Darkvoice 336i & 336SE Tuberolling PartII
May 27, 2020 at 7:57 AM Post #3,331 of 14,501
I vote for Tiger maple. Maple is (of course) the best sounding wood. :) And Tiger maple is the, um, cat's meow (ugh) of maple. :) :)

schiitrack1.jpg
It would look so good with VU meters, maybe you will own a pair one day, VU meters that is. :ksc75smile:

May 27, 2020 at 8:05 AM Post #3,333 of 14,501
May 28, 2020 at 10:11 PM Post #3,335 of 14,501
@bcowen Did you ever get a hold of Sylvania's version of the 7236? I think you blasted the Tung Sol for it's bloated bass, you might like the Sylvania 7236, much tighter control across the board. Wondering if you felt the same about it.

No, never got the Sylvania version. Just have the Cetron and Tung Sol. Was looking forward to hearing the Tung Sol 5998, but the Post Office would appear to have lost it. Sent by Priority Mail on the 13th, landed at the distribution center 15 miles from my house on the 15th, and no tracking updates since. Bummed. :frowning2:

May 28, 2020 at 10:22 PM Post #3,336 of 14,501
No, never got the Sylvania version. Just have the Cetron and Tung Sol. Was looking forward to hearing the Tung Sol 5998, but the Post Office would appear to have lost it. Sent by Priority Mail on the 13th, landed at the distribution center 15 miles from my house on the 15th, and no tracking updates since. Bummed. :frowning2:
That happened to me once, I called and let the poor girl have it on the other line, "Your all incompetent"! and so on.. two weeks later I'm sitting in my garage looking at a package that was never opened.... just sitting there... o.O hope they find it. and hope your not as dense as I am :D

May 29, 2020 at 9:09 PM Post #3,338 of 14,501
New status on the 5998 in USPS tracking today: Case closed. Seeing as how I still haven't received it, I'm guessing that means they've quit looking for it (like they ever did to begin with). Oh well. Seller is playing stupid, so I'm turning it over to Ebay to get my money back. When stuff I buy on Ebay gets lost or damaged and the seller steps right up and makes things right I'm very quick to leave positive feedback for them. When a seller stonewalls or starts spewing the "it's not my fault" routine I'm just as quick to leave negative feedback...right after Ebay refunds my money. :)

I do, however, have one pinnacle moment for the week. (groan) :) Have only tested a couple of them so far but they look to be NOS and test nicely at NOS levels. Aural evaluation to follow shortly....

Pinnacle 6J5GT.jpg

May 29, 2020 at 10:31 PM Post #3,339 of 14,501
New status on the 5998 in USPS tracking today: Case closed. Seeing as how I still haven't received it, I'm guessing that means they've quit looking for it (like they ever did to begin with). Oh well. Seller is playing stupid, so I'm turning it over to Ebay to get my money back. When stuff I buy on Ebay gets lost or damaged and the seller steps right up and makes things right I'm very quick to leave positive feedback for them. When a seller stonewalls or starts spewing the "it's not my fault" routine I'm just as quick to leave negative feedback...right after Ebay refunds my money. :)

I do, however, have one pinnacle moment for the week. (groan) :) Have only tested a couple of them so far but they look to be NOS and test nicely at NOS levels. Aural evaluation to follow shortly....

pinnacle
tenor.gif

Last edited:
May 30, 2020 at 12:23 PM Post #3,340 of 14,501

LOL!

From Russia With Love. :)

Not meant as a negative...seems there are many among us who have a fondness for Melz and Fotons. :) Have a pair in the Incubus playing now. On first listen, typical new Russian tube sound -- recessed and harmonically deprived midrange and a bit aggressive up top. After all of an hour, both areas improved noticeably, and what else? That drive and punch and rhythm in the mid and upper bass started to make itself known...one of the qualities I like so much with the Foton 6N8S's. So I'll let them play and see how they develop. As of now they sound pretty good. Not stellar or mind-blowing, but perhaps that will change as they settle in. Stay tuned.

Pinnacle 6J5.jpg

May 30, 2020 at 12:28 PM Post #3,341 of 14,501
LOL!

Not meant as a negative...seems there are many among us who have a fondness for Melz and Fotons. :) Have a pair in the Incubus playing now. On first listen, typical new Russian tube sound -- recessed and harmonically deprived midrange and a bit aggressive up top. After all of an hour, both areas improved noticeably, and what else? That drive and punch and rhythm in the mid and upper bass started to make itself known...one of the qualities I like so much with the Foton 6N8S's. So I'll let them play and see how they develop. As of now they sound pretty good. Not stellar or mind-blowing, but perhaps that will change as they settle in. Stay tuned.

Pinnacle 6J5.jpg
How many did you buy? If you love them I might want a pair after they are already broken in, I only have so much time to spend on this hobby you know. :ksc75smile:

May 30, 2020 at 12:59 PM Post #3,342 of 14,501
LOL!

Pinnacle 6J5.jpg
Same here...can you please break mine in too :D

May 30, 2020 at 2:30 PM Post #3,343 of 14,501
How many did you buy? If you love them I might want a pair after they are already broken in, I only have so much time to spend on this hobby you know. :ksc75smile:

16. And my powers of ESP are still a force to be reckoned with. I predicted 2 wouldn't test well, and exactly 2 don't test well. One has low(ish) GM...still well above minimum, but a good bit lower than the others. And one that's blipping the needle on the leakage test. A bit strange that I get an initial blip and then it settles back down, but it does the same thing with repeated tests. May be OK, but why risk it. If after further break-in I deem these are worthy, I'll send you and @JKDJedi a pair to confirm my aural acuity. LOL! But broken-in? Yeah, um, well...NOT. Your amp(s) work as good as mine for such purposes. :) Now, if you can figure out how to wire up my Cable Cooker to break-in tubes, we might could have a further conversation. :)

May 30, 2020 at 2:39 PM Post #3,344 of 14,501
16. And my powers of ESP are still a force to be reckoned with. I predicted 2 wouldn't test well, and exactly 2 don't test well. One has low(ish) GM...still well above minimum, but a good bit lower than the others. And one that's blipping the needle on the leakage test. A bit strange that I get an initial blip and then it settles back down, but it does the same thing with repeated tests. May be OK, but why risk it. If after further break-in I deem these are worthy, I'll send you and @JKDJedi a pair to confirm my aural acuity. LOL! But broken-in? Yeah, um, well...NOT. Your amp(s) work as good as mine for such purposes. :) Now, if you can figure out how to wire up my Cable Cooker to break-in tubes, we might could have a further conversation. :)
I suppose I could break them in, if I have to , I guess. Next time I send you an amp though, I am only going to solder some of the connections, you have a soldering iron somewhere, and solder.:smile_phones:

May 30, 2020 at 3:00 PM Post #3,345 of 14,501
I suppose I could break them in, if I have to , I guess. Next time I send you an amp though, I am only going to solder some of the connections, you have a soldering iron somewhere, and solder.:smile_phones:

Oh fine then. But you've seen my tube pin soldering. You sure you're willing to risk your design reputation on *my* soldering abilities? :) :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back