Darkvoice just released 332
Mar 9, 2008 at 12:23 AM Post #1,126 of 1,892
Clarity Caps are excellent. I've tried them in the output stage of my MF X-DAC V3 with great results.
biggrin.gif

Mar 9, 2008 at 3:25 AM Post #1,127 of 1,892
hmm, worth it?

NOS 4 Tung Sol Vacuum Radio Tubes 6AK5 Matched for 30$?
2 Sylvania Gold Brand NOS 5654 / 6AK5 for $60?
5 NOS Sylvania 6AK5 WB (USA) Vacuum Tubes NIB for $ 25

How much are you guys willing to pay for tubes?
Does anyone know if there is a 6AK5W version of Tung Sol tubes?

Mar 9, 2008 at 3:28 AM Post #1,129 of 1,892
For reference, I paid $35 for two WE403B tubes. And I paid $46.00 for ten Svetlana 6S19P-V tubes. Couldn't be happier.

Edit: all extra Svets sold.

Quote:

Originally Posted by dreamwhisper /img/forum/go_quote.gif
hmm, worth it?

Mar 9, 2008 at 3:59 AM Post #1,130 of 1,892
Quote:

hmm, worth it?

There are 6AK5 versions of TS tubes... and... "they're spectacular!"

Mar 9, 2008 at 7:00 AM Post #1,131 of 1,892
Quote:

Originally Posted by mchang /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For reference, I paid $35 for two WE403B tubes. And I paid $46.00 for ten Svetlana 6S19P-V tubes. Couldn't be happier. I'll likely unload two of the Svets in a while.

Please sell them to me!!
tongue.gif

I have no tubes yet lol

Mar 9, 2008 at 7:12 AM Post #1,132 of 1,892
Quote:

Hey guys I've been lurking this thread and am planning on buying a DV332.

I'm planning on ordering from Jasmine_Chine on eBay, and I just received an email from him asking me if I wanted to buy it from him outside of eBay, if I do this I am not entitled to PayPal/eBay buyer protection. He has nothing but good feedback from people on Head-Fi, and I'm currently weighing the risk of me getting scammed.

Do any of you know what voltage North America power outlets use?(Canada)

I did the same. No worries with Jasmine, I got mine in 4 days. He is 100% genuine.

Mar 9, 2008 at 8:43 AM Post #1,133 of 1,892
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ori /img/forum/go_quote.gif
30uF is a large value - what's the application?

It's DV 332 output coupling caps

DSC_3455-1-1.jpg

I like Clarity Caps, but Clarity Caps SA 33uf - 66x70 mm
frown.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ori /img/forum/go_quote.gif
When selecting caps, determine the actual operating voltage and pick a cap with a slightly higher voltage rating.

I measured 64v - it's reasonable? 100v will be good?

Mar 10, 2008 at 8:32 AM Post #1,134 of 1,892
Quote:

Originally Posted by miky /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's DV 332 output coupling caps
I like Clarity Caps, but Clarity Caps SA 33uf - 66x70 mm
frown.gif

From the pic it's obvious that space is a problem. In addition, 30uF is a bit small in this position. I calculated 176 ohm impedance for this cap at 30Hz. Depending on your headphones, it may severely roll off the low bass.
Quote:

I measured 64v - it's reasonable? 100v will be good?

You can't just measure the DC on the cap for that value. You have to assume that the voltage will swing higher when you apply an input signal. It's best to measure the power supply going to the final tube and take some margin over that. In your pic, that would be the top point of the large green resistors.

Like I said before, you may end up with the same caps with a foil cap as a bypass for each.
You should also replace the input caps (0.47uF, on the green PCB on the bottom left in the pic) with quality foil caps. To keep it consistent, I'd use the same type and value caps for bypassing the output Solens.

Mar 11, 2008 at 7:39 AM Post #1,137 of 1,892
I think they might be the 6S19P-V's just the buyer doesn't know it
I saw pictures of them and they look identical to Svetlana 6S19p-V's... their serial number and everything

I'm not going to bid on those, but I bought some Svets from the same seller a couple days ago. I'll let you guys know how they sound compared to the 2 tried & true bonafide Svetlana 6S19P-V's I'm buying off of mchang.
I think I'm done with auctions, I always get sniped..

BTW what does tube matching do?

Mar 11, 2008 at 2:54 PM Post #1,138 of 1,892
Miky, after seeing the discoloration on some of the wires in there I'm a bit concerned about the longevity of my 332. Can you confirm if those are burns or rust or what? Do you leave it on for very extended periods?

Mar 13, 2008 at 6:05 PM Post #1,139 of 1,892
I need some help from the DV332 gurus:

I still have the faintest whine/hum ("weeeeee") from my second-hand 332 through my headphones. It sounds like the electrical hum the amp puts out externally when you turn it on, but higher pitched and I hear it through my HD650s. Kinda like the sound old CRT TVs make when turned on.

I hear it when the music is turned off, but the everything else in on and the volume is turned to normal 9:00 level. Or when the music is very soft (especially if volume is turned down).

If I swap in my GLite+DPS, everything is SILENT SILENT SILENT.

In addition, there is the occasional sound that sounds like a glassy shushing ("shoosh shoosh shoosh"). It is also very faint. It is intermittent and is most noticeable when music is off or playing softly.

This shushing is kind of similar to, but MUCH MUCH softer and shorter in length than the shutdown glass-clinking sound ("plink clink shlink plink clink shlink"), which I'm assuming is tubes powering down and is normal.

I've pulled the Svets and WE403bs a couple of different times, swapped location and this last time, pulled the pins out slightly, straightened them if crooked, and lightly brushed with a Brillo pad. They seem clean and straight.

Overall, the sound is great from my setup, but this last 1% of issues is preventing bliss.

Any ideas? Is this normal?

P.S. Addition of cheater plug does nothing. I've also swapped stock DV power cable for stock GLite cable; no improvement. I've got a $40 Acoustic Research "power conditioner" surge protector plugged into the wall.

Mar 13, 2008 at 6:44 PM Post #1,140 of 1,892
Quote:

Originally Posted by mchang /img/forum/go_quote.gif
stuff

I've noticed mine picks up my cellphone signal quite easily, check for other things you might have like a wireless router or anything else that might be putting out a lot of RF within range of the amp. For the electric hum I was going to suggest ground loop, since one cheater plug doesn't work maybe it is coming through the RCA's from your source so try a cheater plug on it as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back