DC Area Head-Fi Meet - Saturday, November 1, 2014
Sep 10, 2014 at 7:05 PM Post #31 of 190
Actually planning to buy a Lyr 2 and Uber-frost at the end of October.  

Right now I'm playing around with two different cheap combinations, I've got an Aune T1 and I've got an Audioengine D1 going into a Musical Fidelity X-Can V3 (got it as a gift, hence cheap) which is my current favorite, even rolled a couple Amperex tubes in there instead of the stock Phillips tubes, I like it a lot.  

I really just got back into this hobby at the start of this year, and boy am I glad I did, the stuff coming out these days is amazing.

Sep 10, 2014 at 9:56 PM Post #32 of 190
Actually planning to buy a Lyr 2 and Uber-frost at the end of October.  

Right now I'm playing around with two different cheap combinations, I've got an Aune T1 and I've got an Audioengine D1 going into a Musical Fidelity X-Can V3 (got it as a gift, hence cheap) which is my current favorite, even rolled a couple Amperex tubes in there instead of the stock Phillips tubes, I like it a lot.  

I really just got back into this hobby at the start of this year, and boy am I glad I did, the stuff coming out these days is amazing.

Nice! I'm trying to save up for the Schiit Yggdrasil.
smily_headphones1.gif

You're right, there's almost too much amazing gear coming out these days!

Sep 12, 2014 at 1:19 PM Post #33 of 190
I'll be there. I'll have my Vali, Modi, MDR-7506, and HD598.

I'll be bringing--

Modi
Gungnir
Vali
Crack+Speedball (currently 75% finished!)
Krell KSA-5 Klone of a Klone (50% chance it'll be finished and working)
Ragnarok (fat chance)
HD650
LCD-X

Oh, I definitely wanna hear that Speedball Crack.

Sep 12, 2014 at 1:49 PM Post #34 of 190
I'll be there. I'll have my Vali, Modi, MDR-7506, and HD598.
Oh, I definitely wanna hear that Speedball Crack.

I just got the Crack working (although it's a bit kludged at the moment due to a dead LED).  It sounds amazing with the HD650s--rich and musical with a dark background and excellent dynamics. The Speedball is assembled, but not installed yet, and I'd be perfectly happy to stop right here--but I guess I'll have to try it with the Speedball. I like the Vali a lot, but the Crack is a nice step up with the HD650s.

Sep 12, 2014 at 2:36 PM Post #35 of 190
Looking forward to hearing it! :)
I just got the Crack working (although it's a bit kludged at the moment due to a dead LED).  It sounds amazing with the HD650s--rich and musical with a dark background and excellent dynamics. The Speedball is assembled, but not installed yet, and I'd be perfectly happy to stop right here--but I guess I'll have to try it with the Speedball. I like the Vali a lot, but the Crack is a nice step up with the HD650s.

Sep 14, 2014 at 2:04 AM Post #36 of 190
After a sabbatical from this hobby for several months, I feel that I'll be able to make this event.  My sabbatical was basically established so that I could channel money towards another hobby; with that hobby in place, I don't feel I'll need to fund much until a bit further down the line.

Due my sabbatical, I did scale back on my gear in a large way and I'm getting back into a small buildup, but nothing like where I was before.  Too much madness in that situation.

I plan to have the following along on that Saturday:

1. Musical Fidelity V-Can headphone amplifier (version 1)

1. NuForce uDAC2

1. Hifiman HE-400i headphones

1. A pair of SennGrads headphones with a fresh pair of wooden cherry ear cups which I should receive in the coming week.  This might give the others a bit of exposure towards some of the threads here on the forum where we've taken various 40 - 50mm drivers and used them in place of the standard Grado drivers as well as the Magnum drivers.

Keeping my number of items in my collection low means more time to listen to and enjoy the music, which is really the main point of what we all desire to partake in.  Then again, having a child attending VT, a fair bit of funds go towards that priority.

Thanks for taking the time to establish this event by reserving the room, starting the thread to announce the event, etc.

Sep 14, 2014 at 10:19 AM Post #37 of 190
I'm hoping to have my housing situation settled down by the time this meet rolls around. I can bring my cans, but my actual setup is not portable, since the music source is a 30 pound pc.

Sep 14, 2014 at 12:22 PM Post #38 of 190
After a sabbatical from this hobby for several months, I feel that I'll be able to make this event.  My sabbatical was basically established so that I could channel money towards another hobby; with that hobby in place, I don't feel I'll need to fund much until a bit further down the line.

Due my sabbatical, I did scale back on my gear in a large way and I'm getting back into a small buildup, but nothing like where I was before.  Too much madness in that situation.

I plan to have the following along on that Saturday:

• Musical Fidelity V-Can headphone amplifier (version 1)

• NuForce uDAC2

• Hifiman HE-400i headphones

• A pair of SennGrads headphones with a fresh pair of wooden cherry ear cups which I should receive in the coming week.  This might give the others a bit of exposure towards some of the threads here on the forum where we've taken various 40 - 50mm drivers and used them in place of the standard Grado drivers as well as the Magnum drivers.

Keeping my number of items in my collection low means more time to listen to and enjoy the music, which is really the main point of what we all desire to partake in.  Then again, having a child attending VT, a fair bit of funds go towards that priority.

Thanks for taking the time to establish this event by reserving the room, starting the thread to announce the event, etc.

Super excited to hear the HE-400i and the SennGrados.

Sep 14, 2014 at 3:20 PM Post #40 of 190
Sure, if I actually have a car by then I'll bring them.

Sep 14, 2014 at 4:20 PM Post #41 of 190
My schedule just blew up... I'll most likely miss this one. :frowning2:
I'll put it on my schedule and plan to be there.
I'll bring the KSA5 clone, WA3 mod with tube assortment, and a new balanced surprise if I can get it done. :)
I need to get a cheap DAC between now and then for my laptop. I was source limited at the CAF. Any suggestions?

Sep 14, 2014 at 10:40 PM Post #43 of 190
Just ordered that Schiit stack, so I will likely have it there with me.

Nice, the uberfrost is great in my experience. I'm saving for a Yggdrasil/Ragnarok stack, fingers crossed for a Schiity Christmas.
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 14, 2014 at 11:01 PM Post #45 of 190
My schedule just blew up... I'll most likely miss this one.
frown.gif

Well, that stinks. Maybe it'll un-blow by November. I got my KSA-5 kit a few days ago.  The polar opposite of the Crack with it's extensive documentation--the KSA-5 "kit" is a PCB and a bag o' parts--literally nothing else. I'm calling it the KSA-5 Mutant, since it's not a proper Klone. I'll have some questions once I sort out the parts.
confused_face(1).gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back