Darkvoice 336i & 336SE Tuberolling PartII
Dec 22, 2020 at 10:31 AM Post #5,371 of 14,509
OK, but here's where I'm confused... the schematic for the shunt mod has the 3rd and 2nd sets of pins connected to ground with pin 1 having both input (through the resistors) and output soldered to it. Which is what I did.

11351907.png

Edit to add: I haven't really soldered the pot itself multiple times, I've resoldered the components away from the pot but it's been where it is since I initially popped it in there.

That diagram is correct for a shunted wiring scheme (middle sketch). The pic I showed is for an un-shunted wiring scheme (left sketch). So if you want to shunt, use the middle sketch. If you want to try it without shunting, then use the left sketch (which is what I tried to illustrate in the photo). My apologies for confusing things with the "wiper not connected to ground" comment...I was thinking only of the standard wiring connections with no shunts employed.

Last edited:
Dec 22, 2020 at 10:34 AM Post #5,372 of 14,509
I believe in multi tasking...I mean multi amp tube rolling. Here I am tube rolling all 3 amps simultaneously and busy jacking all my headphones at once. Time means money so I have to listen fast. Head-Fi in the fast lane. You hear me @HeatFan12 ?

875d1f96-0790-4c83-b931-1e4b0560f35d.JPG

If that's a beer refrigerator to the left of the rack, then I'm beyond completely in awe. :grin: :grin:

Dec 22, 2020 at 10:35 AM Post #5,373 of 14,509
That diagram is correct for a shunted wiring scheme (middle sketch). The pic I showed is for an un-shunted wiring scheme (left sketch). So if you want to shunt, use the middle sketch. If you want to try it without shunting, then use the left sketch (which is what I tried to illustrate in the photo). My apologies for confusing things with the "wiper not connected to ground" comment...I was thinking only of the standard wiring connections with no shunts employed).
No problem. I think I'll take your advice and order a 20k pot. I'll keep trying to troubleshoot the shunt mod in the interim, but I appear to have (perhaps) bitten off more than I can chew for a first-time pot mod. Now the right channel is out completely.

(This is why I work on computers, not with my hands)

Dec 22, 2020 at 10:38 AM Post #5,374 of 14,509
If that's a beer refrigerator to the left of the rack, then I'm beyond completely in awe. :grin: :grin:
Says the poster who lives in one of the beer meccas of America.

Dec 22, 2020 at 10:43 AM Post #5,375 of 14,509

Yes it's my mini bar.

Now HeatFan, this is the latest incarnation of the rack. In the short few years of tube amp rolling, it dawn on me that the La Figaro 339 is pretty good sounding, especially considering the price against the competition. Now if you will buy it off me so I can move on to the next tube amp. Believe me, with the Figaro you will have joy to no ends with tube rolling.

IMG_1488.jpg

Dec 22, 2020 at 10:48 AM Post #5,376 of 14,509
Says the poster who lives in one of the beer meccas of America.

LOL! Now all I need is a remote for the beer 'fridge. Trying to teach the cat to bring me a beer was an exercise in futility. :laughing:

Dec 22, 2020 at 10:50 AM Post #5,378 of 14,509
Does @bcowen own a whisky bar? Pray tell me where in America. I have to visit him immediately. :wink:
NC. Asheville is up there with Boston, Burlington VT, Austin, LA, SF and Portland, OR in terms of craft beer awesomeness.

Dec 22, 2020 at 10:51 AM Post #5,379 of 14,509
Dec 22, 2020 at 10:53 AM Post #5,381 of 14,509
NC. Asheville is up there with Boston, Burlington VT, Austin, LA, SF and Portland, OR in terms of craft beer awesomeness.

Jesus, I hope my GPS will lead me to NC Ashville. I haven't got a clue where it is. I'm like Crocodile Dundee visiting America for the first time.

Dec 22, 2020 at 10:57 AM Post #5,382 of 14,509
Not at all! We're just huddled up in the corner over here trying to determine the most respectful way to let you, um, veterans know that dual triode tubes are so...so...2008-ish. :grin: :grin:

Monster amps should also look like monster amps, no? :sweat_smile:

RCA 6L5's with Bendix graphite plate 6080:
6L5 in DV.jpg
What's the verdict on the 6L5?? 😍

Dec 22, 2020 at 10:58 AM Post #5,383 of 14,509
Hahaha. You are so right. So much has changed I feel like a rookie veteran. Have no idea what's going on.

I've only been into headphones for a couple years, as most of my audio life was with full size 2-channel systems. With some job and residence changes I took about a 10 year hiatus (remission?) from the craziness. When I left, $2k power cords were all the rage. When I came back, power cords were passe' and $200 fuses were the talk of the town . Seems the insanity remains somewhat consistent and only changes direction every now and then. :grin:

Dec 22, 2020 at 11:02 AM Post #5,384 of 14,509
What's the verdict on the 6L5?? 😍

Don't know yet. Giving them about 10 hours of play time before I listen. From the GM readings I got they appear to be genuinely new (as in unused). Have you received yours yet?

Dec 22, 2020 at 11:02 AM Post #5,385 of 14,509
No problem. I think I'll take your advice and order a 20k pot. I'll keep trying to troubleshoot the shunt mod in the interim, but I appear to have (perhaps) bitten off more than I can chew for a first-time pot mod. Now the right channel is out completely.

(This is why I work on computers, not with my hands)
Try again, but listen.. my first pot install was a 100k alps straight to a pcb board that I made. I remember having similar issues with one channel being always on. I played with the solder and pins too much to get a “good solder” and damaged the pot. This is when I stopped playing around with those cheap $5 soldering irons. I reinstalled a new 100k to a little pcb with minimal contact to the soldering iron and it went well. Sounded fine too. Noise floor was a little on the high side though.

So then I installed a 50k shunted and I may have even toasted one of those trying to remove it from a pcb that was too big? This is when I stopped playing around with those cheap solder suckers, however the alps is hard to desolder and probably best leaving it in a board. It was a lesson learned. It doesn’t feel good tossing a $15 pot.

In your case, I think it’s likely that the pot was damaged, try it again with cleaner connections, less solder or maybe scrap the shunt and wire it regularly. I have a 10k wired up normal and it sounds very good.

Next, I’m going for one of these pots at 10k value.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back