Darkvoice 336i & 336SE Tuberolling PartII
Jan 18, 2024 at 2:30 AM Post #14,416 of 14,543
Jan 18, 2024 at 2:45 AM Post #14,418 of 14,543
How would i check if its a pin issue, multimeter? I am sorry, I am, what you would call, a filthy casual tube amp user
You better re-solder without checking anything, it won't hurt. You should be able to find lots of tips and videos how to re-solder the pins on this thread even I believe. If this won't solve means the tube internally is Kaput :fire:

Jan 18, 2024 at 2:49 AM Post #14,419 of 14,543
And BTW the Thompson 6080 is a good all rounder when coupled with a Hartung amp.

Jan 27, 2024 at 4:28 PM Post #14,420 of 14,543
Oh, I do have another one, the old one that is getting noisy and it works great, so yeah. Just wasted a lot of money on it :frowning2:

Were you able to sort out your Thompson 6080 tube? Oddly that is one tube I had never had the chance to try. I always wondered if that was a light and airy kind of tube like the Svetlanas but in a 6080 version. But then again, I am just unfairly and illogically associating the French tube with famous light and airy French pastries.

Jan 28, 2024 at 3:45 PM Post #14,423 of 14,543
What have you got paired with the TungSol 5998 & how does the pair sound ? Thanks.
I will probably anger some folks over this... I have it paired with the Psvane CV181-T-MII and I quite like it. I was immediately impressed by the opennnes (airy?) of the TungSol tube. I already have open-back headphones, but with it I thought they opened-back again, despite being "only" the drive tube, silly I know. I prefer Sylvania tubes at front due to being a bit warmer (I like to call them "honey tubes"), because I have DT-1990 Pro (I love them), but all of them are "windy" or unbalanced :frowning2: I got the Psvane about half a year ago just to test it and it's been in use since then. Definitely need to get Sylvanias now.

1000030806.jpg

Last edited:
Jan 29, 2024 at 12:09 AM Post #14,424 of 14,543
I will probably anger some folks over this... I have it paired with the Psvane CV181-T-MII and I quite like it. I was immediately impressed by the opennnes (airy?) of the TungSol tube. I already have open-back headphones, but with it I thought they opened-back again, despite being "only" the drive tube, silly I know. I prefer Sylvania tubes at front due to being a bit warmer (I like to call them "honey tubes"), because I have DT-1990 Pro (I love them), but all of them are "windy" or unbalanced :frowning2: I got the Psvane about half a year ago just to test it and it's been in use since then. Definitely need to get Sylvanias now.

1000030806.jpg
What sylvanias do you recommend if you don't mind me asking. Are you going to run the sylvania power & preamp ?
I wouldn't mind buying the sylvanias for my darkvoice as I want plenty of warmth & that true tube sound.
Also I heard good things about the grey plate RCAs as preamp tubes.
Its all so confusing black plates/ grey plates/ smoked glass etc.

Jan 29, 2024 at 12:29 AM Post #14,425 of 14,543
If you like what ever pairing you like, it's all good, no one is going to get angry here. The 5998 tube pretty much pairs with anything, it just makes everything better.

It's been a while since I've tube rolled, and never got into the next generation Psvane stuff, but back when some of them were still Shuguang, the Tresasure series cv181-z were really killer tubes - very holographic, full bodied tube. The Psvane I think even improves much more, so probably a great tube to roll.

Also I heard good things about the grey plate RCAs as preamp tubes.
Its all so confusing black plates/ grey plates/ smoked glass etc.

Yup - RCA Gray Glass or Smoked Glass 6SN7/VT-231. Cannot go wrong with these.

Jan 29, 2024 at 1:00 AM Post #14,427 of 14,543
I’m ready to sell my Darkhorse. Bonus is that it will go into mono mode sometimes and then automatically it will switch back to stereo. It’s a very clever amp. PM your offers.
8dxhko.jpg

Jan 29, 2024 at 8:19 AM Post #14,430 of 14,543
I’m ready to sell my Darkhorse. Bonus is that it will go into mono mode sometimes and then automatically it will switch back to stereo. It’s a very clever amp. PM your offers.
Are you sure you haven't switched off one ear by accident? 🤣

Users who are viewing this thread

Back