Darkvoice 336i & 336SE Tuberolling PartII
Jun 24, 2017 at 9:05 AM Post #1,322 of 14,509
Thanks! So you said you much prefer Elise over Wa6 and wa2, but you only say you much prefer Euforia that LF339. So what do you think of Elise over 339, which has similar price range?
I also notice Euforia has the same circuit as Elise, just upgrade parts. How much improvement of Euforia over Elise?
Thanks

This will be off topic but I will do this only this once.

Firstly, one can't assume that Euforia and Elise have the same circuit. Circuit design differences are only known to the manufacturer. They are not identical in tone that's for sure. Euforia plays at several leagues above Elise. Obviously the new caps, resistors, sockets, silver wiring, circuit changes and tuning plays a big part.

It would be hard to be objective when comparing Elise and LF339. They are quite different in tone. 339 is harder hitting and more forceful. Takes warmer tubes to tame it with more warm and lushness. Which is why I couldn't understand over impressions that 339 is warm and lush. It is not. It has that metallic shine. Elise on the other hand sounded more refined and has more tube amp warm lushness. Both have good speed and fast transient response. Don't get me wrong. 339's metallic shine is actually very appealing. There's energy there and an upbeat tempo. Other differences are that 339 has a wider soundstage and more bass weight.

Euforia has a rich harmonic texture that conveys a classy tone, that is euphonic and holographic. The richness is very captivating. I like it a lot.

So in terms of preference, it's Euforia first, with Elise and La Figaro 339 tied for 2nd spot. As I said, Elise and LF339 are quite different voicing. One could like one or the other, depending on what your preference are.

One minor drawback on the 339 is that the amp runs very hot and the chassis is quite crude. The Feliks Audio amps are better constructed visually and it shows in the external feel and design.

20170624_222959.jpg

Ps.... there no doubt that Euforia sounded better with HD800 than La Figaro 339.

With Euforia, HD800 sound natural, without fatigue. LF 339 with HD800 sound harder on the ears.

Even Elise pair better with HD800 than La Figaro.

HD650 though suits LF339 more. You gets the idea there? From this, you can suss out the tone of these amps.

Last edited:
Jun 24, 2017 at 7:38 PM Post #1,323 of 14,509
This will be off topic but I will do this only this once.

Ps.... there no doubt that Euforia sounded better with HD800 than La Figaro 339.

With Euforia, HD800 sound natural, without fatigue. LF 339 with HD800 sound harder on the ears.

Even Elise pair better with HD800 than La Figaro.

HD650 though suits LF339 more. You gets the idea there? From this, you can suss out the tone of these amps.

Thank you so very much, UT!

Jun 24, 2017 at 9:45 PM Post #1,325 of 14,509
My pleasure... now go and buy a Euforia or Elise or La Figaro 339.

If you're unsure, just toss a coin. Heads it's Euforia, Tails it's La Figaro 339. If it lands in the middle, you know that Elise is meant for you.

Hahaha:darthsmile:
Euforia is too expensive. I have no desiring to invest a HD800/S. For HD600, which one do you think better, 339 or Elise? You said 339 Has larger soundstage. So how about imaging, separation, and holographic sound? On Taobao, I saw two models of 339. One is silver, seems like yours and another is black. Black is an upgraded version, about $200 more than silver version (only $600 on Taobao). This version might be better than the original Elise.
Thank you!

Jun 24, 2017 at 10:04 PM Post #1,326 of 14,509
Hahaha:darthsmile:
Euforia is too expensive. I have no desiring to invest a HD800/S. For HD600, which one do you think better, 339 or Elise? You said 339 Has larger soundstage. So how about imaging, separation, and holographic sound? On Taobao, I saw two models of 339. One is silver, seems like yours and another is black. Black is an upgraded version, about $200 more than silver version (only $600 on Taobao). This version might be better than the original Elise.
Thank you!

You know I'm an Elise fan but you're pushing more for an opinion. :imp:

However I'm an honest man and you seemed an honest man too, so you will get an honest answer. How's that? :wink:

I'm more a fan of HD650 than HD600. So my answer is based on your getting a HD650.

If it's a HD650, get the La Figaro 339. Very few amps, whether ss or tube amps scale HD650 as much as LF339 does. Now Elise with HD650 or HD600 is very good too. Too good in fact but I just think that La Figaro 339 is exceptional when it comes to HD650. Seriously I am amazed that the LF339 isn't as well known as she should be and for a street price of $750 straight from the manufacturer, Yuking.

Certainly buy straight from Yuking and get the adapters for EF86 too. For tubes just get a pair of Mullard EF86 and RCA 6as7g. That's all you need. You can tube roll later.

Certainly get the upgrade 2013 onwards model. Silver or black is your choice. Also IMO, choose the 1st set of tubes, which is the clearer tubes. The 2nd set of tubes are warmer and might be a better match for your HD600.

As I said before, Elise and La figaro 339 are voiced differently. Deciding which I like better is very difficult. Today I might tell you I like LF339 better. Tomorrow I might tell you Elise is better. Now you know why I ask you to toss a coin.

If you are in Sydney, Australia, you can come for an audition. :yum:

Jun 24, 2017 at 10:28 PM Post #1,327 of 14,509
Elise is more refined, liquid and shines in the top end. She's more linear and does not emphasise any part of the FR. La Figaro 339 has more slam definitely, more brute power, amazing soundstage and bass weight is very gratifying.

Both are very revealing and holographic. It's hard not to love tube amp sound at this level and I doubt you'll need more.

Last edited:
Jun 24, 2017 at 10:41 PM Post #1,328 of 14,509
You know I'm an Elise fan but you're pushing more for an opinion. :imp:

However I'm an honest man and you seemed an honest man too, so you will get an honest answer. How's that? :wink:

I'm more a fan of HD650 than HD600. So my answer is based on your getting a HD650.

If it's a HD650, get the La Figaro 339. Very few amps, whether ss or tube amps scale HD650 as much as LF339 does. Now Elise with HD650 or HD600 is very good too. Too good in fact but I just think that La Figaro 339 is exceptional when it comes to HD650. Seriously I am amazed that the LF339 isn't as well known as she should be and for a street price of $750 straight from the manufacturer, Yuking.

Certainly buy straight from Yuking and get the adapters for EF86 too. For tubes just get a pair of Mullard EF86 and RCA 6as7g. That's all you need. You can tube roll later.

Certainly get the upgrade 2013 onwards model. Silver or black is your choice. Also IMO, choose the 1st set of tubes, which is the clearer tubes. The 2nd set of tubes are warmer and might be a better match for your HD600.

As I said before, Elise and La figaro 339 are voiced differently. Deciding which I like better is very difficult. Today I might tell you I like LF339 better. Tomorrow I might tell you Elise is better. Now you know why I ask you to toss a coin.

If you are in Sydney, Australia, you can come for an audition. :yum:

Haha:beyersmile:
Thank you very much, UT!!:beerchug:
I think I'll go for a 339! I can buy it in China and bring back to US. Extra $100 is shipping for sure.
Also thanks for the suggestion of tubes!

Jun 24, 2017 at 10:50 PM Post #1,329 of 14,509
For your eyes only....

This EF86 adapters are not from Yuking. His are much nicer. So get his adapter.

Here I am using Mullard EF86 and RCA 6AS7G. The sound is gorgeous. Sooooooo goooooood....... on my modified HD650.

20170625_083331.jpg

Jun 27, 2017 at 6:07 PM Post #1,335 of 14,509
Ill be buying a 336se soon. I want the best tubes i can buy, i want them to make my music smoother, warmer, a bit more musical and "tubey" in general. What tubes should i look at buying?

You don't want to know because the best tubes I'll be recommending will be expensive.

However, there are less expensive options. Just get a RCA 6as7g and a Tung Sol 6sn7gtb 1960s black base. They shouldn't cost that much.

These are the Tung Sol drivers
s-l1600 (25).jpg

and the RCA power tubes
s-l1600 (33).jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back