DBA-02 vs. SE530/535, W2/UM2, W3/UM3, SM3
Nov 8, 2010 at 5:02 PM Post #31 of 38
Well... congrats on the decision... I can't wait to hear how you feel the e-Q7 compares to the DBA.

From all I've read, and my fondness for my UM2's, if I were to 'upgrade', it would probably be to the UM3x... or maybe the e-Q7.

I found the DBA-02 an 'upgrade' from the SE535. I found the SM3 mostly un-listenable as the roll-off starting in the upper mids were cutting off too much of the sound, and I'm not a basshead (though I certainly can appreciate it).

shane

Nov 8, 2010 at 5:12 PM Post #32 of 38

Quote:
Well... congrats on the decision... I can't wait to hear how you feel the e-Q7 compares to the DBA.

From all I've read, and my fondness for my UM2's, if I were to 'upgrade', it would probably be to the UM3x... or maybe the e-Q7.

I found the DBA-02 an 'upgrade' from the SE535. I found the SM3 mostly un-listenable as the roll-off starting in the upper mids were cutting off too much of the sound, and I'm not a basshead (though I certainly can appreciate it).

shane

Thanks shane! It's funny because I used to say to tell you the DBA is my sound signature and now it's the Sennheiser sound that is my sound preference.

Well first my objective is to get the CK90 for now (or E-Q7 if someone offers a trade) and then sell the CK90 and get the E-Q7 when I get a job (hopefully next year). So I will be doing a impression coming from the DBA on the CK90 and E-Q7. Kinda excited.

Nov 8, 2010 at 5:15 PM Post #33 of 38
e-Q7 may be mids and bass focused as in that's where it's strength lies but the overall impact is not much different than the DBA-02 although the quality of bass is much better than the DBA-02 not to mention better extension. Of the three CK90PRO has the most but the quality of bass can't compare to the e-Q7 although from memory it probably is better than the DBA-02.

Nov 8, 2010 at 5:30 PM Post #34 of 38

Quote:
e-Q7 may be mids and bass focused as in that's where it's strength lies but the overall impact is not much different than the DBA-02 although the quality of bass is much better than the DBA-02 not to mention better extension. Of the three CK90PRO has the most but the quality of bass can't compare to the e-Q7 although from memory it probably is better than the DBA-02.

I'm actually satisfied with the DBA's bass impact.

It's just it feels like the bass disappears when going lower and it also feels like the treble eclipses the bass a little which I don't like.
A few other small things that I mentioned before although I do like the DBA-02 a lot (especially now with perfect seal with Klipsch Bi-flange and EQ'ing).

I'm expecting the CK90 and E-Q7 to have bass/mids as the focus. Smooth and/or lush and treble to be natural and non fatuiging. 

Nov 8, 2010 at 5:37 PM Post #35 of 38
By the way what do you guys think of the Westone 3/UM3X?

Joker's description of the UM3X (in his IEM thread) also sounds like the sound I'm looking for as well.

Nov 8, 2010 at 5:44 PM Post #36 of 38
I just thought of something... (yeah, I know...)
rolleyes.gif

Have you ever used Comply (especially) or Shure Olives? The Comply's are known to 'suck out' the highs slightly. It's all I ever wear, but I trim the tips down flat to the core and either I don't notice a reduction that way, or it's very subtle. It actually might tip the balance of sound away from the highs... slightly.

Anyway, just a thought. I actually can not wear flanged (or plastic - silicone) eartips, so I can't tell you how they compare.

shane

Nov 8, 2010 at 5:50 PM Post #37 of 38

Quote:
I just thought of something... (yeah, I know...)
rolleyes.gif

Have you ever used Comply (especially) or Shure Olives? The Comply's are known to 'suck out' the highs slightly. It's all I ever wear, but I trim the tips down flat to the core and either I don't notice a reduction that way, or it's very subtle. It actually might tip the balance of sound away from the highs... slightly.

Anyway, just a thought. I actually can not wear flanged (or plastic - silicone) eartips, so I can't tell you how they compare.

shane

I used to be Olive exclusive but the bi-flange gives me the easiest insertion and best fit.

Although maybe I'll try my olives again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back