Darkvoice 336 arrived in 110 voltage.
Jun 24, 2006 at 2:50 AM Post #106 of 823
Quote:

Originally Posted by pentagonwizard
I have a few questions about the darkvoice.

I am new to amps in general and very new to tube amps. I was planning on getting the Headfive that would feed out of my ipod line out and into k501. Does anyone have an idea on how the darkvoice would compare?

Also, pricewise, the two amps seem to be similar (~$250), how much does in cost to roll the tubes in the darkvoice?

Finally, does the darkvoice have crossfeed?

I'll answer the few questions I can. There is no crossfeed in the Darkvoice. As far as tube rolling cost, that depends on what tubes you get. I just bought 2 new tubes for $65.00. You could go with less expensive tubes than these.

Jun 24, 2006 at 5:32 AM Post #107 of 823
Quote:

Originally Posted by pentagonwizard
I have a few questions about the darkvoice.

I am new to amps in general and very new to tube amps. I was planning on getting the Headfive that would feed out of my ipod line out and into k501. Does anyone have an idea on how the darkvoice would compare?

Also, pricewise, the two amps seem to be similar (~$250), how much does in cost to roll the tubes in the darkvoice?

Finally, does the darkvoice have crossfeed?

Go for tubes, you know you want to.
biggrin.gif

You can buy tubes for next to nothing on eBay if you're patient and get lucky. There are many sellers who sell used vintage tubes which are very reasonably priced compared to their NOS counterparts.

Jun 24, 2006 at 5:34 AM Post #108 of 823
Quote:

Originally Posted by swt61
Just got word from JianLiu that my Darkvoice was shipped yesterday. Just 3 or 4 more days to wait.

You must be getting excited by now.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Don't forget to post your impressions of the amp when it arrives, and if you have any comments or suggestions regarding tuberolling the 336 we want to hear them!
etysmile.gif

Jun 24, 2006 at 6:12 AM Post #109 of 823
Quote:

Originally Posted by aznsensazian
Its smooth, but not too overtly smooth. Its best suited for harsh phones like the cd3000 or sa5000, but synergizes well with the k340, k501 and any other high impendence phones also.
-Minh

Did you personally try it with the SA5k's? More detailed impressions?

Does the seller not use PayPal?

Jun 24, 2006 at 8:03 PM Post #110 of 823
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bosk
You must be getting excited by now.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Don't forget to post your impressions of the amp when it arrives, and if you have any comments or suggestions regarding tuberolling the 336 we want to hear them!
etysmile.gif

I'm possitivly giddy! I purchased the same tubes that aznsensazian said he likes best with his K340's. He said that they give the 340's great bass impact, and that sounded like what I wanted. The new tubes will probably show up a bit later than the Darkvoice, but I'll post for both arrivals.

Jun 24, 2006 at 8:04 PM Post #111 of 823
Quote:

I'm possitivly giddy! I purchased the same tubes that aznsensazian said he likes best with his K340's. He said that they give the 340's great bass impact, and that sounded like what I wanted. The new tubes will probably show up a bit later than the Darkvoice, but I'll post for both arrivals.

Hey, when did you order the Darkvoice and how long did it take to ship? What payment method did you use (Do you know if he accepts PayPal?)?

Jun 24, 2006 at 8:09 PM Post #112 of 823
Quote:

Originally Posted by Azure
Hey, when did you order the Darkvoice and how long did it take to ship? What payment method did you use (Do you know if he accepts PayPal?)?

I ordered it two weeks ago Friday. It takes about 10 days to convert it to
110v at the factory. It shipped day before yesterday and is supposed to take 3-4 days to ship. Quite fast considering it's coming from China. He does not take PayPal, you need to use Western Union. It's actually cheaper to Western Union money to China than it is to send it instate. I believe the cost of sending the $299.00 was $14.00.

Jun 24, 2006 at 11:08 PM Post #113 of 823
Quote:

Heh, that's funny because I just bought a couple of used vintage 6SN7's for mine from eBay before the amp has even finished being built. I can't wait to tuberoll this little amp.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Jun 25, 2006 at 12:14 AM Post #114 of 823
Quote:

Originally Posted by Azure
Did you personally try it with the SA5k's? More detailed impressions?

Does the seller not use PayPal?

It took the edge off the SA5Ks some, but beyond that I don't remember much of the combo myself. Try as I might, I couldn't really get into the SA5Ks on SS or tubes.

Jun 25, 2006 at 12:54 AM Post #115 of 823
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bosk
Heh, that's funny because I just bought a couple of used vintage 6SN7's for mine from eBay before the amp has even finished being built. I can't wait to tuberoll this little amp.
very_evil_smiley.gif

I've been searching for NOS Raytheon 6080 and Kenrad black glass 6SN7gt/vt231 for a few weeks now, and just found a good deal (what the heck do I know about tubes, I think it was a good deal). I've been following aznsensazian's impressions of this combo with his K340's for a while now, and from everything he's told me, I think I'll like this combo. But of coarse I'll keep my eyes out for other tube combos like any good Head-Fi consumer.
icon10.gif

Jun 25, 2006 at 7:16 AM Post #116 of 823
Anybody know much about cathode resistor bypass caps?

I had to solder a couple on to get rid of the hum caused by the AC heater supply when using a Tung-Sol RP 6SN7GT. I used some Nichicon 100uF/25V caps I had floating around, with no series markings on them. I don't really notice any differences/problems on my other tubes with them added to the circuit (though I still need dampers to realistically use the Tung-Sol), but I'm sure I can do better than the unknown series Nichicons.

Any recommendations on brand/series, rated voltage, capacitance?

(Oh, and I guess this marks the first documented Darkvoice mod
biggrin.gif
)

Jun 25, 2006 at 8:21 AM Post #117 of 823
These are the tubes I have found to be quiet on a darkvoice.And some of my failures. I have had some that had a hum, but it may be the tubes. For example I sent back a Cbs/Hytron 6sn7gt to a dealer for hum, but just got a Hytron 6sn7gt which is dead quiet.And there basically the same tube. But if I run into more I may try Fitz mod.
Also when you recieve the amp make shure the tubes are all the way in solid. You will here a little hum, but it will go away after a few hours. One person said he thought it was the capacitors breaking in. So here goes.
Used Sylvania 6sn7gt-Had hum but went away after a few hours, now quiet.
Used Hytron 6sn7gt- quiet
Used CBS/JAN 5692-Slight noise. Goes away after about 10 min. of warmup. I only paid 10 dollars for it so I am fine with it.
Used Ken rad v-231 staggerd plates clear glass-quiet,no problem
NOS United Electronics 6as7g-Quiet Good back tube. My tube of preference.
Update-Recieved second Raytheon 6080-nice quiet tube.But doesnt seem to play nice with Sylvania 6sn7gt tube.When combined the hum is back.But when I plug the United Elec. 6as7g with the Sylvania it is quiet again.What the? Maybe someone has a answer for this. Removed from not working out list.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tubes that did not work out.....
Cbs/hytron 6sn7gt-hum never went away,sent back to dealer.
Nos Rca 6as7g Was very microphonic, went pop about four hours into use.Dead. Sent back to dealer.Other owners use them with no problem
Nos Rca 6sn7gt- some hum. But 3 bucks and I cant complain.Great sounding tube.I am going to break it in for about 24 hours and see if it changes.
Used Delco 6sn7gt-Bad tube real bad hum.Threw away

Used Sylvania 6sn7wgt-bad hum one channel,bad tube. But sounds good on the amp if you can find a good one.
Used Rca 6sn7gtb-worn out,junk.Cant suggest because I dont have a good one.
New Electro- harmonix 6sn7-do not buy,nobody has got these to work.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Its a jungle out there-buying tubes is a crap shoot.I have bought 5 dollar tubes off ebay and they sound fantastic and have bought tubes that are junk and advertised as "like new ,quiet,fantastic,etc."Also buying from a dealer does not gaurentee a good tube(or a compatible one,like Fitz Tung Sol) but most have good return policy. But even with dealers I ran into one that I wouldnt ever deal with again.But the rewards are "Oh so good" when you get a good one.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tubes on the way in bulk buy....
Naional Union 6sn7 with jan-cnu disignaton.
National Union black glass
Hytron 6sn7gt-I want a spare
Various RCA sn7gt and gtb
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Well when I get the new bacht I will report how the new RCA and National Union work.

Jun 25, 2006 at 12:05 PM Post #120 of 823
It takes 7-8 days for the amp to be reconfigured for 110 volts. This is a bit long for me. So, there's virtually no sonic differences between the two versions, right? Couldn't I just get a step-down converter and use the 220 volt version?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back