Dateline NBC - To Catch a Predator
Oct 24, 2006 at 1:18 AM Post #76 of 90
Quote:

Originally Posted by pne
when I was 6 years old I thought the tweeter on my dads Hi-fi system looked like a really cool button and pressed it. There was something about the appearence that just begged for me to push it every time I saw it. But I was immediately "taught" to decide not to put my little grubby fingers on any more of his audio stuff. The educator was a clotheshanger to the back. Obviously parenting plays a huge part in this. I will wager that most of the victims have poor relationships with their parents, or have trouble communicating with them. I don't know what parent would not make some effort to educate their children about the dangers of the internet..

We're agreeing but in different ways. Your case is one specific example of learning not to do with audio equipment you didn't know anything about.

I was saying in a broad sense kids usually don't make the right choices. Sure, they might know what decision to make in a specific case, but children are subjective listerners. Sometimes they listen to what you say and sometimes they don't. They only hear what they really want to hear.

Hence, good, solid decision making skills are the by product of several years of making the wrong decisions and learning the lessons that come with them.

Oct 24, 2006 at 8:02 AM Post #77 of 90
When I did public defense work, I had to work with many registered sex offenders. Ick. I always dreaded explaining the post-conviction sex offender treatment to them, especially the plethysmograph. Let's just say that it, uh, measures interest. Be forewarned if you Google that. Glad I got out of that and do something much more boring now.

And don't ever feel sorry for these people. They all know what they're doing.

Feb 7, 2007 at 3:30 AM Post #79 of 90
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kirosia /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's on right now on the east coast!!!

Thanks for the heads up (It's coming on on the west coast in half an hour). I love watching this show. Watching the predators stumble over their lies and rationalizations is hilarious.

Feb 7, 2007 at 5:13 AM Post #80 of 90
I'm not against the show, but personally, I'd like to see the money they spend on making the show go to help the treatment of actual victims. Although it's a great deterrent, it seems only the dumb ones are getting caught. I think i read somewhere 90 percent of abusers know the victims. that's friends and family mostly
frown.gif
not creepy guys off the net, in general.

Feb 7, 2007 at 5:27 AM Post #81 of 90
The only people with a skewed way of thinking are the people that strictly follow the law and constitution and take it as human nature. Sorry, it doesn't work like that. Doesn't even come close. The perfect example:
A boyfriend and girlfriend. The guy is 17 and the girl is 16. A year passes, the girl is now 17 and the guy is 18 -- uh oh. Sorry, things just don't work like that and anybody who thinks like that needs to be removed from the gene pool.

Dec 29, 2007 at 2:08 AM Post #82 of 90
A new episode's on at 10pm Eastern, NBC. Haven't seen one in awhile.

Dec 29, 2007 at 3:55 AM Post #84 of 90
If I were Chris Hanson, I'd hide as a lamp post then scare the crap out these guys.

Dec 29, 2007 at 4:15 AM Post #85 of 90
Another case of people looking to put blame on others.

How about parents teach their children how to avoid such things, and actually monitor their kids. Oh wait, that is too much work these days.

Don't want your kids taking nude photos of themselves for pervs?

Don't give them the camera!

Don't want them going on webcam for pervs?

Don't let them have webcams in their room!

Also, not to mention that the show really tries to trap people. And I beleive that it is morally wrong to coerce someone into committing a crime they would otherwise never commit.

And finally, you cannot look at this as a black and white situation, many cultures find it acceptable to have sex with people under the age of 18. America has very twisted sexual ideas, they can parade pre-teens on TV practically nude, but if a 21 year old has sex with a 17 year old, it is stat rape.

Dec 29, 2007 at 4:24 AM Post #87 of 90
Quote:

Also, not to mention that the show really tries to trap people. And I beleive that it is morally wrong to coerce someone into committing a crime they would otherwise never commit.

These guys chose to continue the internet conversations and go to the houses. When they do, they're usually as giddy as schoolgirls.
Quote:

Quote:

America has very twisted sexual ideas, they can parade pre-teens on TV practically nude, but if a 21 year old has sex with a 17 year old, it is stat rape.

I found those two statements funny. Oh, why do people always blame America like we're the only weird country? Is it cause we call football "soccer"?! Also, the decoy in this episode pretended to be 12-13. (And the guys are at least twice that) I'm sure that crosses the line for pretty much everyone.

Jan 17, 2008 at 12:59 AM Post #89 of 90
Quote:

Originally Posted by LawnGnome /img/forum/go_quote.gif

How about parents teach their children how to avoid such things, and actually monitor their kids. Oh wait, that is too much work these days.

Don't want your kids taking nude photos of themselves for pervs?

Don't give them the camera!

Don't want them going on webcam for pervs?

Don't let them have webcams in their room!

And finally, you cannot look at this as a black and white situation, many cultures find it acceptable to have sex with people under the age of 18. America has very twisted sexual ideas, they can parade pre-teens on TV practically nude, but if a 21 year old has sex with a 17 year old, it is stat rape.

Yeah....riiiight....it's all the PARENTS fault!!

If not for bad PARENTING, these poor victimized pedophiles wouldn't have succomed to the tempation. It surely would have never even occured to them to commit a crime by hooking up with a 13 year old if only those parents had taken the time to monitor their activities sufficiently...or had they not been entrapped by that evil Chris Hansen.

Well, that certainly is an interesting perspective...
rolleyes.gif

You might want to consider just who it is that you're sticking up for here. While it's true that there's few black and white issues in this world, I think it's pretty clear who the good guys and bad guys are here.

Jan 17, 2008 at 2:41 AM Post #90 of 90
Quote:

Originally Posted by elrod-tom /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah....riiiight....it's all the PARENTS fault!!

If not for bad PARENTING, these poor victimized pedophiles wouldn't have succomed to the tempation. It surely would have never even occured to them to commit a crime by hooking up with a 13 year old if only those parents had taken the time to monitor their activities sufficiently...or had they not been entrapped by that evil Chris Hansen.

Well, that certainly is an interesting perspective...
rolleyes.gif

You might want to consider just who it is that you're sticking up for here. While it's true that there's few black and white issues in this world, I think it's pretty clear who the good guys and bad guys are here.

What? Pedophiles are just that, child "lovers," ie. they get aroused by pre-pubescent humans.

Ephebophilia is the attraction to teenagers/adolescents. I think that's a more accurate term.

I honestly do have a problem with pedophiles/child molesters, but not so much ephebophiles. If it's all there, what's the issue?

I also think the age of consent laws in the US are incredibly screwed up. Of any country, I'd say Germany has the most sane age of consent. 16 is the baseline AoC, like in the majority of US states and European countries and whatnot. But, 14 and 15-year olds can consent to adults, if they want to, and they are not being payed, given gifts, seduced, etc. High school wasn't that long ago for me, and I would say that the majority of my peers were "experienced" (for lack of a better word) enough at those ages to consent.

Germany also says prostitutes are victims, which is yet another good thing.

On topic, I think this show is hilarious.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back