DBA-02 v ER 4P/S v HF5 for Electronic/Rock Music
Nov 29, 2010 at 1:41 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 37

ahmedjhang

New Head-Fier
Which would be better - Isolation is just as important as SQ for me...

I did a search before but none of the results dealt with these two specifically in this regard...

I have not had any previous IEMs

Also I don't want to use an AMP

Thanks!

Nov 29, 2010 at 2:32 PM Post #2 of 37
I'm extremely pleased with DBA-02's for rock music (and everything else), but no experience with Ety's.

Nov 29, 2010 at 2:52 PM Post #4 of 37
Isolation is more than enough when music is playing. My wife complains that she can only get my attention by standing in front of me or tapping me somewhere.

Nov 29, 2010 at 3:07 PM Post #5 of 37
Right thanks! How about when not playing music. Like I might want to use them to block out sound while studying for example.

Would be great if someone whose used both of them could compare isolation on both - I'm going from stock buds so I'm sure I'll get an improvement in SQ...

Nov 29, 2010 at 3:22 PM Post #6 of 37
Ety's are known for their superior isolation. The DBA's are OK without music - they cut outside noise by about 50%.

Nov 30, 2010 at 4:32 PM Post #8 of 37
Ahmed,

I noticed in your OP that you haven't had any IEMs, just "stock buds". Almost ANY IEM with tips that fit your ears will give you isolation far beyond what you're used to. Maybe you're overthinking this aspect?

You said that isolation was just as important as SQ. Once you try IEMs, I'll bet that you think differently about that. SQ in IEM's can be all over the place, as joker's great set of reviews demonstrate.

Regarding DBA's: Patience will be a requirement if you don't already have a set coming to you. They're worth the wait, but you might also want to consider something more readily available. Others you might consider:

Westone 2
JAYS q-JAYS
AT -CK90Pro
RE-ZERO (similar in sound signature to DBA)
Thinksound TS02+mic
ViSang R03/Brainwavz M2*
Brainwavz M1*
ViSang R02*
Fischer Silver Bullet*
Xears TD100*
Hippo VB*

*High SQ "bang-per-buck" if they're a sound signature you like.

Dec 3, 2010 at 5:23 PM Post #9 of 37
Hey dfrost thanks for all of the recommendations! I've been doing a lot of reading here on the forums. 

I've decided to go with etymotic because of their isolation. That left me with a choice between the HF5s and the ER 4P/S. I went with the HF5s because of their lower impedance which helps me drive them straight out of my HTC HD2 (no AMP). (Plus the ER 4P on ebay auction has gone beyond my budget)

I read about the DBA-02s and it seems that they don't isolate as well as the etymotics. Also, I feel more comfortable carrying around a cheaper set of IEMs since they will be my first!

If you, or anyone, would like to offer further opinions please do!

Dec 3, 2010 at 5:31 PM Post #10 of 37
I was reading a cnet review just now and I'm worried that the HF5s won't be suitable for my ears (small, I think?) but I'll try and return them if I find them to be uncomfortable...

However, it does make me question my decision to go for the HF5s over the DBA-02s again...opinons? (remember rock/electronic) Thanks!

Dec 3, 2010 at 9:27 PM Post #11 of 37
I have small ears and the ER4p's fit me fine, but I use small sized tri-flanges or any small sized tip. On the normal sized tri-flange I have to cut the largest flange off for them to fit and the normal sized floamys will not fit me. So if the Ety's don't fit right try all the tips sizes first before you return them.

Dec 3, 2010 at 9:45 PM Post #12 of 37

Quote:
I was reading a cnet review just now and I'm worried that the HF5s won't be suitable for my ears (small, I think?) but I'll try and return them if I find them to be uncomfortable...

However, it does make me question my decision to go for the HF5s over the DBA-02s again...opinons? (remember rock/electronic) Thanks!

The ety does guitars marginally better, but the DBA-02 has a bass that is more than marginally better than the Etys. Goes lower and has more impact; the advantage of having an extra driver is obvious. On the balance this makes the DBA-02 better than Etys for rock.

Dec 4, 2010 at 8:39 AM Post #13 of 37
What if I were to EQ the etys HF5s for more bass? Also, I've read that the HF5s don't lack in bass but it's a different kind of higher quality bass. I would go for the DBA-02s but for its lower isolation and higher price - I'm not sure more bass is always a good thing.

Thanks!

Dec 4, 2010 at 4:23 PM Post #14 of 37
The DBA-02 is great for all genre's. I listen to rock, jazz, classical, bluegrass.... they are transparent to style.
I have had Ety's (though not the ones you are looking at) and they are great at isolating, but realize that isolation is  / can be tip dependent. Tips are your key to fit, seal and isolation, and the IEM itself has only a minor role.

I use Comply foamies P-type. They are the best for isolation. They seal out the majority of the sound. I use them at the gym, on airplanes, trains, etc.
The DBA-02 - Comply combo is nearly silent. And like dfrost, when my wife wants my attention, she turns the lights off and on.

I really wouldn't buy either of these based on isolation properties. Buy the ones that sound the best (without EQ), are easy to use and fit well with your ears.

Good luck

shane

Dec 4, 2010 at 5:11 PM Post #15 of 37
wow so many people preferring the dba 02s over etys - are the dba 02s available in the UK? 

and is this website legit to buy from and is it the cheapest at $150 for dba 02s

http://www.gd-audiobase.com/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage.tpl&product_id=8&category_id=3&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=2&vmcchk=1&Itemid=2

do you guys think I should wait till around Christmas time for better deals? If I can get a good deal on the DBA 02s I'll go for them!

Thanks for the continuing help!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back