Darkvoice 336i & 336SE Tuberolling PartII
Jan 12, 2024 at 9:06 AM Post #14,387 of 14,543
Why what is wrong with them in your opinion?
Nothing wrong, in fact it's a good product for the price to start the tube rolling hobby but normally people upgrade after it to higher amps.

Jan 12, 2024 at 9:41 AM Post #14,388 of 14,543
^ This!

Why what is wrong with them in your opinion?

@Lightspeed12 Also - If you were in the US and had the 110V version...and especially if you no DIY experience to do the mods, suffering through even one amp stock was very "challenging" with tube rolling and the inherent humming issues. There is nothing more disheartening than spending on tubes only to find that they cause a ton of humming and you have to burn them in days into a week to see if they will be usable at all. This issue kind of wore me down over time and it's the straw that broke the camel's back.

Anyways some people are always curious and eventually upgrade from the DV to other amps. Usually to find something more refined, a more articulate, controlled, elevated kind of sound. Probably in the vain and direction of your WA7.

I've always thought DV to be a unique amp - it is, for me, one of the "tubiest" amps out there. I'm not surprised actually that the DV as a pre to the WA7 works really well due to what both offers. By the way, do you have the WA7tp as well?

Last edited:
Jan 12, 2024 at 10:22 AM Post #14,389 of 14,543
Jan 12, 2024 at 2:48 PM Post #14,390 of 14,543
^ This!

@Lightspeed12 Also - If you were in the US and had the 110V version...and especially if you no DIY experience to do the mods, suffering through even one amp stock was very "challenging" with tube rolling and the inherent humming issues. There is nothing more disheartening than spending on tubes only to find that they cause a ton of humming and you have to burn them in days into a week to see if they will be usable at all. This issue kind of wore me down over time and it's the straw that broke the camel's back.

Anyways some people are always curious and eventually upgrade from the DV to other amps. Usually to find something more refined, a more articulate, controlled, elevated kind of sound. Probably in the vain and direction of your WA7.

I've always thought DV to be a unique amp - it is, for me, one of the "tubiest" amps out there. I'm not surprised actually that the DV as a pre to the WA7 works really well due to what both offers. By the way, do you have the WA7tp as well?
I must be degrading in tube amps 😅 I already have the woo audio wa7 fireflies 3rd gen with RCA clear top tubes & Mazda tubes for a different sound. Also the fostex hpv1 hybrid tube amp for on the move. But I just love the primitive sound of the darkvoice on my hd6xx, hd600 for some reason. When I hooked up the wa7 to it for fun as a pre dac/amp the paring was amazing.

Jan 12, 2024 at 3:19 PM Post #14,392 of 14,543
I must be degrading in tube amps 😅 I already have the woo audio wa7 fireflies 3rd gen with RCA clear top tubes & Mazda tubes for a different sound. Also the fostex hpv1 hybrid tube amp for on the move. But I just love the primitive sound of the darkvoice on my hd6xx, hd600 for some reason. When I hooked up the wa7 to it for fun as a pre dac/amp the paring was amazing.

Hey - if you like it, you like it. Don't mess with the magic. Not downgrading/degrading or anything, many of these amps just have different presentations and trade offs. And the DV as an OTL amp has been a convincing paring with the Senns.

Jan 12, 2024 at 8:58 PM Post #14,393 of 14,543
In fact the DV excels in term of warmth while lacking cleanliness. The more you move up in amps the more the cleanliness the less warmth all the way to SS sounding amps. IMHO

Jan 12, 2024 at 9:00 PM Post #14,394 of 14,543
Hey - if you like it, you like it. Don't mess with the magic. Not downgrading/degrading or anything, many of these amps just have different presentations and trade offs. And the DV as an OTL amp has been a convincing paring with the Senns.
The DV with the Sens HD600 is one of the rare happy marriages 😍

Jan 12, 2024 at 9:04 PM Post #14,395 of 14,543
Feeding the DV through a Lokius will also yield a good result with many cans.

Jan 13, 2024 at 1:09 AM Post #14,397 of 14,543
Feeding the DV through a Lokius will also yield a good result in many cans.
Including this? ... 🤔🤣:
CCE86041-4950-4682-B4B4-CE305A56BA75.jpeg

Jan 13, 2024 at 1:14 AM Post #14,398 of 14,543
Jan 13, 2024 at 1:16 AM Post #14,399 of 14,543
Mine goes through the loki mini + I also have the Lokius but thats hooked up to my topping a90 discrete/ d90le.
Not sure about the Topping inputs but Lokius have both RCA and Balanced I/O which output in parallel.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back