Darkvoice 336i & 336SE Tuberolling PartII
May 26, 2020 at 1:40 AM Post #3,316 of 14,501
I have a Mullard 6080 and like it quite a bit. Whether you'll like it I can't say.

The GE? If I hadn't just scored a pair of Chatham 6AS7G's I'd be jumping on that. GE's pretty much suck universally, at least the ones that were actually made by them. But (and a big but), the one you linked was made in 1945, the same year that GE acquired KenRad. While I can't guarantee it, with the black plates that tube was almost certainly made by KenRad before GE got settled in enough to muck everything up. I haven't heard one so I don't know how it sounds (and again I have no idea whether you'd like it), but early 40's KenRads are extremely desirable tubes regardless of the type.

I almost bought the GE but woah the shipping is $50! it is almost the price of the tube :sob: I think i'll go for the mullard....

May 26, 2020 at 7:04 AM Post #3,317 of 14,501
Are brimars any good?What is 1/2 6sn7gt? This is the first time I have heard of 1/2 :smile:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/6J5G-1-2-6...-England-Amplitrex-tested-819016/191772387495
Prior to dual triode tubes there were single triode tubes, that is one of them. With adapters two of them will replace a 6sn7, the gain is half what a 6sn7 would be so they match up very well and provide a bit better channel separation IMHO. Dual triode tubes have internal shielding to help prevent crosstalk. The loktal version is the 7A4. They are another reason I designed some amps for a 6sn7 equivalent tube challenge, I left enough room to conceal single triode tubes as well as some of the larger Chinese tubes.

IMG_0511.jpg

Last edited:
May 26, 2020 at 10:14 AM Post #3,318 of 14,501
Holy Price Shock!! What in the world.... Never heard of these... No.....no....no.... There goes my bank account :D

I have a pair that I paid a decent price for but not even close to the current asking price. I've swapped them multiple times with the Lansdale labeled Frankentube in both the Lyr 3 and Vali 2, and if there's any difference I don't have skilled enough ears to hear it. Pretty much identical sonically, at least to me. Only notable difference is that I paid $5 for the Lansdale. :)

May 26, 2020 at 10:18 AM Post #3,319 of 14,501
May 26, 2020 at 4:08 PM Post #3,320 of 14,501
Well, looks like the day has come I received the transformer.

I need to get off my rear and get to the wood shop to build a case. So tomorrow I'll start on that, I'm unsure of the wood I have on hand nor do I have my router. So don't be expecting much.

Only issue I had with the transformer is they only did a center pot. I've taken this up with the mfg but have a transformer to test with to the time being is great.

EDIT: it also doesn't have a center tap ground like I asked-.-, meaning I can't use it. I was waiting for so long for this.

View attachment 11243060.jpg

Last edited:
May 26, 2020 at 4:46 PM Post #3,321 of 14,501

I need to get off my rear and get to the wood shop to build a case. So tomorrow I'll start on that, I'm unsure of the wood I have on hand nor do I have my router. So don't be expecting much.

Only issue I had with the transformer is they only did a center pot. I've taken this up with the mfg but have a transformer to test with to the time being is great.

EDIT: it also doesn't have a center tap ground like I asked-.-, meaning I can't use it. What, I was waiting for so long for this.

What exactly are you making? I understand the virtues of toroidal transformers, sorry you did not get what you are seeking.

May 26, 2020 at 4:59 PM Post #3,323 of 14,501
If you scroll back some pages I started a little side project of a open source PCB tube amp This transformer was for it.
Ok I will do that as time allows.

May 26, 2020 at 5:20 PM Post #3,325 of 14,501
It's not much it's still in a very rough stage on perf board
I am curious so I will certainly locate it. While I have done some PC board design I am going point to point with my present builds. Maybe one day I will do something open source but not with the amp I just designed and the components are often too costly for some folks.

Here are some Sylvania 6j5g tubes I just acquired, I love the ST style glass and these have a sound all their own. Just starting the listen but so far the bass and mids are to die for. Sylvania ST tubes.jpg

Last edited:
May 26, 2020 at 6:55 PM Post #3,326 of 14,501

EDIT: it also doesn't have a center tap ground like I asked-.-, meaning I can't use it. I was waiting for so long for this.

I vote for Tiger maple. Maple is (of course) the best sounding wood. :) And Tiger maple is the, um, cat's meow (ugh) of maple. :) :)

schiitrack1.jpg

May 26, 2020 at 6:59 PM Post #3,327 of 14,501
I am curious so I will certainly locate it. While I have done some PC board design I am going point to point with my present builds. Maybe one day I will do something open source but not with the amp I just designed and the components are often too costly for some folks.

Here are some Sylvania 6j5g tubes I just acquired, I love the ST style glass and these have a sound all their own. Just starting the listen but so far the bass and mids are to die for. Sylvania ST tubes.jpg

Your amp is built sideways. No offense. Just sayin'. LOL!!

May 26, 2020 at 7:50 PM Post #3,328 of 14,501

There's a few Philips out there that I know Sylvania made for them, or at least the 6SN7 they did, you think these 6J5g Philips worth the grab? Same bottle design.

May 26, 2020 at 8:23 PM Post #3,329 of 14,501
There's a few Philips out there that I know Sylvania made for them, or at least the 6SN7 they did, you think these 6J5g Philips worth the grab? Same bottle design.
They are probably all right as well. Some Sylvanias are amazing but few are below average imho.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back