Darkvoice 336i & 336SE Tuberolling PartII
Nov 3, 2019 at 4:25 PM Post #2,597 of 14,511
I know its recommended for the 6SN7 tubes to be burned in for 72 hours but does that apply to the 6AS7 tubes as well? That seems like a recipe for overheating?
Good question for the 6as7 guys, and although I wouldn't leave a 6as7 tube on for 72 hours, a humming tube that I might end up throwing away? Yeah, I'd let it burn in good before going that route.

Last edited:
Nov 3, 2019 at 4:53 PM Post #2,598 of 14,511
That’s a long time for the amp to be powered on and while it would probably be fine, I wouldn’t recommend it until a last attempt. As I mentioned in my pm I would try some different inexpensive power tubes with different gains and see what that does, I’ve got some tubes that always hum together but don’t with different combinations.

Nov 3, 2019 at 8:23 PM Post #2,600 of 14,511
I know its recommended for the 6SN7 tubes to be burned in for 72 hours but does that apply to the 6AS7 tubes as well? That seems like a recipe for overheating?
Personally, I wouldn't burn in power tubes (6AS7, 421A, 5998, 6080, 7236, etc.) for that length of time unattended for safety reasons, which is why I never seen anyone recommend burning in power tubes outside of this thread. Strange that the OEM tubes that came with your unit exhibited hum unless you didn't burn in the OEM 6SN7 tube before. Did you check your signal chain? If you are using a DAC or your motherboard, did you hook it up to another amp? Did you plug in your Darkvoice to another outlet? Is your source plugged into a different outlet from the Darkvoice (i.e. noise from ground loops).

Nov 3, 2019 at 10:43 PM Post #2,601 of 14,511
Did you check your signal chain? If you are using a DAC or your motherboard, did you hook it up to another amp? Did you plug in your Darkvoice to another outlet? Is your source plugged into a different outlet from the Darkvoice (i.e. noise from ground loops).

I have a Schiit MODI 2 as my DAC and I use a RCA splitter from out RCA out to feed the Darkvoice and a Schiit Magni. When I plug the headphones(Senn HD6xx) to the Magni, I get no hum and it is clear. I tried my Audeze LCD-2Cs as well and got the hum on the DV but not on the Magni.

The DV is plugged directly into the wall and is separate from the power strip for the Magni/Laptop.

At this point I think I have one of three options:

1. Try the 72 hr burn-in process with the tubes I have (Tung Sols; 6SN7GTB and 5998)
2. Get a different 6AS7 or 6080 power tube
3. Try the Fitz mod which would probably be my last resort.

Nov 3, 2019 at 11:26 PM Post #2,602 of 14,511
I have a Schiit MODI 2 as my DAC and I use a RCA splitter from out RCA out to feed the Darkvoice and a Schiit Magni. When I plug the headphones(Senn HD6xx) to the Magni, I get no hum and it is clear. I tried my Audeze LCD-2Cs as well and got the hum on the DV but not on the Magni.

The DV is plugged directly into the wall and is separate from the power strip for the Magni/Laptop.

At this point I think I have one of three options:

1. Try the 72 hr burn-in process with the tubes I have (Tung Sols; 6SN7GTB and 5998)
2. Get a different 6AS7 or 6080 power tube
3. Try the Fitz mod which would probably be my last resort.
I would do 2 and 3 in that order. As for 2, RCA 6080's are cheap and plentiful, so I would go with that it you just want to test only. Or, if you want a solid backup to your 5998, then there's Tung-Sol 7236's.. As for 1, I wouldn't burn-in a power tube and leave this amp unattended unless you have fire insurance :wink:. Anyways, if you did the Fitz mod and still hear noise, then it is likely you have busted power tube. In my case, when I heard static (not a hum) on my modded DV, I quickly found out that it was a NOS RCA grey glass 6SN7 that I picked up for a song. The arc'ing when turning the volume up and down was cool to watch but I quickly discarded that bum 6SN7.

Nov 3, 2019 at 11:35 PM Post #2,603 of 14,511
I would do 2 and 3 in that order. As for 2, RCA 6080's are cheap and plentiful, so I would go with that it you just want to test only. Or, if you want a solid backup to your 5998, then there's Tung-Sol 7236's.. As for 1, I wouldn't burn-in a power tube and leave this amp unattended unless you have fire insurance :wink:. Anyways, if you did the Fitz mod and still hear noise, then it is likely you have busted power tube.

Yes, I think I will get a cheap power tube to test. I have the OEM 6SN7 and swapping it in didn't take the hum out so I suspect it's the power tube.
Definitely, wasn't planning to burn in the power tube. Seems like a recipe for burning down the house. :p

Nov 4, 2019 at 11:24 AM Post #2,605 of 14,511
I used the DV for around 5 hours yesterday and the hum is now considerably reduced. So maybe the burn-in is probably the best option here.
And if you change your mind the offer is still up for me to test that out for you. My tests last for a year or so ... :D

Nov 5, 2019 at 2:07 PM Post #2,609 of 14,511
toufeeq,
the Fitzmod should have been your the first thing to do. I get the feeling that a lot of you don't want to get into soldering. The Fitz mod is not hard at all and there are lots of visuals to look at at on You Tube. You would be surprised how buying a decent solder station can save you lots of money used to remedy non audio problems.

The one small sweet spot - use resistors to attenuate the pot/get rid of the pot and install a 50K Alps Blue transforming the sound by shunting the pot with Z foil resistors, take a look at www.world-designs.co.uk FAQ section, very clear instructions, do not use an Alps Blue by itself - you will be disappointed/buy one of Valab 23 step attenuators around $20. Get rid of the hum and open up the D/V with one of the pot options - then you will know just what the D/V is capable of.

Nov 5, 2019 at 11:55 PM Post #2,610 of 14,511
toufeeq,
the Fitzmod should have been your the first thing to do. I get the feeling that a lot of you don't want to get into soldering. The Fitz mod is not hard at all and there are lots of visuals to look at at on You Tube. You would be surprised how buying a decent solder station can save you lots of money used to remedy non audio problems.

The one small sweet spot - use resistors to attenuate the pot/get rid of the pot and install a 50K Alps Blue transforming the sound by shunting the pot with Z foil resistors, take a look at www.world-designs.co.uk FAQ section, very clear instructions, do not use an Alps Blue by itself - you will be disappointed/buy one of Valab 23 step attenuators around $20. Get rid of the hum and open up the D/V with one of the pot options - then you will know just what the D/V is capable of.

Thank You. I have done soldering in the past so I can definitely do it. The real problem is that there are no real good instructions on doing the Fitz mod online. There are bunch of threads on Head-fi and some pics on Google Images. Everyone seems to be talking about this mythical process but nobody actually has instructions on doing it. Just for that I'm tempted to put together a HOWTO on this if I can kinda piece together all the info.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back