Darkvoice just released 332
Mar 13, 2008 at 8:24 PM Post #1,141 of 1,892
Did you try other tubes? I got a pair of Ericsson 6AK5 that makes some noise like you describe. I could be wrong, but I think the noise was only in left channel, even if I swapped positions. With the Mullards, everything is quiet.

Mar 13, 2008 at 8:30 PM Post #1,142 of 1,892
Quote:

Originally Posted by nor_spoon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I could be wrong, but I think the noise was only in left channel, even if I swapped positions.

I believe this to be true in my case, as well!

I'll try the other tubes (non-stock) that were sold/gifted with the amp.

===

As for Zodduska's suggestion about cheater plugs all around, wouldn't the DAC (if it needed a plug) be buzzing with my GLite, too? I don't know the answer, just asking...

I'll definitely move my Airport Express as far away as I can and see if that helps.

Mar 13, 2008 at 10:29 PM Post #1,143 of 1,892
Since I sold you the amp, I'll chime in. I had a small hum when used with some tubes. Also, I was getting a bit of ground loop (same as I get with the SP Extreme) in my setup when everything was plugged in (I think it was because of the computer that the DAC was plugged into). However, when I used my WE 403Bs (different than the ones you have) and a pair of Ulys (or stock tubes) and a cheater plug, it was completely silent. This isn't much help but I just thought it may help you solve the problem.

Sorry to hear that you haven't been able to experiene bliss yet!

Quote:

Originally Posted by mchang /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I need some help from the DV332 gurus:

I still have the faintest whine/hum ("weeeeee") from my second-hand 332 through my headphones. It sounds like the electrical hum the amp puts out externally when you turn it on, but higher pitched and I hear it through my HD650s. Kinda like the sound old CRT TVs make when turned on.

I hear it when the music is turned off, but the everything else in on and the volume is turned to normal 9:00 level. Or when the music is very soft (especially if volume is turned down).

If I swap in my GLite+DPS, everything is SILENT SILENT SILENT.

In addition, there is the occasional sound that sounds like a glassy shushing ("shoosh shoosh shoosh"). It is also very faint. It is intermittent and is most noticeable when music is off or playing softly.

This shushing is kind of similar to, but MUCH MUCH softer and shorter in length than the shutdown glass-clinking sound ("plink clink shlink plink clink shlink"), which I'm assuming is tubes powering down and is normal.

I've pulled the Svets and WE403bs a couple of different times, swapped location and this last time, pulled the pins out slightly, straightened them if crooked, and lightly brushed with a Brillo pad. They seem clean and straight.

Overall, the sound is great from my setup, but this last 1% of issues is preventing bliss.

Any ideas? Is this normal?

P.S. Addition of cheater plug does nothing. I've also swapped stock DV power cable for stock GLite cable; no improvement. I've got a $40 Acoustic Research "power conditioner" surge protector plugged into the wall.

Mar 13, 2008 at 10:35 PM Post #1,144 of 1,892
I think it may depend on the amp. Someone please correct me if I am incorrect.

Quote:

As for Zodduska's suggestion about cheater plugs all around, wouldn't the DAC (if it needed a plug) be buzzing with my GLite, too? I don't know the answer, just asking...

I'll definitely move my Airport Express as far away as I can and see if that helps.

Mar 13, 2008 at 10:40 PM Post #1,145 of 1,892
Just do it... and... see if it works - don't debate it.

I had the same problem... and... it worked for me.

Mar 13, 2008 at 10:50 PM Post #1,146 of 1,892
Thanks for replies, gurus! Cheater plugs all around!

No worries, Shelly. The amp is great, and I'm sure it'll all work out.

Mar 15, 2008 at 12:40 PM Post #1,148 of 1,892
Quote:

Originally Posted by dreamwhisper /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What did you do?
Cheater plugs, switch tubes?

cheers

I just installed a cheater plug on the CDP power cord and that resolved the problem - eliminated the ground loop hum.

You may have to experiment with your various power cords to see which one(s) may be causing the problem (or will eliminate it) - maybe one, maybe several.

Mar 18, 2008 at 3:35 AM Post #1,149 of 1,892
Update: I believe I've isolated the issue to my two WE403b tubes.

Started by adding cheater plugs to both amp and DAC. Also my second-hand Jellyfish power cord arrived. Using it on DV. Even with all the changes, it was still whining and glassy swooshing.

Unplugged DAC, Airport Express, GLite, everything except DV. Plugged in my iPod with LOD to RCA. Same.

Removed cheater plugs. Swapped two Svets for two other Svets. Left WE403b in place. Same whine and glassiness.

Swapped 403s for two Ericsson 6AK5 tubes that shellylh gifted with sale. I think this has cured the whine and glass! Still running the newer pair of Svets. Plugged everything back in. No cheater plugs. Airport is about six inches from DV.

I can't tell any SQ differences, so all appears good. I'm not jinxing it by claiming "bliss" yet, but it's close!
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 18, 2008 at 12:40 PM Post #1,150 of 1,892
Glad to here it was the probably the tubes, they are easy to replace. It's too bad that you already owned a pair of WE403b's when you bought the amp or I would have thrown a pair in with the amp. Unfortunately, I sold both of my WE403b's and Ericsson 403b's to someone already. You should really try to get another pair of 403b's, they outshine the 6AK5Ws by far (IMO).

Quote:

Update: I believe I've isolated the issue to my two WE403b tubes.

Started by adding cheater plugs to both amp and DAC. Also my second-hand Jellyfish power cord arrived. Using it on DV. Even with all the changes, it was still whining and glassy swooshing.

Unplugged DAC, Airport Express, GLite, everything except DV. Plugged in my iPod with LOD to RCA. Same.

Removed cheater plugs. Swapped two Svets for two other Svets. Left WE403b in place. Same whine and glassiness.

Swapped 403s for two Ericsson 6AK5 tubes that shellylh gifted with sale. I think this has cured the whine and glass! Still running the newer pair of Svets. Plugged everything back in. No cheater plugs. Airport is about six inches from DV.

I can't tell any SQ differences, so all appears good. I'm not jinxing it by claiming "bliss" yet, but it's close!
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 18, 2008 at 4:29 PM Post #1,151 of 1,892
Recieved my Darkvoice 332 today.
biggrin.gif

Ordered from Jasmine, and must say she is an excellent seller.

I have 1 question, how do you remove those black tube surrounding thingies?
I've tried unscrewing them, pulling them up, no luck.

Mar 18, 2008 at 4:44 PM Post #1,152 of 1,892
Quote:

Originally Posted by mybeat /img/forum/go_quote.gif
biggrin.gif

congrats on your DV332! I'm loving mine, and yes Jasmine rocks
biggrin.gif

to remove the tube covers gently push down on them and turn counter-clockwise while keeping even pressure, you should feel them release and spring upwards, then carefully slide them up and off.

Mar 18, 2008 at 4:55 PM Post #1,153 of 1,892
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zodduska /img/forum/go_quote.gif
congrats on your DV332! I'm loving mine, and yes Jasmine rocks
biggrin.gif

to remove the tube covers gently push down on them and turn counter-clockwise while keeping even pressure, you should feel them release and spring upwards, then carefully slide them up and off.

Thanx, that helped.
Does it matter if they are removed or they should stay there?

Mar 18, 2008 at 6:05 PM Post #1,154 of 1,892
No problem. from what I have seen it seems like most people leave them off, I do. though, I cant say for sure weather or not there is any benefit for having them either on or off.. it seems they are intended to act as tube dampeners and possibly heatsinks as well. Jasmine would probably be a good person to ask, let me know what they say if you decide to
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 18, 2008 at 10:19 PM Post #1,155 of 1,892
Quote:

Originally Posted by mybeat /img/forum/go_quote.gif
biggrin.gif

I'm just curious...

... how do we know "Jasmine" is a female?

Isn't that just a business name?

Isn't it possible... Jasmine... is actually a business... staffed primarily by males?

If so... shouldn't we... refer to "Jasmine" as a business entity... and... and not "gender specific?''

"I mean... I'm just sayin'."

Jasmine... if you're out there... can you clear this up?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back