Darkvoice 336i & 336SE Tuberolling PartII
Nov 9, 2020 at 5:42 PM Post #4,516 of 14,501
@bcowen couldn't the 12 points just be heated up or de-soldered and the cap leads be pulled out?

img_comment_p8XVsBX3R7S5nnRjOkh5_dae5667b_2013-04-2009.47.03.jpg

I think this would work: Dayton Audio PMPC-10 10uF 250V Precision Audio Capacitor, and keep the 10uf x 6

Last edited:
Nov 9, 2020 at 7:38 PM Post #4,517 of 14,501
@bcowen couldn't the 12 points just be heated up or de-soldered and the cap leads be pulled out?

Possibly. I'd be concerned about getting a good solder connection with the new cap leads without being able to get to the solder pad(s) on the circuit board though. I also tend to be anal, so there's that. :smiley:

I think this would work: Dayton Audio PMPC-10 10uF 250V Precision Audio Capacitor, and keep the 10uf x 6

Cheaper than the Vishays, but I don't know anything about the Dayton caps. They could be quite good...I just don't know.

Nov 10, 2020 at 9:19 AM Post #4,519 of 14,501
Hey everyone, I just got a used Darkvoice, but whenever I turn it one, even without the tubes installed,
I hear a buzzing sound coming from the black box thingy, like a transformer noise. And I don't mean the
tube hum through the headphones, but rather ftom the unit itself. Is there something that can be done?
Here is also a photo:

Attachments

• Darkvoice.jpg
    Darkvoice.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
Nov 10, 2020 at 10:05 AM Post #4,520 of 14,501
Hey everyone, I just got a used Darkvoice, but whenever I turn it one, even without the tubes installed,
I hear a buzzing sound coming from the black box thingy, like a transformer noise. And I don't mean the
tube hum through the headphones, but rather ftom the unit itself. Is there something that can be done?
Here is also a photo:
the black box thingy, transformer?

Nov 10, 2020 at 10:58 AM Post #4,522 of 14,501
Here is also a photo:

Does it buzz the same with tubes installed and without? With no tubes installed, there is no load on the transformer and that can, in and of itself, cause it to buzz.

First thing I'd try is plugging it into another AC outlet in your house (with tubes installed). If no buzz from another outlet, it's possible that the outlet you're using now is wired incorrectly (hot and neutral reversed), or that the wiring into it is loose or corroded. Transformers can buzz for a variety of reasons, but many times it is due to the incoming AC so best to rule that out first.

Nov 10, 2020 at 11:06 AM Post #4,523 of 14,501
Does it buzz the same with tubes installed and without? With no tubes installed, there is no load on the transformer and that can, in and of itself, cause it to buzz.

First thing I'd try is plugging it into another AC outlet in your house (with tubes installed). If no buzz from another outlet, it's possible that the outlet you're using now is wired incorrectly (hot and neutral reversed), or that the wiring into it is loose or corroded. Transformers can buzz for a variety of reasons, but many times it is due to the incoming AC so best to rule that out first.
It buzzes both with and without. I tried another outlet in the living room (both with and without tubes) and compared to the my bedroom is a bit quiter but not totally gone.

Nov 10, 2020 at 12:14 PM Post #4,524 of 14,501
It buzzes both with and without. I tried another outlet in the living room (both with and without tubes) and compared to the my bedroom is a bit quiter but not totally gone.

Hum. I mean Hmmmm. :smile:

Do you have a cheater plug handy? Interested to see what happens if the earth ground is lifted. If the buzzing changes (or goes away) with the earth ground eliminated, that will at least narrow down what's causing the issue. Note I am *not* suggesting you run the amp with the earth ground bypassed permanently, just on a test basis.

1605028148472.png

Last edited:
Nov 10, 2020 at 1:14 PM Post #4,525 of 14,501
Hum. I mean Hmmmm. :smile:

Do you have a cheater plug handy? Interested to see what happens if the earth ground is lifted. If the buzzing changes (or goes away) with the earth ground eliminated, that will at least narrow down what's causing the issue. Note I am *not* suggesting you run the amp with the earth ground bypassed permanently, just on a test basis.

1605028148472.png
Unfortunately, I live in Europe and the plug is already 2 pinned, so I that wouldn't work.

Nov 10, 2020 at 1:27 PM Post #4,530 of 14,501
I checked everywhere, it doesn't say what voltage, but I doubt it's 120, since when connected works fine
and dandy; aside from the noise. I don't think it would even turn on if it were 120v version.

I must now admit my ignorance on European sockets and plugs. :smile:

Does the below look like yours, or could you get a picture of the wall plug?

1605032812096.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back