DDC - Digital USB interfaces - Xmos or Amanero Combo384 based - Raspberry Pi - HifiBerry DAC+ Pro - reviews, comparison, modifications and USB-Audio in general
Mar 4, 2016 at 7:10 AM Post #76 of 569
I don't think that 'compatible with linux' means quite what we all think

What it actually seems to mean is more like 'compatible with certain builds of certain Linux kernels with certain extensions and then only on certain DACs or USB/S/PDIF converters with certain USB input boards'

So my PPA USB board with Daphile would not work with one DAC I have with an Amanero input but did with another and one with an XMOS chip

Because there are so many DACs out there and so many subtlety different implementations of Linux it is impossible for a manufacturer to absolutely guarantee that a given combination will work

caveat emptor as they say

Mar 4, 2016 at 8:29 AM Post #77 of 569
Yesterday my ControlPC died hardware wise, not planning to build a new system since I think there are better options instead of Windows/Linux - U S B  systems.

If reading all those reports on Intona/Uptone/iFi/W4S/ one get's the nasty feeling USB is NOT the way to go for.

Since Server 2012, in DualPC setup, JPlay and AO walked into my life there has changed a lot. First of all, Server 2012 in comporison to Windows 7 was a huge improvement.
And, testing all the DDC's, they finally got me building my own USB DAC.

2 Weeks ago my isolated XMOS suddenly stopped working, and, finally I had to remove the external 5V and use USB power again. Not so funny,,,,,
And, yesterday my ControlPC died, not so funny either,,,,,

I am realy convinced I2S is the way to go, especially it's the native data format for dac chips. It's just that one has to be VERY carefully to use as short as possible wiring, shielded if possible.

Last weeks I read a lot articles about Raspberry Pi, and HifiBerry DAC+ Pro. It can derive I2S directly from system, so no other hardware needed. HifiBerry DAC+ Pro has it's own clocks on board!
Seems this possibly could be a killer, and, it surely is VERY cheap!!

There are several software possibilities to use with RPI, including clients for Android and MAC OS, so you can use your handheld as a remote control device.

There are many reports of people who had DualPC setup, with lots of expensive cabling, filters, expensive software, expensive hardware, and those reports tell us RPI sounds much better.
I will compare with RPI definately, still have an i7 laptop with server 2012 and AO/JPlay which I can configure as ControlPC, and compare with RPI.

Will keep you guys informed if it really is the way to go, exciting times,,,,,, 
wink_face.gif

Mar 4, 2016 at 6:33 PM Post #84 of 569
  There is a cheaper USB powered Breeze for those looking for a bargain. Probably the best available at that price.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/261932067307?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

I am looking for a converter and was aiming for the Pro3A.
Since it´s currently sold out I ordered this one, thanks for the tip!

Anyone bought from this seller?
Transferred money through Paypal 2 day´s ago and after that sent him or her a message about where to find driver.
No answer to that message and no tracking number since it´s not shipped yet.

Mar 5, 2016 at 11:19 AM Post #86 of 569
Yesterday my ControlPC died hardware wise, not planning to build a new system since I think there are better options instead of Windows/Linux - U S B  systems.

If reading all those reports on Intona/Uptone/iFi/W4S/ one get's the nasty feeling USB is NOT the way to go for.

Since Server 2012, in DualPC setup, JPlay and AO walked into my life there has changed a lot. First of all, Server 2012 in comporison to Windows 7 was a huge improvement.

2 Weeks ago my isolated XMOS suddenly stopped working, and, finally I had to remove the external 5V and use USB power again. Not so funny,,,,,

I am realy convinced I2S is the way to go, especially it's the native data format for dac chips. It's just that one has to be VERY carefully to use as short as possible wiring, shielded if possible.

Last weeks I read a lot articles about Raspberry Pi, and HifiBerry DAC+ Pro. It can derive I2S directly from system, so no other hardware needed. HifiBerry DAC+ Pro has it's own clocks on board!

There are several software possibilities to use with RPI, including clients for Android and MAC OS, so you can use your handheld as a remote control device.

There are many reports of people who had DualPC setup, with lots of expensive cabling, filters, expensive software, expensive hardware, and those reports tell us RPI sounds much better.
I will compare with RPI definately, still have an i7 laptop with server 2012 and AO/JPlay which I can configure as ControlPC, and compare with RPI.

Will keep you guys informed if it really is the way to go, exciting times,,,,,, :wink_face:

I think you are on the right path and wish you luck. Btw, bought a zatoo x6 recently and the lil thing sounds unexpectedly good over hdmi & marantz receiver.
However you may wanna give up on the RPi and look for better boards. The clocks are quite basic and a pretty serious issue. See https://hifiduino.wordpress.com/2014/11/13/raspberry-pi-b-digital-audio/.
Not sure about the latest rpi3 model but there are lots of people trying similar boards on dyiaudio.com.
Have fun!

Mar 5, 2016 at 11:23 AM Post #87 of 569
  It looks like an alternative to HifiBerry DAC+ Pro

IQaudIO Pi-DAC+

It looks neet but seems to have no I2S - OUT option, and that is what we need

Mar 5, 2016 at 11:26 AM Post #88 of 569

Will keep you guys informed if it really is the way to go, exciting times,,,,,, 
wink_face.gif

I think you are on the right path and wish you luck. Btw, bought a zatoo x6 recently and the lil thing sounds unexpectedly good over hdmi & marantz receiver.
However you may wanna give up on the RPi and look for better boards. The clocks are quite basic and a pretty serious issue. See https://hifiduino.wordpress.com/2014/11/13/raspberry-pi-b-digital-audio/.
Not sure about the latest rpi3 model but there are lots of people trying similar boards on dyiaudio.com.
Have fun!

Hi Prot,

RPI itself has 19.2mHz clock only, so the audio clock is jittery, but, when using HifiBerry DAC+ Pro, it has it's own, low phase noise, xo's.
And, they are software switched, so only one xo is working when listening to a track.

Only drawback: 192kHz max support :frowning2:

Mar 5, 2016 at 12:00 PM Post #89 of 569
Hi Prot,

RPI itself has 19.2mHz clock only, so the audio clock is jittery, but, when using HifiBerry DAC+ Pro, it has it's own, low phase noise, xo's.
And, they are software switched, so only one xo is working when listening to a track.

Only drawback: 192kHz max support :frowning2:

That is of course a much better combo. But this looks even more interesting https://www.hifiberry.com/digiplus/. A better board with xmos, superclocks and i2s output might be ideal.

Btw, do you know what kind of conn to rpi is used by those boards? Is that some sort of direct pcie line to the cpu?

Mar 6, 2016 at 2:44 AM Post #90 of 569

Hi Prot,

Only drawback: 192kHz max support
frown.gif

That is of course a much better combo. But this looks even more interesting https://www.hifiberry.com/digiplus/. A better board with xmos, superclocks and i2s output might be ideal.

Btw, do you know what kind of conn to rpi is used by those boards? Is that some sort of direct pcie line to the cpu?

HifiBerry Digiplus has SPDIF only, so NO I2S output, and no good clocks. DAC+ Pro has very good clocks and I2S output. No need for XMOS (XMOS is for USB), I2S is as basic as possible and best.

Don't know the design of RPI, but connector is a 26 pole header with all the signals on it, including I2S direct from cpu. DAC+ Pro connects to this header and reclocks with it's own low phase noise clocks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back