Daydreaming: HFI-780? PRO 900? PRO 750?
Mar 28, 2009 at 10:52 PM Post #18 of 53
If the 780 still have that nice bass then I'll probably go for them then, unless I have the extra cash for the PRO900s. Guess I can spend more on musics...
biggrin.gif

Mar 29, 2009 at 4:47 AM Post #20 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by lutwey /img/forum/go_quote.gif
thanks rakoon, how is the isolation on the 780???
aamefford.......what types of music really "sings" on the 780

I'd say that for people around you, they doesn't leak at all.I myself was surprise on that point.One time my wife was listening to her music near full blast level close to me and i could'n even hear what she was listening to.
But they dont isolate YOU perfectly from surrounding sound,they do, but just not perfecly.
And i personally think that, musics like:
Arnej feat. Josie - The Strangers We've Become (Vocal Mix) -} Trance
Angels & Airwaves - Start The Machine -} Rock/Alternative
really render justice to HFI780's punch and soundstage.

Mar 29, 2009 at 5:51 AM Post #22 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by aamefford /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sibilance - The 750's had quite a bit on recordings that had sibilance. The 780's are a little less so, in my short time with them. From dim memory, less sibilant than my old Grado 125's, more than my lovely new ESW10's.

The HFI-580/PRO-550, cut the problems with the sibilance. The extended high frequency on Mylar drivers go only to 22Khz vs the titanium HFI780 @ 26Khz. PRO-750 @35Khz. And the PRO900 @42Khz.

Mar 29, 2009 at 6:04 AM Post #23 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by Acix /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The HFI-580/PRO-550, cut the problems with the sibilance. The extended high frequency on Mylar drivers go only to 22Khz vs the titanium HFI780 @ 26Khz. PRO-750 @35Khz. And the PRO900 @42Khz.

but that would mean less accurate. i want an enjoyable can without giving up too much quality. if push comes to shove, just rerip your cds to any loseless format. right?

Mar 29, 2009 at 8:12 AM Post #24 of 53
Well I can't hear anything over about 20khz, so none of that matters.
biggrin.gif

I've found that sibilance is around the 7-8khz range as well. Its a pain to EQ out without a very good EQ though, need something better than whats on foobar or my mp3 player.

So does anyone have a good comparison with the HFI-780 and the lower pro models? All of the pros are nice and round.......drool

EDIT: Oh, and the PRO 550 and 650 are the same price as the 780 as well....

Mar 29, 2009 at 1:36 PM Post #25 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by Acix /img/forum/go_quote.gif

The HFI-780 uses gold drivers not used by any other Ultrasone headphones, so it doesn't have the sibilance of the titanium drivers.

Quote:

Originally Posted by KONAKONA /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well I can't hear anything over about 20khz, so none of that matters.
biggrin.gif

I've found that sibilance is around the 7-8khz range as well. Its a pain to EQ out without a very good EQ though, need something better than whats on foobar or my mp3 player.

So does anyone have a good comparison with the HFI-780 and the lower pro models? All of the pros are nice and round.......drool

EDIT: Oh, and the PRO 550 and 650 are the same price as the 780 as well....

Ok sorry, this is the last time I say this but I think you must be skimping over my posts, the only headphones with s-logic plus are the Edition 8, HFI-x80's, and Pro 900. IMO it is a big sacrifice to go for the outdated Pro 550/650 just for the roundness unless you really got a thing for round headphones. Instead consider the HFI-580, which uses an improved version of the Pro 550 driver, or the HFI-680 which uses the same driver as the Pro 650 driver. The HFI-x80 are cheaper/newer technology/better build quality.

Mar 29, 2009 at 2:46 PM Post #26 of 53
Didn´t ultrapaul mention the 780 has it as well?

Mar 29, 2009 at 3:38 PM Post #27 of 53
All the product descriptions I've read says it is gold, not the stiff titanium. I wouldn't be surprised if they did make such a big mistake though
tongue.gif
I have about a dozen questions about the product descriptions I want answered.

Mar 29, 2009 at 3:57 PM Post #28 of 53
I was referring to the 780 having S-logic plus and not the old S-logic. But should be easy to check if someone have both the PRO 900 and 780 for example to see if the driver placement and holes are identical
smily_headphones1.gif
Also if the titanium drivers have higher frequencies it´s maybe rather that then that titanium drivers have more inherent sibilance then gold plated drivers. Explains why the 900 have sharper sibilance then the 750 and that some claims not having any sibilance at all with more rolled off hearing perhaps?

Mar 29, 2009 at 4:29 PM Post #29 of 53
I think the sibilance in the 900s is caused by their unholy accuracy. Not sure this can be eq'd out....

Mar 29, 2009 at 5:12 PM Post #30 of 53
Well to tell you the truth, the whole S-logic thing seems like a bit of a gimmick to me. I couldn't care if it has s-logic or s-logic plus or s-logic UBER ULTRA, I'm much more interested in the sound. I get tons of EMI from my computer sitting quite close to my head, and I've already lost some of my hearing due to loud music, so I could care less about those bits. It's the sound I'm interested in here.

Last I checked the stax were outdated technology, and so are vintage RS-1s, and jecklins and plenty of other stuff that people buy here. Luckily headphones are not like computers; you can have something outdated and it can still be as good, or better, than something current and new. Good thing to. Stupid computers sucking up all my money. >
frown.gif

Anyway, if there is a major sound difference then I'll look into it, but as far as the recentness of the technology goes I could care less.

Oh, and yes I really, really have a thing for round headphones. It's like sex, but much better!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back