DDC - Digital USB interfaces - Xmos or Amanero Combo384 based - Raspberry Pi - HifiBerry DAC+ Pro - reviews, comparison, modifications and USB-Audio in general
Mar 6, 2016 at 7:52 AM Post #91 of 569
DIYINHK will not make the Pro3a any more from what I understand from them. They wrote to me  in an e-mail that within about two months they will have a new and improved converter.

I think we should sit back and wait.

Mar 6, 2016 at 8:37 AM Post #92 of 569
Yeah, received same mail from them.

"quote"
We should have a new usb to spdif converter based on the new 16 core xmos chip. I hope it can be available in two month.
Sorry for any inconvenience caused.

If anyone here is willing to sell me a Pro3a I would be happy to buy it.
Pretty sure it´s more than enough for my system.

Mar 6, 2016 at 9:15 AM Post #93 of 569
  DIYINHK will not make the Pro3a any more from what I understand from them. They wrote to me  in an e-mail that within about two months they will have a new and improved converter.

I think we should sit back and wait.

i bet that new controller is based on new xmos 200 chipset it will be very interesting the future of usb filter/booster/whatever

Mar 7, 2016 at 3:05 AM Post #95 of 569
HifiBerry Digiplus has SPDIF only, so NO I2S output, and no good clocks. DAC+ Pro has very good clocks and I2S output. No need for XMOS (XMOS is for USB), I2S is as basic as possible and best.

Don't know the design of RPI, but connector is a 26 pole header with all the signals on it, including I2S direct from cpu. DAC+ Pro connects to this header and reclocks with it's own low phase noise clocks.

I thought that was just a standard Dac board, with analog outputs only. If you can extract the reclocked digital/i2s signal out of it then I guess it's already the ideal device ... and a super bargain.
Good luck with the project and keep the good news flowing :)

Mar 8, 2016 at 3:10 AM Post #97 of 569
My Raspberry Pi 3, including HifiBerry DAC+ Pro, and wooden enclosure will arrive today 
wink_face.gif

Will try this combo on I2S with seperate psu's for rpi - dac+ analog, dac+ digital and seperate psu for xo's.

Hope I get time for this coming weekend 
biggrin.gif

Mar 8, 2016 at 1:28 PM Post #98 of 569
RPI 3 not received today, just came home and fiddled a bit around with RPI 1B (2usb ports only).
Installed PiCoreplayer 1.19 and got it working with my USB Dac.

Sounds not bad at all, but in no means comparable to my DualPC setup (Server 2012 / AO / JPlay).

Seems compressed, not that airy, not that big and deep soundstage, notice some listening fatigue, but, I think there would be A LOT of people who were VERY happy with this result 
wink_face.gif

RPI powered with 10800mAh battery, all stock, no mods.

To be honest, I'm impressed!

VERY curious what I2S from HifiBerry DAC+ Pro on RPI 3 will bring me,,,,,,,,,,

To be continued......

Mar 9, 2016 at 8:08 AM Post #99 of 569
Today I received all the stuff, couldn't wait to "assemble" it, this is how it looks:

RaspBerry Pi 3

HifiBerry DAC+ Pro

The Combo

In wooden case

Will have to cut some holes in it for psu lines and I2S lines, but that will be an easy job to accomplish.

To start with, I will power RPI with 15600mAh battery power.

Since DAC+Pro only has an option to feed Analog side externally, I need to mod the pcb design and change it to feed the DAC+Pro's digital side externally.
This project is intended to use the I2S connection ONLY, and take NO use of the onboard DAC and analog outputs.

So, at first I will cut-off the 5V needed for analog (removing the 0 Ohm resistor at DAC+Pro). This way the analog side doesn't influence the digital side.
I have to investigate how to power the DAC+Pro's digital side externally, so it's power is completely isolated from RPI's power.
It seems I have to cut 3.3V pcb lines, or cut the header from rpi and feed it with 3.3V from 0.8uV ultra low noise psu. Maybe I have to bypass the onboard regulator too.

To be continued.....

Mar 10, 2016 at 3:07 AM Post #101 of 569
  can u share about the pi3, some people said it hot , and can be overheat

here's the link i saw
http://makezine.com/2016/03/02/raspberry-pi-3-not-halt-catch-fire/

Hi Hugoboss,

Those measurements were made under 100% CPU load.

I tested my Picoreplayer on Raspberry Pi 1 with 24/196 content and it worked flawless.
This means RPI 1 has plenty of CPU power to do the job, so will RPI 3.

RPI 3 NEVER will have to use 100% CPU power to play 24/196, so it will NOT run hot.

But thanks for pointing me to this, I will measure temperature when it's running.

Mar 10, 2016 at 3:13 AM Post #102 of 569
I wanted to start my RPI project yesterday, sadly Pi does not support SD cards bigger than 32Gb, and I only had a 64Gb MicroSD at hand,,,,,
In the beginning I thought the device was defective, but then I tested the MicroSD in my older RPI and it didn't work too,,,,

So, today I will buy a small MicroSD (Picoreplayer only needs about 60Mb!!!!!!) and will test it's out of the box SQ.

Mar 11, 2016 at 11:50 AM Post #104 of 569
  any different in sound quality beetwen pi1-pi2-pi3
since they almost in the same price range.

I have no idea, I'm also new to Pi.

Btw, there isn't a picoreplayer version available that works with the new Pi3, so I have to park my project until it's available :frowning2:

Mar 12, 2016 at 9:09 AM Post #105 of 569
 I have no idea, I'm also new to Pi.

Btw, there isn't a picoreplayer version available that works with the new Pi3, so I have to park my project until it's available :frowning2:

That pico os looks like a very good option.

But why stoping such an interesting project?! Any RPi linux distro with a player like mpd should be more than enough for initial sound tests. And there are many 'audio' distros out there .. volumio, runeaudio, moode, archphile, etc. They are all much 'fatter' but you do get various goodies like lowlatency/realtime kernels, UI goodies, remotes, etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back