Darkvoice 336 arrived in 110 voltage.
Jun 25, 2006 at 2:26 PM Post #121 of 823
Quote:

Originally Posted by Azure
It takes 7-8 days for the amp to be reconfigured for 110 volts. This is a bit long for me. So, there's virtually no sonic differences between the two versions, right? Couldn't I just get a step-down converter and use the 220 volt version?

I believe you could, but I think you'd be much happier with the 110v version. The 7 days will pass before you know it, then it's audio bliss for the long haul.
icon10.gif

Jun 25, 2006 at 8:41 PM Post #123 of 823
I just listened to Ted Nugents "Stranglehold" at earblead levels. Wow!!!
I cant hear but it was Awsome and It fixed the noisey tube at the same time!!!
Its a good darkvoice mod, just blast Stranglehold for a few hours.We will call it the Ted Nugent Mod.
k1000smile.gif

I mean whats good enough for Ted is good enough for me!!!
icon10.gif

Jun 25, 2006 at 9:13 PM Post #124 of 823
I have returned to normal. I knew not to drink that Energy Drink. It was a combination of caffiene, rock and roll, and watching "Girls gone Wild" that just sent me over the top.I am back to listening to the Blues and feeling old and sorry. So Excuuuse me.

Jun 26, 2006 at 3:14 AM Post #125 of 823
Well after a few more hours of burn-in, the Tung-Sol RP has finally started to wake up from its very long sleep. It may not be as smooth or refined as the RCA 5692, but it sure is fun.
340smile.gif

Jun 26, 2006 at 11:09 AM Post #127 of 823
Thanks very much for posting your tuberolling impressions so far guys.
biggrin.gif

I can imagine most of us doing lots more rolling in future as we search for that perfect input/output tube combination.

I have a bunch of vintage RCA & GE 6SN7GTB's coming my way care of eBay, which will probably reach me before the amp itself does. I'm dying to find out just how much improvment a good set of tubes will make to the amp. What I'm really after is a soundstage that's as holographic as possible.

By contributing our thoughts on the various tubes we buy, hopefully we can all save a bit of money and discover that 'ultimate' combination sooner rather than later, lord knows there's enough 6SN7's and variants to test.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Incidentally, do you think you could characterize the improvements rolling the power tube makes as opposed to the front tube?
I imagine the back tube is less important sonically in the scheme of things but I'd like to hear your experiences.

Jun 28, 2006 at 10:18 PM Post #128 of 823
HOLY CRAP! And it's going to get even better with new tubes? It showed up about 3:30 this afternoon. The wooden crate is pretty stout, I think the package could have withstood a tsunami. The pictures don't do this amp justice, but I'll post a couple more anyway. This is a truely beautiful amp. And the build quality is WOW! Right up there with amps costing 3 and 4 times the price of this jewel. I couldn't be happier!
icon10.gif
What an upgrade from my PPA. My new tubes are schedualed for delivery on Friday. Can't wait to start my tube rollin' days!

As you can see I already got my Herbie's tube dampers. Have one for both of the new tubes coming.

Listening to Dire Straits at the moment (one of my reference CD's). Will be here all night takin' in the tube goodness.
340smile.gif

Yeah the temporary stand isn't the best looking, but I need longer RCA's.

Jun 28, 2006 at 10:37 PM Post #130 of 823
Take some pictures of it in the dark
very_evil_smiley.gif

Jun 28, 2006 at 10:47 PM Post #132 of 823
Quote:

Originally Posted by swt61
OMG! Just put on Emmylou Harris' "SPYBOY". Tubes + female vocals = Pure Bliss

Excellente!!
icon10.gif

Jun 28, 2006 at 10:49 PM Post #133 of 823
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fitz
Welcome to the club!!!
340smile.gif
340smile.gif
340smile.gif

Congrats on getting your new Darkvoice safely!

Thanks! This is a great club!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Azure
Take some pictures of it in the dark
very_evil_smiley.gif

OK, gimme a few minutes.

Quote:

Originally Posted by aznsensazian
Excellente!!
icon10.gif

You're so on the mark about the synergy with the K340's! I can't wait for the Kenrad!

Jun 28, 2006 at 10:59 PM Post #134 of 823
Well my digital camera is only a few weeks old, and I need some time to familiarize myself with the functions first. The shots I just took all have heavy tracers. I'll try later

Jun 28, 2006 at 11:36 PM Post #135 of 823
I can't take good low-light shots with my camera anymore, some dust seems to have gotten on the sensor which gives some hotspots in long exposures. Plus it's IR sensitive, so the tubes glow bluish-white instead of orange in the photos.
rolleyes.gif

I may try again to get some shots of my own Darkvoice tonight.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back