Darkvoice 337 - A Review
Dec 19, 2009 at 5:06 PM Post #766 of 909
Quote:

Originally Posted by leothan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi ,I got some problem with the noise,Bc I moved my amp to beside my table ,and the ground noise appears,however when I put my hand behind the rca plug without touching them ,the nose disappear ,I also tried to connect the ground of rca to the case but it does not help anything

Maybe try a better RCA cable? MOAR SHIELDING! Any CRTs near? Any other Electronics? Make sure the power cables are away from your input Interconnects, etc.

Dec 20, 2009 at 3:11 PM Post #767 of 909
But I dont have this problem bf,just happened when I move the amp to the other side of the table
frown.gif
,also dont have any electronics around there

Dec 20, 2009 at 3:32 PM Post #768 of 909
Quote:

But I dont have this problem bf,just happened when I move the amp to the other side of the table
frown.gif
,also dont have any electronics around there

Tubes still "seated" well?

Dec 20, 2009 at 3:48 PM Post #770 of 909
Well you're picking up something. That amp in my experience is sensitive to RFI. I had to replace ICs on it to make sure they were well shielded. RFI is obviously different where it sits now. Also, rewiring some of that beautiful Point to Pont hardwire I'm sure would make it better. The inside of the box is kinda a huge antenna array! I do like the looks of it though!

Dec 20, 2009 at 8:31 PM Post #771 of 909
Hello everyone!

It's taken a while, but I've finally trawled through most of this interesting thread and I think I'm going to go for a 337.

I have two questions:

1) Will it be a good match for HD600s? [The comments seem to suggest "yes", but a couple of specific opinions would be great]

2) I'm going to be playing uncompressed files from a laptop. What would be a good DAC? It must have a USB input because I have no digital output. [My current favourite is the MF V-DAC, but I haven't heard it myself]

Many thanks for your opinions
Gord

Dec 20, 2009 at 8:45 PM Post #772 of 909
Quote:

Originally Posted by gordonshowers /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hello everyone!

It's taken a while, but I've finally trawled through most of this interesting thread and I think I'm going to go for a 337.

I have two questions:

1) Will it be a good match for HD600s? [The comments seem to suggest "yes", but a couple of specific opinions would be great]

2) I'm going to be playing uncompressed files from a laptop. What would be a good DAC? It must have a USB input because I have no digital output. [My current favourite is the MF V-DAC, but I haven't heard it myself]

Many thanks for your opinions
Gord

My HD650s were awesome with it. I'm feeding it with a Audio-GD REF 1 DAC and it is a killer combo. It also worked well with The A-GD Compass DAC.

Dec 21, 2009 at 8:32 PM Post #773 of 909
Quote:

Originally Posted by les_garten /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My HD650s were awesome with it. I'm feeding it with a Audio-GD REF 1 DAC and it is a killer combo. It also worked well with The A-GD Compass DAC.

Thanks for your reply, that was quick!! I won't get a chance to listen first, so all opinions are really useful to me, and it's enough money to want to be as sure as I can before purchase.

The REF 1 is way beyond my budget! Did you run the Compass in "DAC-only" mode then into the 337?

Dec 21, 2009 at 8:38 PM Post #774 of 909
Quote:

Originally Posted by gordonshowers /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for your reply, that was quick!! I won't get a chance to listen first, so all opinions are really useful to me, and it's enough money to want to be as sure as I can before purchase.

The REF 1 is way beyond my budget! Did you run the Compass in "DAC-only" mode then into the 337?

Yes I did. The Compass is a VERY good value for $280. It's still a deal at quite a bit more. I'm raising $$$ for some projects right now and am trying to keep my Compass, it's just so versatile and a nicely executed piece of gear.

Dec 22, 2009 at 11:40 AM Post #775 of 909
Quote:

Yes I did. The Compass is a VERY good value for $280. It's still a deal at quite a bit more. I'm raising $$$ for some projects right now and am trying to keep my Compass, it's just so versatile and a nicely executed piece of gear.

Thanks very much for your views.

Time to get ordering
smile_phones.gif

Dec 22, 2009 at 2:33 PM Post #776 of 909
Thank les_garten ,my problem solved when I changed the power distributor ,think something wrong with the old one ,
anw ,I intend to buy the OPOCC 14WG pure copper cable to rewire the 337 amp ,I am not sure it will improve the sound ? any ideas about it ?
Quote:

Well you're picking up something. That amp in my experience is sensitive to RFI. I had to replace ICs on it to make sure they were well shielded. RFI is obviously different where it sits now. Also, rewiring some of that beautiful Point to Pont hardwire I'm sure would make it better. The inside of the box is kinda a huge antenna array! I do like the looks of it though!

Dec 22, 2009 at 3:33 PM Post #777 of 909
Quote:

Thank les_garten ,my problem solved when I changed the power distributor ,think something wrong with the old one ,
anw ,I intend to buy the OPOCC 14WG pure copper cable to rewire the 337 amp ,I am not sure it will improve the sound ? any ideas about it ?

I had some other folks look at it. The tube heaters are AC and untwisted. If you rewired just the heater circuit that may get rid of any background hum. Part of me wants to do that, part of me doesn't want to fark with that beautiful P-P wiring job that was done by an artist.

If I look at the portion of the Vol control where I listen at MAX loud levels, there is no HUM there. The HUM comes around 12:00 with no input. I listen LOUD at 9-9:30. But the back of my mind wonders if clearing up the HUM will make it sound even better.

Do you get any hum on yours up high?

Dec 22, 2009 at 7:06 PM Post #778 of 909
I never turn the volume nob over 9h ,to loud for me ,usually around 8 ,and I also got hum but very little ,must listen very carefully without the music
anw ,one of my friend recommend to replace the two big output caps with 10 smaller caps(each side) ,really want to try when I have the chance
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back