Dateline NBC - To Catch a Predator
Oct 22, 2006 at 12:49 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 90

Kirosia

Headphoneus Supremus
I absolutely love this show. Just seeing these guys catch creepos saying/doing the most idiotic things... so joyous.

Oct 22, 2006 at 12:56 AM Post #2 of 90
Yup, it's very entertaining to watch (Their reactions are priceless, and it's always so pathetic how they change their stories and always say that nothing was going to happen). However, I think the bigger problem are the idiotic teens that actually agree to do these things, not these actual predators. Seriously, it's not like these teens are being forced into what they're doing or anything (They're willing talking about sex, telling others their age/sex, providing their personal phone numbers and home address, etc.). Sheesh, what bothers me the most about this is how freaking stupid these teens are to fall victim to this stuff (Ha, perhaps "victim" is the wrong word as these kids seem to WANT to do this stuff...). NBC should create another Dateline program to catch these retard kids that are the main cause for all of this crap to happen (Let's face it, these predators likely aren't hacking or doing any stealth stuff to get the needed address info and what not...the stupid kids are giving it to them...)...

Just my 2 cents.

Oct 22, 2006 at 1:11 AM Post #3 of 90
I agree.

If you're AIMing a 30-yr-old guy who sends you nude pics of his genitals, would it really be smart to meet up with him? (or continue conversing, for that matter) You must actually want to get freaky with this perv, if you do.

Although, some young un's really are just looking for a friend, and do believe that sk8taboi13 really is 13. (which he may or may not be)

Oct 22, 2006 at 1:27 AM Post #4 of 90
yeah..these shows are unreal...and you even feel a little bit sorry for the old timers who get flustered and start having chest pain..and then you realize what they are trying to do...the sad part is alot of this is happening and not being caught...

Oct 22, 2006 at 2:12 AM Post #6 of 90
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kirosia
Although, some young un's really are just looking for a friend, and do believe that sk8taboi13 really is 13. (which he may or may not be)

Well, that may be true, but based on these Dateline reports, all these instances involve a clear indication that the other person is above 18 and clearly wants to have sex. It'd be one thing if there was no mention of sex or anything like that, but in these reports its clear that both parties are aware of the age difference and that sexual intercourse is planned (Either through the dialague and/or pictures).

Oct 22, 2006 at 7:45 AM Post #7 of 90
Quote:

Originally Posted by Azure
I think the bigger problem are the idiotic teens that actually agree to do these things, not these actual predators.

Ya seriously kids are the problem, not the pedophiles.
rolleyes.gif

ped·o·phile
n.
An adult who is sexually attracted to a child or children.

...wait a minute.

Oct 22, 2006 at 8:00 AM Post #8 of 90
The ones I liked best were:

Guy who just got caught: I knew it! I knew this was gonna be for that show!
Host: Umm...then WHY did you still show up? If you've seen the show, then you know what happens.
Guy: ...

Oct 22, 2006 at 8:10 AM Post #9 of 90
Quote:

Originally Posted by VR6ofpain
Ya seriously kids are the problem, not the pedophiles.
rolleyes.gif

ped·o·phile
n.
An adult who is sexually attracted to a child or children.

...wait a minute.

The actual standards for qualifying as a pedophile is something like 10-12 years old IIRC. Or a certain number of years younger than you, whichever is farther from your age. I.e a 14 year old who is attracted to a 12 year old girl isn't a pedophile simply because he's too close to her in age. Going by those standards, some guy who wants to screw a 15 year old girl isn't a pedophile either, because a fifteen year old, while underaged by law, doesn't qualify as under the 'children' umbrella.

Then again in the US 15 year olds look like bloody adults anyway, whether its genetic or because of those hormones you feed your cows which gets into the milk..

Oct 22, 2006 at 12:52 PM Post #11 of 90
When is this show on?

I've seen only a couple episodes but would like to see more. My favorite predator so far is the rabbi who got caught from one of their earlier shows. He sent nude pics of himself thinking it was cool.

The interesting thing about it is that really anyone can be a sex offender, even the nice guy down your street. In fact, an old college buddy of mine who I know well, got busted for trying to date an 8th grade girl who was actually a cop. He thought he was flirting with a girl and most likely got aroused when it was actually some dude ready to throw his ass in jail. Doh! What an idiot! I know his mom and she is devestated. It is a sad situation for his family. He's doing some time in jail now. Which is shocking to me because he really is a mild mannered fellow and the type of guy who would rather spend a quiet evening in the book store on the weekends.

So please don't be stupid and do not try to date 8th grade girls in the chatrooms! There are cops everywhere in the AOL chatrooms! But on the positive side, he is allowed to use his walkman in jail and he is listening to headphones. No amp though.

Oct 22, 2006 at 1:19 PM Post #13 of 90
I disagree that the kids are any part of the problem. They're kids, if we thought we could trust them to make good judgement calls there would be no need to spend 18 years raising them. We know kids make bad decisions at times. Now I'll agree that some parents might need to spend a little more time talking to them about things that might be uncomfortable, but even that won't help in many cases. It's a taboo, and they want to see what it's all about. I think they don't understand all the ramifications or the danger.
Instead of taping the men I suggest cutting their testicals off with a rusty knife, that might help. I'm actually quite serious. It's a vicious cycle. Abused kids turn into pedophiles themselves in many cases. And most are never able to have a normal life. I put child abuse right up there with murder. It's just much more difficult to prosecute in so many cases (I never mentioned Michael Jackson) Ooops!

Quote:

Originally Posted by jmmtn4aj
The actual standards for qualifying as a pedophile is something like 10-12 years old IIRC. Or a certain number of years younger than you, whichever is farther from your age. I.e a 14 year old who is attracted to a 12 year old girl isn't a pedophile simply because he's too close to her in age. Going by those standards, some guy who wants to screw a 15 year old girl isn't a pedophile either, because a fifteen year old, while underaged by law, doesn't qualify as under the 'children' umbrella.

Then again in the US 15 year olds look like bloody adults anyway, whether its genetic or because of those hormones you feed your cows which gets into the milk..

You can try to rationalize that if you want to, but the fact is that an adult has no business trying to have sex with a 15 y.o.! Some states like my homestate of Alaska have a lower age of consent (16), but I don't believe this was put into effect to give adults the right to have sex with teens. If you're 25 years old and you desire sex with a 16 y.o., you have some emotional problems you'd better deal with!

Oct 22, 2006 at 7:08 PM Post #15 of 90
Quote:

Originally Posted by jmmtn4aj

A 15 yeard old is a child by anyones judgement. Are you saying that sleeping with someone 15 years of age is ok?

Why do you know so much about the definition of pedophile?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back