DDC - Digital USB interfaces - Xmos or Amanero Combo384 based - Raspberry Pi - HifiBerry DAC+ Pro - reviews, comparison, modifications and USB-Audio in general
Feb 28, 2016 at 5:40 AM Post #62 of 569
I found some commercial gimmicks in TaoBao today:

Q-1  Xmos/XU208 @RMB239.00 each,

Q-1S  Xmos/XU208 @RMB239.00 each,

X-1  Xmos/XU-208 @RMB369.00 each

F-1  Xmos/XU-208 @RMB999.00 each

Feb 28, 2016 at 10:27 AM Post #63 of 569
very nice found i translate some of the f1 specs

F-1 The reason why high-end positioning, primarily using three black & Technology:

1, full isolation technology, 150Mbps full-chip isolation, interference can be completely isolated from the PC;

2, source synchronous technology and CPLD shaping technology, I2S signal isolation after the re-shaping; thus eliminating the isolation chip to bring added jitter;

3, the independent development of the system clock, usingfemtosecond CRYSTEK custom clock, ultra-low phase noise, low jitter.

i will wait until this xmos new x200 to become available in full working unit

seems like this is worth to wait the next gen of xmos

Feb 28, 2016 at 11:06 AM Post #64 of 569
There is a cheaper USB powered Breeze for those looking for a bargain. Probably the best available at that price.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/261932067307?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Feb 29, 2016 at 11:50 AM Post #66 of 569
Anyone had problems with Amanero Combo384 receivers, NEC cards and Linux ? My DAC has the Amanero chipset and my new USB card with the NEC chip won't play, although the card is seen with aplay -l

Other USB cards work fine, just the NEC one (Paul pang audio, JCAT)

Anyone else had this?

Feb 29, 2016 at 11:59 AM Post #67 of 569
Anyone had problems with Amanero Combo384 receivers, NEC cards and Linux ? My DAC has the Amanero chipset and my new USB card with the NEC chip won't play, although the card is seen with aplay -l

Anyone else had this?

No idea about Linux....

but no issues with windows for my M11 dac and PPA3 OCXO

I did however had to install asio4all to get asio to properly work with Jriver for some odd reason.

But I don't use the Amanero Combo 384 anymore. It just sounds funny compared to other DDC's i've used.

Feb 29, 2016 at 12:10 PM Post #68 of 569
Thanks for the prompt reply

Someone suggested it was a firmware issue with the Amanero chipset, in which case I will have to go DDC route as I can't see how I can upgrade the firmware in the DAC itself !!

Bit of a pain I can't use my $400 PCI-e USB card though :mad:

So the "best" DDC currently available for sensible money is the Melodius or Pro3A is that right?

Feb 29, 2016 at 12:22 PM Post #69 of 569
Thanks for the prompt reply

Someone suggested it was a firmware issue with the Amanero chipset, in which case I will have to go DDC route as I can't see how I can upgrade the firmware in the DAC itself !!

Bit of a pain I can't use my $400 PCI-e USB card though
mad.gif

So the "best" DDC currently available for sensible money is the Melodius or Pro3A is that right?

Mind you I have not tested any ddc's with linux

I would choose Pro3A for bang for buck. I havent tried the newest melodious yet, but still would lean towards pro3a.

Feb 29, 2016 at 3:44 PM Post #70 of 569

Anyone else had this?

Do you have the JCAT card? If so, you should ask those guys about Amanero compatibility. But I can almost guarantee you the DXIO Pro3A will give you a nice upgrade over ANY built-in USB. You can use a Viablue adapter if you don't want to buy a SPDIF cable b/c the Pro3A is super small and light and can hang off the back of a DAC much like a Audiophilleo.

Mar 1, 2016 at 7:41 AM Post #71 of 569
I don't have the JCAT card, rather the PPA one but I understand they both use the same NEC chipset. I will ask them though thanks for the top tip :D

Notwithstanding that I think I will look at the Pro3A as I have heard lots of good things and the cost is reasonable

Cheers

Mar 1, 2016 at 7:37 PM Post #73 of 569
Just been looking at Pro3a cards and there seems to be more than one! Which one should I be considering for best quality please?

You should email them because it looks like they currently sold out.

http://www.diyinhk.com/shop/audio-kits/97-xmos-192khz-high-quality-usb-to-spdif-with-ultralow-noise-1uv-regulator-wmanual-power-switch.html

Mar 1, 2016 at 9:03 PM Post #74 of 569

You should email them because it looks like they currently sold out.

http://www.diyinhk.com/shop/audio-kits/97-xmos-192khz-high-quality-usb-to-spdif-with-ultralow-noise-1uv-regulator-wmanual-power-switch.html

I got my order in for one yesterday and they emailed me saying it was shipped. So I may have snagged the last one...

Mar 2, 2016 at 10:06 AM Post #75 of 569
I am re-posting my question here per Alex's suggestion.

I just got a Melodious MX-U8 usb/spdif converter from eBay. It was shipped with DHL express, I got it in 3 days in the US.

It is the new chassis with the round corner, heavy build casting aluminum and looks very nice. The LEDs are too bright. First, I tried it with windows 7, it has some glitches (I have to switch off/on the U8 to let the computer find it). In my speaker system (W4S DAC1-LE/dsd, DIY tube preamp, Dynaco ST-70 amp, B&W N805 speakers), it is better compared to the usb port in W4S DAC. The music sounded sweet and fuller, and just "right" to me. I am impressed, because according to some reviews, the USB with DSD support on the W4S DAC was very decent, on par with some "good name" DDCs.

However, the good news ends here. I have no luck to play any sound from my Cubietruck Linux (Armbian Wheezy arm6hf -> LMS 7.9 -> squeezelite 1.8). The squeezelite could find the U8 when turn on the MX-U8 after linux boot up. But if I reboot the linux when the MX-U8 was on, the linux wouldn't find the U8. The squeezelite could find the U8 again after I power off and on the U8, but still no sound. This linux system had no issues with HiFace Two and the W4S DAC usb-dsd input.

I also tried Daphile and Ubuntu on my Lenovo laptop. The same thing happened. The Daphile sometime can see the U8, but never could make a sound. It is weird, because all three lights including the DSD LED lights up once power up in all Linux systems I tried. I was not playing any DSD files. Even I unplug the USB cable from the unit, the DSD light keeps on, which seem like the XMOS froze. I am not sure I got a 100% working unit.

The "ultimate edition" is mainly the new chassis (cost more) with the same version 1.7 board. I talked to the designer, Mr. Liu at Taobao store yesterday night. He had no idea regarding to my problem. By the way, he confirmed with me that the MX-U8 is 100% compatible with Linux before I put the order.

Anyone used the MX-U8 1.7 with Linux? It seems not a "setting" thing similar to the drives for Windows. Both my Hiface Two (XMOS chip) and W4S usb (Amanero?) had no issues with Linux. I appreciate your inputs. Is Gustard U12 compatible with Linux?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back