Darth Beyer - Which Amp though?
Jul 7, 2010 at 9:41 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

reiserFS

Headphoneus Supremus
I have a Darth Beyer V2 on the way for some late night listening and searched a few hours around on head-fi regarding a right amp, didn't find anything interesting besides that they really go well along with the Darkvoice amps. Anyone tried other amps with the Darth Beyer, preferably in the 400$ range? The Schiit Asgard also looks interesting now that the 220v version is almost done.

Jul 7, 2010 at 10:54 PM Post #4 of 8
If you want your bass tight, you're generally better off with a solid state amp than an inexpensive tube amp. Tubes will bloom a little and smear the low end, unless you have a very well-designed one. Generally, those kinds of tube amps will have output transformers and a pretty solid power supply including chokes and plenty of filtering. That sort of thing does not come cheap - you can easily spend over $400 on parts for a DIY amp that includes them, so it's difficult to find a commercial one at that price since it'll include labor and profit. Solid state can be done well for much less money and chips have good low output impedance and handle the lows better. For $400, I'd look mostly at the midrange solid state amps. Tubes are popular and very cool, but solid state can sound really good, too.

Jul 7, 2010 at 11:02 PM Post #5 of 8
x2 on what Uncle Erik said if you want to make these headphones a little less crazy, but as they're pretty far from "reproduction" of music and really into the "making it fun", why not go with something even more extreme. :)  Oh and just so I don't sound like I'm bashing Darth Beyers, I've had like 10 different versions of them already and really enjoyed them while I had them.

Jul 7, 2010 at 11:06 PM Post #6 of 8

Quote:
If you want your bass tight, you're generally better off with a solid state amp than an inexpensive tube amp. Tubes will bloom a little and smear the low end, unless you have a very well-designed one. Generally, those kinds of tube amps will have output transformers and a pretty solid power supply including chokes and plenty of filtering. That sort of thing does not come cheap - you can easily spend over $400 on parts for a DIY amp that includes them, so it's difficult to find a commercial one at that price since it'll include labor and profit. Solid state can be done well for much less money and chips have good low output impedance and handle the lows better. For $400, I'd look mostly at the midrange solid state amps. Tubes are popular and very cool, but solid state can sound really good, too.

That post really helps, much appreciating your input. I'll be looking at SS amps then. I've had the Schiit Asgard in my mind for a while now, do you happen to have a few recommendations on your hand though?

Edit: I've read a bit about the Shanling PH100, and it apparently does quite nicely with 770/80s.

Jul 8, 2010 at 2:21 PM Post #8 of 8
As usual, Uncle Erik gives good advice - the "regular" Darth Beyers definitely do best with a SS amp.  Some of the Headroom amps have some very subtle bass contour controls IIRC - that might be just the ticket.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back