Darkvoice 336i & 336SE Tuberolling PartII
May 6, 2021 at 1:00 PM Post #10,366 of 14,518
After about 50 hours of play, the KEN-RAD slowly becomes quiet!
:)

IMG_1490.jpg
Seems the DV got a full face job with the pot and balanced output.
Normally Tube amps are not balance friendly technically.

May 6, 2021 at 1:25 PM Post #10,367 of 14,518
Seems the DV got a full face job with the pot and balanced output.
Normally Tube amps are not balance friendly technically.
Is the thing about tube amps something you read somewhere?

Oh and I just got a GE 5998A from the gentleman with a bunch for sale and this one seems perfect so far. He even wrote me a nice thank you note and included food items in the box lol. I do not recall if FLTWS actually used my real name when he complained about his two tubes but that could have been lol.

May 6, 2021 at 1:32 PM Post #10,368 of 14,518

Oh and I just got a GE 5998A from the gentleman with a bunch for sale and this one seems perfect so far. He even wrote me a nice thank you note and included food items in the box lol. I do not recall if FLTWS actually used my real name when he complained about his two tubes but that could have been lol.
I may be wrong but from what I know, SET amps are mostly single ended so they cannot process separate inverted and non-inverted signal components since there is only one signal path. OTL could be different but it's rare to encounter balanced XLR input or balanced outputs even on the most expensive amps but I could be wrong ☹
Even with amps having parallel single architecture with dual power and dual output tubes, did not see any with balanced in and out.
Hybrid amps with balanced in and outs do exist big time though.

Last edited:
May 6, 2021 at 1:38 PM Post #10,369 of 14,518
May 6, 2021 at 1:45 PM Post #10,370 of 14,518
6080 GE 5 star vintage 1960ies production, D-getter.

:)
Oh ok, how are you liking that tube? I have to admit I have not tried the GE 6080.

And of course I could be dead wrong about the Ken-Rad but the last time someone said a series of tubes took 100 hours to settle in I looked into it and ran experiments. It was the solder in that case but they were Russian tubes.

May 6, 2021 at 1:47 PM Post #10,371 of 14,518
I told him about 1578's a long time ago, but apparently he does not see many of them. Occasionally a Russian seller will come on Ebay.

Now the interesting thing is, I do not see many here in the states who own the Melz trying to sell them as used. To sell them at retail is not easy since the price can be so high from the Russians.
There's currently a Russian seller (well, Ukranian to be exact) posting on Etsy as well. Have the ones below incoming (these are NOT for the DV...they aren't 6SN7 subs).

He's not currently listing any Melz, but @HTSkywalker it may be worth a message to him to check if he has any (if you have any interest).

https://www.etsy.com/shop/VintageVacuumTube?ref=l2-about-shopname

1620323063255.png

May 6, 2021 at 1:50 PM Post #10,372 of 14,518
May 6, 2021 at 1:51 PM Post #10,373 of 14,518
And of course I could be dead wrong about the Ken-Rad but the last time someone said a series of tubes took 100 hours to settle in I looked into it and ran experiments.

That guy must have been a real idiot. :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

May 6, 2021 at 2:24 PM Post #10,375 of 14,518
Oh ok, how are you liking that tube? I have to admit I have not tried the GE 6080.
It's hard to say, at the moment I've just changed everything: headphones, DAC, tubes.
I think I need a little more time. :)

And of course I could be dead wrong about the Ken-Rad but the last time someone said a series of tubes took 100 hours to settle in I looked into it and ran experiments. It was the solder in that case but they were Russian tubes.
When I first installed the KEN-RAD, an incredibly loud hum was heard over the music.
When I touched the body of the DV, it got worse, even if I just knocked the table the DV was on!

Now I can't hear any hum, knock on the table, or touch the device, and nothing happens.
The humming is only there when I turn the volume down , and the music is off.

How are you liking that 5-Star series? I've always hear this is GE's version of Sylvania's Gold Brand series. How does it sound?
Please see what I wrote above :)

May 6, 2021 at 2:35 PM Post #10,376 of 14,518
There's currently a Russian seller (well, Ukranian to be exact) posting on Etsy as well. Have the ones below incoming (these are NOT for the DV...they aren't 6SN7 subs).

He's not currently listing any Melz, but @HTSkywalker it may be worth a message to him to check if he has any (if you have any interest).

https://www.etsy.com/shop/VintageVacuumTube?ref=l2-about-shopname

1620323063255.png

This is a 12AU7 equivalent right? Speaking of Sylvania GBs - this reminds so much of the the Syl Triple Mica 5814 - which are are really top notch sounding. I didn't know russians also did the red tip thing.

May 6, 2021 at 2:42 PM Post #10,377 of 14,518
Last edited:
May 6, 2021 at 2:48 PM Post #10,378 of 14,518

Haha...Did you get the apple sauce? Or Cliff bar? I didn't trust the food stuff and threw it out...

May 6, 2021 at 2:53 PM Post #10,379 of 14,518

I bought mine from the same gent. Got a Cliff Bar and Apple Sauce pack along with a very well packaged 5998A! :D

** I ate it and am still among the living.

Last edited:
May 6, 2021 at 3:13 PM Post #10,380 of 14,518
I got both as well lol, maybe he got those from the same warehouse that held the tubes lol. I just hope they are newer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back