Darkvoice 336i & 336SE Tuberolling PartII
Oct 15, 2020 at 5:01 PM Post #4,126 of 14,518
Poor guy just got ganged up on...😂😂 Yes correct. 👍
Well, it is just a minor infraction. Not enough to get tossed out of this thread's treehouse, lol.

Oct 15, 2020 at 5:21 PM Post #4,127 of 14,518
Aren't Psvane's currently produced? I thought NOS meant "new old stock" (i.e. old stock of tubes no longer in production that are at least like "new" -- only tested). Or maybe that's just my definition for NOS when it comes to tubes.

Well it says NOS on the website in the products name don't really know why lol. Must be a mistake in the title because below says brand new. Sorry for the confusion, this is my first dabble in to tubes

Last edited:
Oct 15, 2020 at 5:38 PM Post #4,128 of 14,518
Well it says NOS on the website in the products name don't really know why lol. Must be a mistake in the title because below says brand new. Sorry for the confusion, this is my first dabble in to tubes
No worries... 😂 We all went through the same initiation 😏

Oct 15, 2020 at 5:49 PM Post #4,129 of 14,518
Oct 15, 2020 at 6:08 PM Post #4,130 of 14,518
Ok guys I'm on the hunt for My first tube (one I actually found and bought :smile: ) So i am asking for direction!

What was one of the first reasonably priced NOS tubes you got and enjoyed. I don't wanna complicate this but I'm new to 6SN7's and honestly have no idea whats crap and what's good, other than what I've learned reading here.

So lets say my budget is 25-75 bucks, what would you search for? Or what was a tube in that price range that surprised you in sound?

Thanks Looking forward to the hunt!!

OK, the first NOS tube that blew me away was an RCA 5AR4. So it's a rectifier and doesn't apply to the DV...you didn't state conditions. :stuck_out_tongue::stuck_out_tongue:

When it comes to headphones (and their amps), my first holy grail moment was when I learned after many many years of tube escapades what an adapter was. I guess I grew up in old-school land where an amp that came with a 6SN7 used a 6SN7. And just a 6SN7. But a 7N7 (with an adapter)? Huh? A pair of 6J5's? Huh? Suffice it to say that the bottom fell out of the rabbit hole at that point. My first exploration in this vast and perilous new universe remains one of my greatest though: the Frankentube, or a tall bottle Sylvania 7N7 with particular construction details. A 7N7 is a direct electrical equivalent to a 6SN7, but it has a loctal base instead of the 6SN7's octal base so you have to use an adapter in a socket intended for a 6SN7. The first one of those I bought was $5, and I still use it today. Then if you want to up the ante a bit (but not hugely), there's the 6J5 (and equivalents) to play with. A 6J5 is (kind of) electrically equivalent to a 6SN7 except that it has only one triode (a 6SN7 has 2). So you need an adapter for it, and you need two tubes instead of one, 'cause each triode is for one channel. I'm digging the GEC L63's right now (which is a 6J5 sub). Fellow HeadFi'er @Deyan makes awesome adapters, so if you decide at some point to visit us in the rabbit hole (or even buy your own condo :stuck_out_tongue:) I highly recommend you PM him for any adapter needs.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/L63-CV1067...785746?hash=item48a5d41812:g:BK8AAOSwH7ZdeoEt

Oct 15, 2020 at 6:47 PM Post #4,131 of 14,518
Off topic rant: I wonder what some of the workers would think today (if they were alive) about the going rate of some vintage tubes. Like this pair of Western Electric for $5,500, etc. it’s baffling why anyone would pay that for something that has a lifespan.

Regardless, what balls PSVane has to copy the tube 1:1 and charge $4,300 for new production. Just because the originals are rare and (nutty) people will pay it... You can’t just recreate a tube (steal the vintage design) and try to get near the price. Well they have. It’s criminal IMO.

Oct 15, 2020 at 6:57 PM Post #4,132 of 14,518
Off topic rant: I wonder what some of the workers would think today (if they were alive) about the going rate of some vintage tubes. Like this pair of Western Electric for $5,500, etc. it’s baffling why anyone would pay that for something that has a lifespan.

Regardless, what balls PSVane has to copy the tube 1:1 and charge $4,300 for new production. Just because the originals are rare and (nutty) people will pay it... You can’t just recreate a tube (steal the vintage design) and try to get near the price. Well they have. It’s criminal IMO.

ROFL! Seems logic has long since flown the coop on anything that has a Western Electric brand on it. Not sure what's more disturbing in the one below: that someone is selling broken tubes, or that someone has actually bid $199 for them. Gotta love the seller's text though -- "still fixable?" Where's that guy on TV with the Flex Seal when you need him... :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/One-Pair-B...190655?hash=item1f17acdbff:g:X9UAAOSwuwVff5nw

1602802383374.png

1602802319494.png

Oct 15, 2020 at 7:01 PM Post #4,133 of 14,518
Ahh wow yeah, someone’s mantle piece. Well, if they turn the tube around and take a picture, it’s kind of like the real thing!

Oct 15, 2020 at 7:07 PM Post #4,134 of 14,518
Fun fact: The longest recorded valve life was earned by a Mazda AC/P pentode valve (serial No. 4418) in operation at the BBC's main Northern Ireland transmitter at Lisnagarvey. The valve was in service from 1935 until 1961 and had a recorded life of 232,592 hours. The BBC maintained meticulous records of their valves' lives with periodic returns to their central valve stores.

Oct 15, 2020 at 8:15 PM Post #4,135 of 14,518
OK, the first NOS tube that blew me away was an RCA 5AR4. So it's a rectifier and doesn't apply to the DV...you didn't state conditions. :stuck_out_tongue::stuck_out_tongue:

When it comes to headphones (and their amps), my first holy grail moment was when I learned after many many years of tube escapades what an adapter was. I guess I grew up in old-school land where an amp that came with a 6SN7 used a 6SN7. And just a 6SN7. But a 7N7 (with an adapter)? Huh? A pair of 6J5's? Huh? Suffice it to say that the bottom fell out of the rabbit hole at that point. My first exploration in this vast and perilous new universe remains one of my greatest though: the Frankentube, or a tall bottle Sylvania 7N7 with particular construction details. A 7N7 is a direct electrical equivalent to a 6SN7, but it has a loctal base instead of the 6SN7's octal base so you have to use an adapter in a socket intended for a 6SN7. The first one of those I bought was $5, and I still use it today. Then if you want to up the ante a bit (but not hugely), there's the 6J5 (and equivalents) to play with. A 6J5 is (kind of) electrically equivalent to a 6SN7 except that it has only one triode (a 6SN7 has 2). So you need an adapter for it, and you need two tubes instead of one, 'cause each triode is for one channel. I'm digging the GEC L63's right now (which is a 6J5 sub). Fellow HeadFi'er @Deyan makes awesome adapters, so if you decide at some point to visit us in the rabbit hole (or even buy your own condo :stuck_out_tongue:) I highly recommend you PM him for any adapter needs.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/L63-CV1067...785746?hash=item48a5d41812:g:BK8AAOSwH7ZdeoEt
Thank You very much for the education, Sincerely appreciated, I am definitely interested in the rabbit hole, but I'm gonna take my time in getting there! lol

I am quite aware I'm on a "Headphone Forum" but first and foremost I will listen to my tubes thru the DV as a pre-amp, most of the time as I am trying really hard to get farther into the headphone Lifestyle, That's a long story a difficult for me to explain in an open forum, maybe one day.

Having a home studio has a certain call and need for "Cans" but honestly I prefer not, but am learning everyday the greater appreciation the "Cans " bring versus listening to the "room" and speakers.

Many people have their opinions very strong on both so I don't wanna get into that circle, I'm sure we are all here because of our passion for great sound and music on general. But I have had people tell me you can't hear a difference using "Tubes" or Buffers or whatever in a speaker based system. They are wrong and I know it but sometimes theres no point,lol

Thanks again, and so you know I have been trying to digest the different tubes and adapters, because I do want to try whatever I can afford. Just as a for instance a friend of mine swears by, (I have Never heard it) his Northern electric 6SN7, so I have interest in it, but it never seems to be available and also, I rarely hear anyone mention it in any forums I explore.

Apparently I forgot my meds because I'm droning..lmao Have a great night guy's...see ya soon

Oh and @JKDJedi I do love that WestingHouse!:L3000:

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/people/IFi-audio/61558986775162/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Oct 15, 2020 at 11:06 PM Post #4,137 of 14,518
Thank You very much for the education, Sincerely appreciated, I am definitely interested in the rabbit hole, but I'm gonna take my time in getting there! lol

I am quite aware I'm on a "Headphone Forum" but first and foremost I will listen to my tubes thru the DV as a pre-amp, most of the time as I am trying really hard to get farther into the headphone Lifestyle, That's a long story a difficult for me to explain in an open forum, maybe one day.

Glad to help with suggestions (and of course, my own opinion, FWIW) anytime. I enjoy both the big rig and the headphone rig equally. Domestic considerations limit my ability to listen to the big rig at times the way I want to (you know, at 100+ dB levels :grimacing:) which is when I turn to the HP rig to get my music fix. I've spent most of my audio life with full size systems, and only got into HP's a couple years ago. And I stumbled around clumsily at first until I finally put something together that was enjoyable and involving.

Many people have their opinions very strong on both so I don't wanna get into that circle, I'm sure we are all here because of our passion for great sound and music on general. But I have had people tell me you can't hear a difference using "Tubes" or Buffers or whatever in a speaker based system. They are wrong and I know it but sometimes theres no point,lol

True that. Hard to reason with people that already have their mind made up. And to those folks all I can say is to each his own, but if you can't hear a difference between a 300B-based SET tube amp and a solid state whatever amp, then your time is much better spent with some other hobby. :grinning::grinning:

Oct 16, 2020 at 2:03 AM Post #4,138 of 14,518
So here is an interesting pic from an ebay auction for two western electric 421a. I find it interesting because the tubes are clearly different in the getter (and other areas) due to manufacturing date. Unless something funky is going on, this is a pretty clear indication of differing types.

s-l1600.jpg

Oct 16, 2020 at 2:58 AM Post #4,139 of 14,518
Tung-Sol VT-163 6C8G
So here is an interesting pic from an ebay auction for two western electric 421a. I find it interesting because the tubes are clearly different in the getter (and other areas) due to manufacturing date. Unless something funky is going on, this is a pretty clear indication of differing types.

s-l1600.jpg
Yes halo and D getter.. what is the asking price of this mixed pair? I am surprised by the attraction that this brand name pulls in... I myself love finding a mix of power and output tubes that sound incredible.. for a bargain. It is apart of the fun for me.

Oct 16, 2020 at 3:33 AM Post #4,140 of 14,518
Tung-Sol VT-163 JAN-CTL-6C8G (round black plates) NOS 100%+
Okay, so the 6C8G works very well on the Darkvoice and is definitely a new favorite. :gs1000smile:
I have been waiting for a Tung-Sol VT-99 6F8G to show up at a reasonable price, but no luck as of yet. This 6C8G will sound the same, yet on paper it has more gain than the 6F8G, but still sounds so wonderful. It does not play well with my Tung-Sol 5998.. which for someone on a budget is a good thing. I expected the volume knob to be very sensitive with the 5998, but it wasn't that at all.. the sound was actually on the thin and gritty side.. it lacked depth and wasn't moving. Next up, my NOS 1950 RCA JAN-6AS7G black plates.. better but still pretty lifeless.

Now with my minty Edicron branded Svetlana "Winged C" 6H13C (NOS 1986), it shines! You can immediately hear that it's a very balanced combination. It was the first power tube I chose to demo this 6C8G on and looped back to it at the end. This has really shown what a difference the right combination can make.. The Svetlana has the low end power + accuracy and the Tung-Sol is extremely detailed. Every slight nuance of the instrument is revealed, sounds I did not notice before. This is probably the biggest surprise.. just how it brought out so much detail in songs I know so well. Nice lows, even on HD6XX, midrange is moving and powerful, high end is crisp but never fatiguing. The soundstage isn't so wide, not narrow but more in a realistic sense. The stereo separation is great. It's wonderfully musical.

Tracks like Joy Division - Decades (high treble range) do not destroy my hearing. Booka Shade - Body Language, this combo can fully produce the low, mid and high end with no problem. It's just quite balanced and energetic. I keep wanting to play track after track. I wish I could let you all hear it.. a Chatham 6080WA will arrive tomorrow and I am looking forward to hearing how that pairs. The pair of GEC L63s arriving soon have some real competition.

IMG_5805.JPG IMG_5813.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back