DBA-02 vs. SE530/535, W2/UM2, W3/UM3, SM3
Nov 7, 2010 at 9:15 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 38

bisayaboi

500+ Head-Fier
Hey, I'm looking for a potential upgrade to my DBA's.

Anyone who have heard the following give me their impressions?

What I'm looking for is a DBA-02 with possibly more/better bass. I have changed my tips to the Klipsch bi-flange and it gives me the best seal on the DBA-02. I noticed the bass was better and the overall sound was better but I still ponder to what an upgrade could be...

I prefer my sound mid-centric, backed up with nice/extended bass, and I don't really care about the treble. It can be rolled off (slightly dark sounding) but the DBA's showed me the power of good treble. Overall I want something smooth and natural with possibly a slight attack in the midrange (for guitars or I can just EQ that myself). Perhaps even slightly dark sounding in the treble.

In terms of importance to me:
1. Mids
2. Bass
3. Highs

Nov 7, 2010 at 9:27 AM Post #2 of 38
The new RE262 have excellent mids, and it has rather nice bass too, both amped or not but amping improves it a lot. I think there were some on the FS forum. I heard some Neil Zaza out of my Droid unamped and they were really nice. Amped? unbeatable, of course IMHO.

Nov 7, 2010 at 11:00 AM Post #3 of 38
I would say go for the Shure.
ksc75smile.gif

They are smooth and warm.

Nov 7, 2010 at 11:33 AM Post #4 of 38
+1 on the shure , if you want mids these seem to be top

Nov 7, 2010 at 12:34 PM Post #5 of 38
RE262 and SE530 are good options.  I'd also add the ER4S and e-Q7 into the mix.  These are all really good, albeit vastly different sounding, options when midrange is important.

Nov 7, 2010 at 1:01 PM Post #6 of 38
RE262 is the same as RE252? Can't find a RE-262 anywhere.

SE530/5 would be a good option I suppose albeit expensive compared to W2/W3 and SM3. So I'd also like to hear anything on the Westone.

@mvw2 Yes I forgot to mention E-Q7; ER4S is a tad bright no? How's the bass on the ER4S?

Also I don't like anything to laid back. I found my SRH840's quite boring. I like musical IEM's I guess.. not too analytical/boring.

I'm unamped as well for my portable set-up. IEM's run through my Nexus One.

Nov 7, 2010 at 1:19 PM Post #8 of 38
mids
fun/not analytical-boring
no amp

i think this will help you narrow it down , so time for the experts to tell you which ones qualify with these characteristics

Nov 7, 2010 at 1:30 PM Post #9 of 38
I agree with all the others, Shure's as soon as you mentioned mid-centric this is what I thought of. But for the rest of your search I would suggest the Panasonic HJE900. It came here at the price range of 250 and now is 89 on amazon or J&R. I have the Dba as well and while sounding surprisingly natural as a BA, (more so then my Phonaks) it just doesn't hold up to the timbre and naturalness of the Pana. I suggest the Pana because if you listen to both they are highly the same in detail but might sound rounded off coming from the DBA, because the Pana treble sounds more natural. I repeat listening to them together is almost, almost the same except the Pana is a DBA with bass. Isolation on the DBA is better, that's about it. The pana is tip dependent, good but not great isolation, with a short cord, as well as harsh treble (like DBA) but can be smoothed over with foam. Both have there ups and downs, but they complement each other. Weird I feel as if the Pana's are better producing astounding timbre, naturalness, and clarity rolled into one. But the DBA's have something special I can't quite put my finger on....A friend has them stuck in his ears as of now, saying 'the panas are cool but the DBA's are better' I guess is just preference. To each is own.....

Edit: Coppers on de way wooohooo!

Nov 7, 2010 at 1:59 PM Post #11 of 38

if you dont care that much about treble get the HiFiMan RE262 without much delay now that the preorders have ended and the RE262s will start selling soon at around $250.
this is the only time they are available cheeply here in the market section , the price will surely rise. moreover bass and mids are great with RE262 ,

Nov 7, 2010 at 2:17 PM Post #12 of 38
Some do consider the SE530 to be a bit laid back.  It sounds like you want something a little more forward, aggressive, engaging.  You may not specifically want something mid-centric, but you sound like you just don't want recessed mids.  You may opt for something well balanced, maybe even on the warm side since you do seem concerned with bass still despite mainly worrying about mids.  There is some range of interpretation here though.  I can't read your mind.  You have to tell us in great detail exactly what you want.  By great detail, I do mean great detail, like a 500 word essay kind of detail just on the sound you want to hear out of the earphone if you could have your ideal sound.

Outside of doing that though, I do quite like the e-Q7.  It's well balanced, energetic, not forward but right there and visceral.  It's not passive listening.  The mids are balanced with the rest of the frequency range, the bass is not heavy but there and with good presence.  Treble might be slightly emphasized, but a foam tip can soften it up some if needed.  It is mild though, so don't get scared by that comment.  I've only just recently got a hold of a e-Q7 for myself, and it has quickly grown on me and has become in my mind one of the top few earphones out there for balance and just doing a lot of things right.  There are certain earphones that will do certain things better, and there are a lot of well balanced earphones out there, but the e-Q7 is up there among the top.  In terms of do everything total package, this is one of the top.

The RE262 is a new earphone.  Some people own it because they bought the HM-602 music player.  The RE262 came "free" with it.  A fellow head-fier allowed me to demo his pair.  Being a fan of the RE252, I anticipated great things from the RE262.  One of the best things about the RE262 is the driver it uses.  It seems to be a very long throw, very efficient driver that has effortless dynamics.  It has tremendously low distortion and very, very high resolution and detail.  The sound is mid-centric, at least what you notice most.  The frequency response is actually well balanced.  The bass is clean and transparent and dynamic.  It doesn't carry some of the heft you would expect, so your focus stays more towards the midbass and mids.  I wouldn't really call it lean, but the bass is clean and with a short note.  The high, effortless dynamics prevent it from outright sounding lean though.  Treble is smooth.  It's well extended and actually slightly emphasized (to my ears), but it doesn't sound that way due to it being almost laid back in presence.  The sensitivity is there, but you don't get a piercing, super crisp and edgy sound that some earphones have.  It's more mellow and pleasant.  What makes this special is the driver used is absolutely amazing.  It is so good it is ridiculous.  It's like high end home audio driver good, very clean, very transparent, effortless, and extremely high resolution, and it sounds so effortless doing it.  It's dynamic, revealing, engaging, and pleasant all at the same time.  It's really quite good.  The sound comes across a little colored though due to the way the notes are presented, but it's a very likable color and subtle enough not to really sound off for most music.  A few of these will pop up in the For Sale section as the H-602 owners decide to sell them.  It will eventually pop up on Head Direct's website once they officially go on sale.

What about the midrange king of kings, the SE530?  Well, I personally don't like it.  It has a wow factor.  The midrange is really, really good.  The rest, meh.  Treble is recessed (fixed on the much, much pricier SE535).  The bass is good for upper bass but rolls off and almost disappears for deep bass.  Frequency response charts say otherwise, but compared to more bass capable earphones, there is no comparison.  The SE530 is completely lacking on the bottom end in presence.  Even if the sensitivity is there, it just can't fill out a note.  When I owned a pair a year ago, I literally couldn't hear a 30Hz tone with them even with a massive amount of EQ boost.  40Hz was barely audible, and it wasn't a good 40Hz note either.  50Hz and above was ok, but it it really only does well once you're above 100Hz.  Being so mid focused, it becomes sort of a one trick pony.  It's kind of a "wow, these sound really amazing" but then becomes "man these really are lacking on the top end bottom end."  For a triple driver earphone, I simply find that unacceptable.  It's what I'd expect from a single BA earphone, not a triple BA earphone.  I seriously expect more coverage and is specifically why I'd buy a product using more drivers.  I will say the SE530 has a very natural, life-like sound.  The realism is really good, however the quick decay on the notes lean out the presence on the lower frequencies and almost creates a ghostly realism lacking the fullness and body you would expect in the lower frequencies.  In the end, I think there are better earphones.  I understand Shure is offering a "sound" and has a loyal following of users buying that that sound.  Shure really doesn't want to mess up what they have and what they offer, so they are trying to maintain that sound signature.  I understand that.  But, I think in the last couple years, other products and even products of a much lower cost have blown them away.  the SE535 is an improvement but a costly improvement.

The DBA-02 is bright and lean, not mid-centric, not bassy at all. I've owned a pair breifly.  The treble was great, but the bass driver is very lean.  The W2, UM2, W3, UM3X, SM3, and I'll toss the Triple.Fi 10 in there too as we discuss are more V shaped in response.  If you want mids, these are not the first choices as they will not offer that kind of response and presentation without some EQing.  They may be good earphones, but they don't really offer the presentation at least I think you're looking for and may require EQing to get you where you want to be.

I will toss in an additional budget level item, the Sleek Audio SA6.  If you want an mid-centric earphone, this is a great option at a low cost.  The sound is very transparent and airy, clean, and natural.  It's not the bassiest, but does respond well to EQing (ex. turning on bass boost).  Treble sensitivity is there, but the sound is smoothed making for a pleasant top end.  The compact size is light and disappears from perception.  The sound is unique and something you really can't get in another earphone on the market.  I may wait a little while though on this earphone if it sounds like something you might be interested in.  Sleek is rolling out their new SA6R to replace the SA6 and the new dual driver SA7 in the near future.  These will be the next generation products from Sleek, so you might just opt to wait for now.

Nov 7, 2010 at 2:36 PM Post #14 of 38
mvw2, Thank you very much for the extensive response. Truly appreciated.  The EQ-7 sounds great but pricy, RE-262 also sounds wonderful but how does it do unamped, the SE530 sounds like something I should stay away from now, and the SA6 has also captured my interest.

I'll try to elaborate more on what kind of sound I like. A few days ago I received the Sennheiser HD428 for around $30 just for drumming. Little did I expect, that headphone contains perhaps the perfect sound signature for me. I literally don't find a need to EQ it. Sometimes I listen to it over my DBA-02 when at home just for fun sometimes.

The sound I heard from the HD428 is pure natural and balance (to me). The bass is quite detailed and very present though not necessarily boomy. It sounds thick but not too impactful and not lean either. The bass is smooth but not thin/lean.The mids are lush, and the highs are also presented very well and detailed without sounding bright; perhaps just very slightly recessed (maybe very slightly dark). 

All of this is presented all equally with the exception of perhaps the treble.

So I guess summarized I want something, balanced (mids are a plus I guess) natural, and I don't really want something bright. Treble should be smooth, natural, and non-fatuiging. 

Nov 7, 2010 at 7:17 PM Post #15 of 38
I think I heard the e-Q7 very differently. The e-Q7 was definitely mid centric and had a slightly rolled off treble. I do agree about it being pretty balanced as a whole but it did have a forward midrange.

The RE262 is pretty efficient for a 150 ohm impedance earphone. I expected it to be much harder to amp but it really isn't that hard to drive. Impedance doesn't tell much about amp requirements but sensitivity but I expected it to be harder to drive regardless. An amp does improve things but it's not as much as you would think. I definitely agree that it is a pretty efficient. I would prefer the use of an amp or a powerful output but if you have a decent output on your dap I wouldn't worry too much.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back