Dateline NBC - To Catch a Predator
Oct 23, 2006 at 9:58 PM Post #61 of 90
Azure, at least in NY you are safe since you are 17 and the potential she is 16.

In New York, sex between men 21 or over and girls under the age of 17 is a violation of the age of consent and activates Statutory rape. Statutory means it's a crime regardless of the intent of either party.

Since in NY you are considered an adult at age 18, you can see it as the State not thinking you're a perv for 3 full years of your adulthood if you continue to date high school kids.

Oct 23, 2006 at 10:24 PM Post #62 of 90
Quote:

Originally Posted by swt61
I can't get over some of the attitudes on here! Azure I can tell you exactly when your mind will change on this subject, the day you welcome your child into the world. To disregard the adults responsibility because they are pedophiles and can't help it is absurd. To think that stopping a teen from giving out personal info will stop pedophilia is equally absurd. The pedophile is just taking the easiest way to the kid. Do you really believe that they'll give up if it becomes more challenging. What do you think they did before the internet? Parks and playgrounds might not be the hunting grounds anymore, but they're still out they're stalking kids in arcades and anywhere else they can find them. And even if all they wanted was sex, and they'd never physically harm the child, it's still emotionally devastating for so many of the victems. But all pedophiles aren't so timid! I used to work for DHL and delivered to the Polly Klaas foundation in Petaluma, CA daily. I was there when they found Richard Allen Davis, and a more evil person never existed.
You're 17 and a very bright young man, that's easy to see, but you need to realise that the Black and White world they teach in elementary and secondary schools does not exist. It's all shades of gray, and sometimes laws need to be set to protect society even when an act may appear at first glance relatively harmless.
I brought up Michael Jackson as a joke earlier, but I think he's a good case in point. So many people can't believe he could ever be guilty of molesting children, and those people are just as dangerous as he is. Wise up! I fully believe he and the rest of his siblings were molested by their father Joe, just like Rebbie announced so many years ago. They read like poster children for sexual abuse. And while my heart bleeds for Michael as a young victim, I have zero tollerance for his behavior as an adult. The past recipients know better than anyone the hell they're inflicting on their victims.
I won't even go into statutory rape with you, I'll let you read up on that yourself, but it's not by any stretch of the imagination a frivolous law.
I hope you don't consider this some kind of personal assault on your character. I only debate this with you because I do find you to be a very intelligent young man, and I'm trying to get you to understand the perspective of an older if not necessarily wiser adult.

I didn't say that getting kids to stop sending out private info would end all pedophilia. I was saying that it would significantly lower its frequency in the contect of this Dateline thing (Which deals with predators over the internet); I think I mentioned that in all the references I made, but I might have forgotten to include it in one or two.

Quote:

That sounds suspiciously like the acts of baiting you just spent several posts criticizing.
rolleyes.gif

Oh snap, I'm a pedophile!

It was just a joke (Me being under 17, possibly a target for a pedophile, and the pedophile in this case being an attractive women. I want to have sex with an attractive woman. The part that I'm not serious about here is that the women is a pedophile, which can be considered morally wrong, but the joke is that I'm horny and want to have sex with an attractive woman. Bah, it's a bad joke, I'm sorry)
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 23, 2006 at 10:35 PM Post #63 of 90
Yes Azure I realised it was a joke. I also know that you don't condone pedophiles. It's just that some times the attitude seems to be a bit cavalier if the teen is inviting sexual advances. At what age do you decide when a teen is old enough to make a solid judgement call here? Everyone grows at a different rate emotionaly, so you must chose an arbitrary number and stick to it. Even if sometimes it may seem not to seem to apply.

And BTW if you're really that much in need of female companionship, I'm sure we could come to an arrangement, and I could help hook you up with a willing participent in your age group. Let's see what headphones and amp do you own?
very_evil_smiley.gif

Oct 23, 2006 at 11:01 PM Post #64 of 90
Quote:

Originally Posted by Azure
I'm horny and want to have sex with an attractive woman

I hear that.

Oct 23, 2006 at 11:03 PM Post #65 of 90
Quote:

And BTW if you're really that much in need of female companionship, I'm sure we could come to an arrangement, and I could help hook you up with a willing participent in your age group. Let's see what headphones and amp do you own?
very_evil_smiley.gif

I think it's time you put up a Mall-Fi ad if you're going to keep promoting your wares like this.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Oct 23, 2006 at 11:14 PM Post #67 of 90
Quote:

very_evil_smiley.gif

Now now, I don't know what it's like where you come from, but that kind of thing is illegal here!

Oct 23, 2006 at 11:21 PM Post #68 of 90
lambda.gif

Oct 23, 2006 at 11:30 PM Post #70 of 90
Quote:

Originally Posted by lmilhan
'Oh cwap!'

That still gets me!
biggrin.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trippytiger
Now now, I don't know what it's like where you come from, but that kind of thing is illegal here!

Oh no, pedophiles are illegal here, but pedopimps are perfectly legit.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Oct 23, 2006 at 11:59 PM Post #71 of 90
Quote:

Originally Posted by Trippytiger

It's okay, Steve's fully licensed for it.

Oct 24, 2006 at 12:09 AM Post #72 of 90
Quote:

Originally Posted by mr_baseball_08
As many people have pointed out already, teens and pre-teens don't make the right decision 95% of the time. And you can't teach someone to make the right decision. There's not a Decision 101 class when you go to high school. Decision making abilities come with age and experience. At between the ages of 8 and 18, you don't have much of either (age and experience).

when I was 6 years old I thought the tweeter on my dads Hi-fi system looked like a really cool button and pressed it. There was something about the appearence that just begged for me to push it every time I saw it. But I was immediately "taught" to decide not to put my little grubby fingers on any more of his audio stuff. The educator was a clotheshanger to the back. Obviously parenting plays a huge part in this. I will wager that most of the victims have poor relationships with their parents, or have trouble communicating with them. I don't know what parent would not make some effort to educate their children about the dangers of the internet..

Quote:

I have no doubt that our society focuses on youth. I myself have looked at lots of 17- 19 y.o. girls at times with desire in my thoughts. That's perfectly natural.

No I agree, it is perfectly natural, just as I find females my age attractive, I do not doubt that when I turn 29 I would still find them attractive. Have you seen teens these days? I have mistaken many 15 year olds for 18 or 19 year olds! Not trying to bring nature into this but you have to face it that post puberty means sexual matureity. The whole "are they ready for the mental trauma of sex?" is a byproduct of how we have chosen to raise our children. I know 18 year olds who are much more mature than some 30 year olds, and if forced into the position of taking adult responsibilities such as raising a family, they would probably do a much better job than most adults. Looking back in history we see that 15 was considered an adult woman and ready to bear children because they had to deal with the circumstances of shorter lifespans. This proves that 15 year old girls can handle sex and most definately 18 year old girls can handle bearing children. Why are we babying and pampering our children today, forcing them to develop slowly, only gaining independence at some arbitrary age we deem appropriate? In the future with advancements in medicine, what if humans can realistically have lifespans of 150yrs +? Will we then modify the age of adulthood again to 30?

Oct 24, 2006 at 12:34 AM Post #73 of 90
Quote:

Originally Posted by pne
Why are we babying and pampering our children today, forcing them to develop slowly, only gaining independence at some arbitrary age we deem appropriate? In the future with advancements in medicine, what if humans can realistically have lifespans of 150yrs +? Will we then modify the age of adulthood again to 30?

Because today's teens aren't as mature and responsible as the teens of 200 years ago?

Oct 24, 2006 at 12:54 AM Post #75 of 90
Quote:

Why are we babying and pampering our children today, forcing them to develop slowly, only gaining independence at some arbitrary age we deem appropriate? In the future with advancements in medicine, what if humans can realistically have lifespans of 150yrs +? Will we then modify the age of adulthood again to 30?

The later onset of adulthood corresponds with increasing education and the rise of the nanny state. Getting an education prevents children from providing for themselves, which in turn delays their psychological maturation. The nanny state prevent children from making potentially dangerous mistakes also prevents them from learning from those mistakes.

It's a trade off. In return for later psychological maturation, we've gotten increased childhood safety and higher lifetime earning potentials.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back