Darkvoice 336i & 336SE Tuberolling PartII
Mar 17, 2017 at 3:12 PM Post #1,276 of 14,543
Well today I tried every combo possible. Right off the bat I tried my treasure tube for preamp as my power tube and it threw the imaging waaaaaay off. Like there was no crossfeed at all. Couldn't listen to it very long. Immediately put the treasure back in the 6sn7 socket and it cleared thing up. The sylvania 6080 can work for non complex passages and has an overly airy presentation with extra reverb, good details and the midbass punch is amazingly powerful but it's just too messy for me. The stock tube with the treasure is actually quite pleasing to me. The right amount of body air and texture and dynamics to keep the organic nature of the tube sound. Definitely not too gooey like I've read someone say about the darkvoice . It's very pleasing. I've got a tungsol 6080 coming tomorrow that is untested so don't know if it'll even work but if it does will let you know

Mar 18, 2017 at 2:57 AM Post #1,278 of 14,543
   I have bought and tried many 6080/6AS7G tubes including the holy grail GEC 6AS7G and  I wish somebody would have told me this from the beginning: you can install a 6SN7 tube in the 6AS7 pot with no problem whatsoever except for the volume decreasing a bit, It will sound better than any of the best 6AS7G tube you can buy,  no one seems to admit it but 6AS7G tube were never made for audio or for precision...

Well, I tried it today quickly and I can't say I was impressed with the results. There was some loss of low end but worse the sound became grainier. This was a preamp usage. Popped back in my RCA JAN 6AS7, all is back to normal, punchy bass and smooth treble. The good news there was no smoke. YMMV.

Mar 18, 2017 at 4:38 AM Post #1,279 of 14,543

Well, I tried it today quickly and I can't say I was impressed with the results. There was some loss of low end but worse the sound became grainier. This was a preamp usage. Popped back in my RCA JAN 6AS7, all is back to normal, punchy bass and smooth treble. The good news there was no smoke. YMMV.

Yes I agree. 6SN7 front and back results in a thin sound. Done that, tried that both in DV336se and Elise. 6AS7 or 6080 as power tubes is my preferred option. 

Mar 18, 2017 at 12:15 PM Post #1,281 of 14,543
I bought it from my 2 hr away most local speaker shop. I knew I was going to overpay especially when you can always get stuff on eBay much cheaper but I like giving them my business to an extent because I go there to audition stuff. Funny enough I asked if I was going to be able to get on online and buy one for $40 because I don't like being completely ripped off either. He said no he doesn't think so. I got home and found them for $60 new on eBay so not too far off I suppose. once this other tube gets here today and I get the rig warmed up I'll do a direct comparison of the stock one and see what the differences are and whether I think it merits the upgrade.

Mar 18, 2017 at 12:17 PM Post #1,282 of 14,543
Also if anyone wants to just try a sylvania 6080, I've got two I will give one to two different people for free if they pay for shipping.

Mar 18, 2017 at 3:07 PM Post #1,283 of 14,543
Good news is the tung sol works with a slight hiss without music. Not noticeable when playing. Bad news, there isn't any lol. It sounds fantastic. Much more detailed and much more body everywhere. It's just fatter sounding all together which would be a bad thing if it didn't have more detail and better dynamics. i say this because the soundstage is filled up more with textures and less of a background so it can seem less visual but ultimately it's more pleasing.

Mar 22, 2017 at 4:15 PM Post #1,284 of 14,543
Alright guys I've come to the conclusion that the shu guang is definitely worth buying. what I've found is that the original pre amp tube is constricting the quality and true representation of the amplifier tube. What I'm saying is that when I put the shuguang in, I noticed how much better or worse the other amplifier tubes were. It really allowed the better tubes to shine where they are best.

Mar 22, 2017 at 8:51 PM Post #1,285 of 14,543
Alright guys I've come to the conclusion that the shu guang is definitely worth buying. what I've found is that the original pre amp tube is constricting the quality and true representation of the amplifier tube. What I'm saying is that when I put the shuguang in, I noticed how much better or worse the other amplifier tubes were. It really allowed the better tubes to shine where they are best.

That's way too many words to describe that stock tubes in DV are crap.

Mar 23, 2017 at 10:18 AM Post #1,286 of 14,543
It wasn't just saying the stock are crap though. I wanted to emphasize the shu guang ability to really open up any driver tubes cabilities rather than make people think that it had its own sound or flavor if you will.

Mar 27, 2017 at 8:16 PM Post #1,287 of 14,543
So... I managed to hush my wife up about how much the DV336SE cost to run

got out my energy usage meter thing .. DV336SE (at least mine) used about 59~watts 

even living in SoCal with pretty high electric rates $0.17kWh the DV would use ~14.4kWh running it 8hrs a day 30 days a month.. which would cost a whopping $2.45 a month...  I doubt most people are using their DV's 8hrs a day.. mine is probably on 2~4hrs a day which is more like $1.22 a month..

money well spent..

whatever if anyone wants to calc the cost of a given appliance and you know how many watts it uses.. you can calculate it here

https://energy.gov/energysaver/estimating-appliance-and-home-electronic-energy-use

Mar 31, 2017 at 3:52 PM Post #1,289 of 14,543
I purchased a 336 SE from the forums a week or so ago.  RCA 6AS7 in power position and ran through several 6SN7s as pre tubes.  Out of around 15 6SN7s I found 7 with no or almost no noise.

Paired a RCA JAN 6SN7 with the RCA 6AS7 and enjoyed the results.  I am primarily listening to a Beyerdynamic T90 with this system.

Source is iPod Gen 7 ( ALAC ) > Cambridge Digital Dock D100 > Coax > Bifrost Multibit > DV 336 SE > T90.

Today I tried an adapter and a Sylvania 6F8G.  Totally silent.

I will need more time, first impressions are very good.  This combo will stay in place for a while :)

JMTC,

r2

Apr 2, 2017 at 10:12 AM Post #1,290 of 14,543

I minimize noise by using this below picture.
The end part of rca cables was covered by alu tape and the tape contact to the ring of rca jack.
Mostly zero noise at maximum gain when nothing connect to 3.5mm poles of the cable. The cable was 1.5m long and put on wall or ground.... any surface.
Not zero noise but much much better than before implement the tape.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back