Darkvoice 336i & 336SE Tuberolling PartII
Dec 25, 2020 at 1:27 PM Post #5,521 of 14,518
Wowzers, 211s in push-pull, that is a beastly set of monos. Could always grab the oven mitts for tube rolling :) not that I have ever done it.....

Yeah, beastly and heavy. 100 watts/side in pure Class A triode. But even with NOS RCA 211's (VT-4C's) and '50's Western Electric 300B's in place they were probably my least favorite of all the Cary amps I've owned (or had on loan). Lots of power, just no magic.

By the way for the DV modders, I offered this to @bcowen some time ago, if anyone wanted to try a CCS load on the driver tube, for the cost of parts and shipping (and when I have some free time), I'd be happy to provide a set of boards ready to go. Would probably also suggest rebiasing the 6SN7 as well, which would just mean altering the value of the 1K cathode resistor. Question again is where the boards will fit, and some holes would need to be made in the chassis to mount the PCBs on standoffs.

A very gracious offer and sincerely appreciated. I'm just not sure I have the technical expertise to know how to wire them in without blowing something up in the process. Perhaps @therremans has the requisitely sized cojones to attempt it? :grin:

Dec 25, 2020 at 1:28 PM Post #5,522 of 14,518
giphy.gif

Merry Christmas, scruffy. :sweat_smile::sweat_smile:

Dec 25, 2020 at 1:30 PM Post #5,523 of 14,518
Speaking of transmitting triodes, in addition to those 3C24 tubes I mentioned in my thread, I picked up their bigger brother, the HK54. Not bad for $65! I was the only bidder, guess no one else wants these PITA tubes 😂

s-l1600 (1).jpg

Or perhaps nobody else knew what they were. Which would include me, up until now. LOL!

Dec 25, 2020 at 1:38 PM Post #5,524 of 14,518
Yeah, beastly and heavy. 100 watts/side in pure Class A triode. But even with NOS RCA 211's (VT-4C's) and '50's Western Electric 300B's in place they were probably my least favorite of all the Cary amps I've owned (or had on loan). Lots of power, just no magic.

Holy crap that is some serious glass!!! Do you still have those tubes? Worth a fortune, probably more as much as the monos themselves.

A very gracious offer and sincerely appreciated. I'm just not sure I have the technical expertise to know how to wire them in without blowing something up in the process. Perhaps @therremans has the requisitely sized cojones to attempt it? :grin:

No worries, for some reason I have gotten modding fever since I subbed to this thread. Apologies for barging in uninvited, but I think I will see if I can find a used DV on the classifieds and mod it myself, then maybe if others want, I can do it for them :)

Dec 25, 2020 at 1:40 PM Post #5,525 of 14,518
Or perhaps nobody else knew what they were. Which would include me, up until now. LOL!

And that is totally possible too, these are some seriously oddball tubes lol.

Dec 25, 2020 at 1:41 PM Post #5,526 of 14,518

Thank you, I’m down to give this a shot @L0rdGwyn, let me know the details when you have the free time. I will be breaking down my Darkvoice soon for the power cap replacements and all new wire. I was really thinking last night on how I can get the resistors off of the socket and onto a small pcb with a rail. I have something envisioned but I just don’t know that it will fit. Does anyone know good self tapping pcb standoffs? Or at minimum a stand-off that will securely screw into a pre-drilled hole and stay put. Maybe the ccs load is the answer?

Dec 25, 2020 at 2:01 PM Post #5,527 of 14,518
What's happening here? It's 5:57am here. I came on here to the DV336se tube rolling thread and I see turkey talks. It's a strange world post Coivd-19.

Anyway I think this is a good excuse to talk 2 channel stereo with @bcowen because he sound pretty ancient, as ancient as the Cary amp. Ancient but nice. :slight_smile:

Dec 25, 2020 at 2:11 PM Post #5,528 of 14,518
My collection of 5998. Still have them.

2020-12-08 18.15.56.jpg Have a few here, 6520's (that are really 5998) Chatham and a 421a

Then DV336se left and that's the start of the arrival of the monster amps. I had 4 headphones then. Eikon, Atticus, HD800 and LCD-2f.

My amps were Glenn OTL amp, Ragnarok and Canon solid state amp. That Canon is the best.

All right folks. Time for me to shower and start my Christmas day. Have a good day all !

Canon!?

Oh one more before I crave up the turkey...

In all my photos of my tube amps, somehow this turns out to be the best. The humble DV336se turn out to be the best shot. That says something. :wink:

Mouse ears are nice..like em. :)

Hey all, Just wanted to say Merry Christmas to all of you!!

And again thanks for the continued reading, learning, and especially laughter!!
And to you as well. Hope you have a great holiday!
1uf bypass caps:
Panasonic 400VDC 1.0uF 5% Film

1k, 1M, 30k all replaced:
Dale Vishay1k, 1M, 1W, .1%
Dale Vishay 30.1k, 1.5W, .1%

220uf cathode bypass caps:
Nichicon 25volts 220uF MUSE

Notes:
I was thinking that my stock resistors were likely holding back the amp’s potential. I also wanted to swap out my 100uf cathode bypass caps for the 220uf as I was told it’s the better choice (fitz mod). And then those 1uf power bypass caps, I read can improve deep bass extension.

There was a drastic improvement in the entire sound! Larger soundstage, much more defined separation, greatly increased bass extension, more impact, rumble and bass slam than ever before, much more powerful sound, more dynamic, notes are more resolving, much less distortion. High end is crisp and clean but never piercing. Some songs used to create a sonic mess (distortion and mud), but it now remains clear, defined and dynamic in those moments. Wow. I actually have much more of that 3D holographic thing people talk about.
:beerchug:

Tung-Sol 5998 / Ken-Rad VT-231

This is the best my DV has ever sounded and I am looking forward to rolling some tubes later.
Your a present day Frankenstein with that unit...nice job!

Last edited:
Dec 25, 2020 at 2:19 PM Post #5,529 of 14,518
Holy crap that is some serious glass!!! Do you still have those tubes? Worth a fortune, probably more as much as the monos themselves.

Unfortunately I sold the RCA's with the amps. I still have the WE's, and they're not going anywhere. :sweat_smile: Don't even have an amp that can use them at present (my Jota amp needs the high current 300B which are only made by KR and Emission Labs AFAIK). But the WE's still aren't going anywhere. LOL!

No worries, for some reason I have gotten modding fever since I subbed to this thread. Apologies for barging in uninvited, but I think I will see if I can find a used DV on the classifieds and mod it myself, then maybe if others want, I can do it for them :)

Barging in? Way not. Very happy you're here! I'm probably not the only person hangin' out here that knows which end of the soldering iron to hold and can swap parts all day long, but knowledge beyond that is, shall we say, somewhat limited? :joy:

Dec 25, 2020 at 2:24 PM Post #5,530 of 14,518
What's happening here? It's 5:57am here. I came on here to the DV336se tube rolling thread and I see turkey talks. It's a strange world post Coivd-19.

Anyway I think this is a good excuse to talk 2 channel stereo with @bcowen because he sound pretty ancient, as ancient as the Cary amp. Ancient but nice. :slight_smile:

We're having turkey for dinner. Honey Baked turkey. Kind of like a NOS Western Electric...stupid expensive, and worth it. :sweat_smile:

And yes, I'm ancient as well. :grin:

Dec 25, 2020 at 2:26 PM Post #5,531 of 14,518
Apologies for barging in uninvited

I barge, you barge, what's the difference? Didn't you see the sign on the door says 'Anyone welcome' :) and don't forget my amp. You're shortlisted as one of my custom amp builder for my last and final custom tube amp and that's an important role. It's like making the crown for the Queen. The other shortlisted amp builders I won't tell you. Got to keep amp builders apart.

Dec 25, 2020 at 2:30 PM Post #5,533 of 14,518
Thank you, I’m down to give this a shot @L0rdGwyn, let me know the details when you have the free time. I will be breaking down my Darkvoice soon for the power cap replacements and all new wire. I was really thinking last night on how I can get the resistors off of the socket and onto a small pcb with a rail. I have something envisioned but I just don’t know that it will fit. Does anyone know good self tapping pcb standoffs? Or at minimum a stand-off that will securely screw into a pre-drilled hole and stay put. Maybe the ccs load is the answer?

Yes, I will let you know. I've made a listing in the classifieds for a used DV 336SE, we'll see if I get any hits! Then I will mod it and make some better recommendations for you :)

Dec 25, 2020 at 2:33 PM Post #5,535 of 14,518
Can I come over pleaseeeee ? I'll bring salad.

The door is open, come on in! No need for the salad...but bring the stewardess please. :sweat_smile:

Just gettin' the big rig all warmed up for some Christmas organ music. Let's see what structural damage we can do to the house today... :joy:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back