DBA-02 v ER 4P/S v HF5 for Electronic/Rock Music
Dec 5, 2010 at 11:51 PM Post #16 of 37
I just got my set from a member, and I have to say that ANYTHING I have thrown at them has been stellar, though my only complaint is that they exhibit a weeble hiss when not playing anything in everything I have plugged them into. This is slightly annoying with quiet tracks (I listen to a lot of classical music, especially Yo Yo Ma cello pieces), but, it is better than most other headphones I've used. I think I expected them to be quiet with an amp, but, not with the iBasso D12.

Right now I am listening to Juno reactor with the headphones plugged in to my HTC Desire Z, and they are fine. Honestly, I can't say that the headphones themselves sound LIKE anything. I have been playing around with lots of different music and they perform very, very well. I find them transparent, so you are listening to the source music (that can be a good or bad thing since if you have crap recordings or files, you WILL hear it) not so much the headphones.

Music I love to listen to:

Yngwie Malmsteen
The Beatles
House of Heros
Bach, especially his fugues played on pipe organ
Mozart
Ray Charles
Regina Spektor
Juno Reactor
Bitmod/dubmod (Square wave sounds are super hard to reproduce cleanly, IMO)
Industrial (lately Eisenfunk)
Beck

Sooooooo . . . I love these headphones because they let me listen to whatever I want without annoying me, and I can EQ things to taste without having to compensate for deficiencies in the headphones themselves. 

Dec 6, 2010 at 5:11 AM Post #17 of 37
Thats great! How would you rate the isolation on the DBA-02 (which, although you didn't mention in the above post, I figured are the IEMs you have from your past post about just getting the DBA-02s)

and your post just made me REALLY want to get the DBA-02s now, lol - hopefully I can find a good deal on them...or it'll be the HF5s :)

Dec 6, 2010 at 11:11 AM Post #18 of 37
Quote:
wow so many people preferring the dba 02s over etys - are the dba 02s available in the UK? 

and is this website legit to buy from and is it the cheapest at $150 for dba 02s

http://www.gd-audiobase.com/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage.tpl&product_id=8&category_id=3&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=2&vmcchk=1&Itemid=2

do you guys think I should wait till around Christmas time for better deals? If I can get a good deal on the DBA 02s I'll go for them!

Thanks for the continuing help!

I seriously doubt that there would be any Christmas price break on DBA-02's.

$150 sounds like a very good price for them (no idea about the seller).

Dec 7, 2010 at 5:54 AM Post #19 of 37
Ok I've bought the DBA 02s and I should get them in 2-3 weeks' time hopefully.

For anyone else deciding out there, I bought the DBA 02s over the ER 4s because the DBAs don't need an AMP as badly; have better bass; similar mids and highs and they're MUCH cheaper. However, I regret not getting the same isolation but I'm told it is a solid 4/5 if the etys are a 5/5.

Over the HF5s because the DBA 02s have better bass and because I got a great deal on them with extra ear tips included. Had I not gotten a deal then I would have gone for the better etymotic isolation HF5s and would have EQed them for bass which I hear is better on the HF5s than the ER4s.

Hope that helps anyone trying to compare these IEMs! Please note that I have not heard any IEMs and the above is only information that I have gathered from the very helpful people on this thread. Thank You ALL! :D

Dec 7, 2010 at 11:27 PM Post #20 of 37
The Isolation is darn good. I was over at a friend's place the first night after I got them and was listening to music at a low volume and the dull roar of my friends playing some dumb (American) football video game was quieted to the point that someone had to walk over and tap me on the shoulder to get my attention after he had gotten tired of yelling my name. I was impressed. I've had some cheap JVC, Koss, and a few IEMs that came with various media players over the years. The last ones that I had until I just got too annoyed with them were some dual armature Ultimate Ears. I'm not sure of which ones they are. They are an older style with a replaceable cord, and they sound rather good, but the cord is getting stiff and is rather difficult to keep in place comfortably. They were much better at first, but they were never as comfortable as I would have liked. The DBAs are superior to them in every way I can think of, including isolation. I wear ear plugs and other hearing protection regularly for work, and sometimes have earplugs in all day. The DBAs are much more comfortable than most earplugs and also provide VERY excellent isolation compared to most expanding foam earplugs and also comparable sound damping as the silicon triple flange plugs I prefer to wear for fit reasons. (My ear canal openings are on the small side, as the smallest tips fit the best for me on almost everything I have tried.)

I've had a chance to listen to them un-amped on my morning walk to work. I was very happy that the microphonics are negligable. They sound very good at minimal volume from my Cowon D2. I haven't had a chance to listen to a wide variety of music through the D2, but, I am super happy with the DBAs as they are not very picky about what is feeding them, as long as it is good quality. (That being said, I have to admit I listen to a lot of bad music, so, I am not going to be picky with the bad stuff. The good stuff, however, is VERY excellent.)

Some of my favorite CDs to listen to so far are a collection of Bach cello pieces performed by Yo Yo Ma and "Ray Sings and Bassie Swings," a virtual concert put together from a very amazing performance by Ray Charles which was then remastered to include an arrangement of accompaniment by the Count Bassie Orchestra. However, everything else I've listened to from Bit/dubmod to Yngwie Malmsteen has been absolutely wonderful!

Dec 10, 2010 at 9:44 PM Post #22 of 37

Quote:
wow so many people preferring the dba 02s over etys - are the dba 02s available in the UK? 

and is this website legit to buy from and is it the cheapest at $150 for dba 02s

http://www.gd-audiobase.com/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage.tpl&product_id=8&category_id=3&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=2&vmcchk=1&Itemid=2

do you guys think I should wait till around Christmas time for better deals? If I can get a good deal on the DBA 02s I'll go for them!

I just got the HF5 for less than half of what you'll pay for the dba02 and I'll actually get the HF5 in a week rather than waiting who knows when. So, sound matters, but there are other considerations, too!

Dec 11, 2010 at 11:12 AM Post #23 of 37
haha you're right but heres another consideration for you: what makes an IEM sound much better than it actually is? waiting for it :p

btw I paid $130 for it and got it from a fellow head-fier :) He was kind enough to include some extra tips as well! 

Dec 11, 2010 at 12:15 PM Post #24 of 37

Quote:
haha you're right but heres another consideration for you: what makes an IEM sound much better than it actually is? waiting for it :p

btw I paid $130 for it and got it from a fellow head-fier :) He was kind enough to include some extra tips as well! 

Good answer!
dt880smile.png

Dec 13, 2010 at 2:16 PM Post #26 of 37

Quote:
The DBA-02 is great for all genre's. I listen to rock, jazz, classical, bluegrass.... they are transparent to style.
I have had Ety's (though not the ones you are looking at) and they are great at isolating, but realize that isolation is  / can be tip dependent. Tips are your key to fit, seal and isolation, and the IEM itself has only a minor role.

shane

x2 on the above.  

Had the ER4S twice, ER4P once, DBA once.  Difference is I still have the DBA.

Btw isolation wise apart from tip selection.  Ranking 1-Ety, 2/3-Klipsch image X5/10, 2/3-DBA, 4-Shure 530.  You can see what other IEMs I've heard in my sig under 'gone'.  The difference between the Ety and others is about 1-2 db max.  The DBA transmits a bit more through the plastic shell housing is why.  With my oval gel biflanges and deep insertion the DBA is fantastic at isolation.

Dec 13, 2010 at 3:56 PM Post #27 of 37
Great! Thanks for the reassurances, haha - Especially how the isolation on the dba-02s and the etys only vaires by a few decibels. And I did buy the DBA-02s, will get them in January hopefully! 

Dec 13, 2010 at 4:01 PM Post #28 of 37
Ety isolation is definitely crazy the DBA is all you need trust me, if you find yourself needing more...I'd be surprised.

Dec 13, 2010 at 8:09 PM Post #29 of 37

Quote:
Quote:

I just got the HF5 for less than half of what you'll pay for the dba02 and I'll actually get the HF5 in a week rather than waiting who knows when. So, sound matters, but there are other considerations, too!

That really was too good to pass on. Not like we needed them. LOL
rolleyes.gif
Always liked HF5s so why not?

Dec 13, 2010 at 8:12 PM Post #30 of 37

Quote:
Ety isolation is definitely crazy the DBA is all you need trust me, if you find yourself needing more...I'd be surprised.

It depends on your environment and where you will be using them. I had the DBA-02 and I'd rather take the isolation on my customs than the DBA-02.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back