. Overall, I am really impressed with the SRH750 DJs right now and I almost feel embarassed criticizing them so much in my last post - criticism for which there seem to be no good reasons now.

I have these headphones too. This post makes much more sense to me than your previous post.

Jun 5, 2010 at 9:53 PM Post #8 of 22

Quote:
I have these headphones too. This post makes much more sense to me than your previous post.

Well, I did mention that they had good technical ability from the beginning - just that they initially lacked balance. Burn in as well as switching to a better source seems to have helped a lot and I find these to be much better balanced now. While I realize that they are not quite as hi-fi sounding in the mids and highs as my EarSonics SM3 or my MB Quart QP805, they are still very, very good and they blow the Mb Quarts away in low bass performance and even surpass my SM3 I think - very impressive. Oh and BTW, compared to SRH840, I feel that the 750 DJs have much better low bass performance, but are not quite up there in the mids and highs, although they are not that far behind. The SRH840 just sounds a bit more refined I think. It will be interesting to see how the 750s change with more burn in.

Jun 6, 2010 at 12:28 AM Post #9 of 22
had them stretch out a bit and these are much more comfortable now. And yeah the bass is pretty great, these are really fun cans and will be perfect for what I want: quick and dirty listening. I'm just going to use them out of a laptop/ipod for studying when I'm not at my computer at home.
They also feel very durable.

Jun 6, 2010 at 1:47 PM Post #10 of 22
Pianist,  glad to hear that you have tried these.  Always respect your point of view .  I loved the SRH840 but wished they had more bottom end.  I was about to try the Roland's you reviewed awhile back as well but $129 is tough to beat.  Keep your impressions coming as the burn in continues.

Jun 16, 2010 at 6:51 PM Post #11 of 22
Ok, my final thoughts on the Shure SRH750 DJ after approximately 60 hours of burn in, which I think is sufficient to evaluate a headphone fairly well. Additional burn in may improve the sound, but from my experience with many headphones, the difference, if any, will most likely be marginal:

With burn in, I find that the treble was tamed nicely and is no longer overemphasized, like it was at the beginning. But as the treble became less pronounced, I also realized that the mids and highs on the SRH750 DJ are really not that great - they are quite neutral, but they lack refinement and especially the upper treble is a bit out of focus, making the SRH750s sound a bit muddy. A good amp and source can make the sound clearer and more refined, but I doubt that the Shures will benefit much from amping since they are so sensitive at only 32 Ohms. The bass quality is awesome on these cans, but unfortunately I find that the low end quantity is simply too much for a lot of music I listen too (mostly instrumental, smooth jazz and pop). It does not drown out the mids and the highs, but the pounding sub bass gives me a headache after a while, unless I listen at very low volumes. Listening at low volumes, however, I find that the mids are also not present enough and not refined enough to allow me to enjoy music.

Overall, I think SRH750 is a solid set of closed cans for the price and beats such other contenders in this category as the ATH-M50, M-Audio Q40 and Roland RH-300 in some ways, it also looses out in other ways. For example, I feel that Roland RH-300 has a better balanced sound, with better presence in the midrange and a softer, more musical treble, while the M-Audio Q40 has a much more musical low mids and better focus. I think SRH440 is also a better choice if you are looking for a balanced sound, even though it may be technically inferior in the bass and treble. The only headphone that I think SRH750 really beat in pretty much every way is ATH-M50, although the M50s may still be preferable to those who like softer mids and highs - the SRH750 presents the upper mids and treble in a rather aggressive manner which some people, including myself don't like. M50 is actually more upfront sounding, but softer due to a dip in the upper mids.

For just a little more, or even the same or lower price, depending on where you buy it from, I think Shure's top of the line SRH840 is a superior headphone in just about every way. The 840s have better clarity, better resolution, more solid imaging and a more expansive soundstage, and a generally more tonally balanced, yet at the same time more musical (IMO of course) presentation. They don't have the glorious, tooth loosening sub bass of the SRH750, but they still provide quality bass response that is still emphasized and warm, but more forgiving at medium to high listening volumes.

Jun 16, 2010 at 6:55 PM Post #12 of 22
Rule#1: DJ = CRAP

Jun 16, 2010 at 7:12 PM Post #13 of 22

Quote:
Rule#1: DJ = CRAP

lol Well, the SRH750s are certainly anything but crappy - they just haven't met my expectations. I was looking for a fairly balanced sounding headphone with more natural mids and highs than on the previous closed cans I tried near this price point (M50, SRH440, RH-300, Q40), but unfortunately the SRH750s proved to be rather heavily biased towards the low end and also not exactly what I would call natural in the mids and highs due to the slight midrange suckout, peaky highs (there is a peak centered around 3 kHz and the region from about 9-12 kHz is quite 'hot' on the SRH750s) and also the lack of refinement/focus.

Basically, I was expecting the SRH750 to be the same quality as SRH840, but easier to drive and with more lively mids. It turned out that the SRH750s have a lower sound quality in the mids and highs, but also add emphasis in the bass and highs that I find unnecessary and unpleasant.

Jun 16, 2010 at 7:23 PM Post #14 of 22

Quote:
It turned out that the SRH750s have a lower sound quality in the mids and highs, but also add emphasis in the bass and highs that I find unnecessary and unpleasant.

Hence the DJ = CRAP rule.

Jun 16, 2010 at 7:33 PM Post #15 of 22

Quote:
Hence the DJ = CRAP rule.

Not necessarily, I think Sennheiser HD25-1 is a nicely balanced DJ can - the bass and treble are a little emphasized, but only a little. But with the SRH750, the lows are a bit out of proportion. The remind me a lot of Ultrasone PRO900. Although the SRH750 bass is much better controlled than on the stock Ultrasones, it has that unpleasant domination.

But also keep in mind that there are many people out there who like boosted bass and treble, so for them the SRH750 may just be the perfect headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back