Darkvoice 336i & 336SE Tuberolling PartII
Feb 19, 2022 at 6:30 PM Post #12,976 of 14,543
lm f a o .. oh wow... that thing is still floAting out there!? I have a feeling one day.... your gonna have a box front of your door step.
Yup. I got my money refunded a long time ago, so if it lands here at some point I'll have to tell the Post Office to come pick it up. It'll be hilarious to see how many years that takes, and I'll most certainly have worn it out by then. 🤣

Feb 19, 2022 at 6:33 PM Post #12,977 of 14,543
We understand that you have a strange appetite-----.
My appetite is quite normal, it's the rest of me that's strange. Weird, huh? 😝

Feb 19, 2022 at 7:03 PM Post #12,978 of 14,543
Today's roll. The ST bottle Tung Sol 6J5's (thanks @therremans ) are a pretty big step up from the straight bottle versions. The harmonic detail in the midrange is otherworldly. The Melz is more extended up top and has more punch and dynamics in the upper bass, but the mids from these 6J5's is why we do tubes. :laughing:

6J5 ST Tung Sols and TS 5998 in Incubus.jpg

Feb 20, 2022 at 8:36 AM Post #12,979 of 14,543
Today's roll. The ST bottle Tung Sol 6J5's (thanks @therremans ) are a pretty big step up from the straight bottle versions. The harmonic detail in the midrange is otherworldly. The Melz is more extended up top and has more punch and dynamics in the upper bass, but the mids from these 6J5's is why we do tubes. :laughing:

6J5 ST Tung Sols and TS 5998 in Incubus.jpg

These Tung-Sol 6j5g are wonderful.

They also match very well with the Chatham 6as7g.

On Darkvoice it is very good.

I have yet to try them on Crack.

I could say the TS 6j5g is my second favorite along with Fivre 6c5g.

But my favorite valve of all is without a doubt the GEC l63 (Grey Coke Bottle).

Feb 20, 2022 at 12:11 PM Post #12,980 of 14,543
I understand what a matched pair means.. but what is a “platinum matched” pair. It’s seems to be a very common term sellers use, there are pages of listings with that term.

Feb 20, 2022 at 12:14 PM Post #12,981 of 14,543
Varies by seller, but a seller I've purchased from in the past states their 'Platinum Matched' means 5% or less variance in measurement between the tubes where 'Matched' is between 5 and 10%.

Last edited:
Feb 20, 2022 at 12:48 PM Post #12,982 of 14,543
I understand what a matched pair means.. but what is a “platinum matched” pair. It’s seems to be a very common term sellers use, there are pages of listings with that term.
I've heard the same thing as @Ripper2860 , but IMO it's nothing more than a sales gimmick. Just like tacking on 'Bad Boy" this or that to every 6SN7 tube. My favorite though is the seller that lists every tube as 'refurbished.' To refurbish a tube you'd have to cut it open, replace the coating on the cathode, add some fresh getter material, pull a new vacuum, reseal it somehow, flash the new getter, and then test it. Seems like a lot of work for $30 tubes, but what do I know. :laughing:

Feb 20, 2022 at 12:51 PM Post #12,983 of 14,543
+1 to sales gimmick. Besides -- why would one need a 'matched pair' for a single driver and power tube amp like the DV336? :rolling_eyes:

(Maybe a single triode pair of tubes w/ adapter? Even so, 10% variance should be fine with any amp -- especially one that has auto-bias worth its salt.)

Last edited:
Feb 20, 2022 at 12:59 PM Post #12,984 of 14,543

It aims to really make you feel better about giving them more (extra) money! 5% more accuracy, for an extra 10-15% more fee.

Feb 20, 2022 at 6:22 PM Post #12,985 of 14,543
'Platinum Matched' means 5% or less variance in measurement between the tubes where 'Matched' is between 5 and 10%.
In my experience the matching process for anything mechanical (beyond tubes) is pretty simple:

1. Test your entire sample and write down the values, weights, or relevant factors for matching.
2. Sort them from high to low using the key factor.
3. Create pairs by stepping down the list to thereby minimize differences along the way. Tubes sellers tend to charge the most of the highest scoring pairs, but other products just match on weight, length, size but have no specific price advantage.

This process does indeed improve consistency where it matters. I doubt less than 10% differences could be reliably heard, as headphone drivers and volume pots also suffer from imbalances. And many of us have different hearing potentials for each ear. It'd likely matter if tube, pot, and driver were all biased in one direction.

Feb 20, 2022 at 7:44 PM Post #12,987 of 14,543
I'm gonna be selling "Refurbished Platinum Matched" tubes in a minute...:beyersmile:
LOL! Just be sure they are guaranteed's to's sound's excellent's in's our's gear's. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Feb 20, 2022 at 7:51 PM Post #12,988 of 14,543
Don't forget to state that they test's strong but provide no measurements.😏

Last edited:
Feb 20, 2022 at 8:22 PM Post #12,990 of 14,543
I've heard the same thing as @Ripper2860 , but IMO it's nothing more than a sales gimmick. Just like tacking on 'Bad Boy" this or that to every 6SN7 tube. My favorite though is the seller that lists every tube as 'refurbished.' To refurbish a tube you'd have to cut it open, replace the coating on the cathode, add some fresh getter material, pull a new vacuum, reseal it somehow, flash the new getter, and then test it. Seems like a lot of work for $30 tubes, but what do I know. :laughing:
What is refurbished is the silkscreen…😏

Users who are viewing this thread

Back