Darkvoice 336 + 336i Tuberolling [ tubes ]
Mar 21, 2018 at 9:55 PM Post #1,532 of 1,556
I've also recently purchased the Darkvoice 336se and will be recieving my HD6xx's in march. I've been going after some tubes on eBay and have found that they all are quite different. I have been using a Ratheon CK 6080 with a Admiral (G.E.) 6SN7GT and it sounded very good. I just recieved a new tube 15min ago, Best I've heard yet. A Tung-Sol 6AS7GT Black Glass Round Plate. Cost and Arm and a Leg but man what a sweet tube. I'm listening to it now and as it warms up it keeps getting richer and fuller. I have a 5998 on the way to put with it next week. Also not cheap but from what I've read here one of the best Tubes you can buy for the DV. Tubes cost more than the Amp lol. Oh well its all about the music right. This is my current setup: iMac-OL DAC (usb version)-Darkvoice 336se (Ratheon CK6080/Tung-Sol 6AS7GT Round Plate)- Monolith M1060 Headphones. Listening to Linsey Sterling "Shatter Me" album as I type and am loving it!

Went dark for a while because my HD6xx arrived only a week ago, so I'm on the prowl for a good tube pairing again. Since you're one of two people to actually give a suggestion, figure I'd check in and see how your tubes were working out. Anything interesting? Did you find other good pairings?

Mar 21, 2018 at 9:58 PM Post #1,533 of 1,556
I have used many tubes in my DV amp. If you really like bass I find that most 6080 tubes will provide that amply. I would suggest that you give the 6F8G a try. I prefer the dark shaded RCA that can be seen in the attached photo. You will notice that there is an adapter plug in the photo - you will need that adapter plug to make the 6F8G work in the dark voice. In addition, I find the 6080 tube will normally run hot - hot enough to heat up the chassis of the amp. The 6F8G runs considerably cooler and has a really sweet sound. I have recently given up my DV for a Bottlehead. I believe the Bottlehead is a better sounding amp, although, not by much.
Best, JS

Thanks for the recommendations. Any good suggestions on the specific 6080 tubes that you have used personally? Also, you mentioned you just ditched your DV, did you also let go of all of the tubes?

Jun 12, 2018 at 2:14 PM Post #1,534 of 1,556
I recently joined the drop for the Darkvoice 336se on massdrop. A buddy of mine gave me a lot of 9 tubes and I was unsure of how good or bad these tubes may be. Any insight on these tubes would be appreciated (forgive me for I am a noob to tubes).

GE JAN 6AS7GA, Mullard 6080, Sylvania JAN 6080WC, Sovtek 6SN7GT, Electro Harmonix 6SN7EH, KenRad Black Glass 6SN7GT and Sylvania JAN-CHS 6SN7WGTA. He also gave me a Chatham Tung-Sol 6336A, but I read in this thread not to ever use this model of tube as it will fry the thing...so that tube is a no go.

Thanks,

Nick

Last edited:
Jun 12, 2018 at 8:00 PM Post #1,536 of 1,556
Thanks for the recommendations. Any good suggestions on the specific 6080 tubes that you have used personally? Also, you mentioned you just ditched your DV, did you also let go of all of the tubes?
I still have many - about 50 - tubes. Many will work in the Crack. Most will work with an adapter. There are some that I would sell if you have interest. Best, JS

Jul 21, 2018 at 5:56 AM Post #1,537 of 1,556
So the thread's been quiet for a while, hope some of you guys are still about. Firstly, thanks to everyone that's contributed in this thread. I've been slowly working my way through since i first ordered by 336SE and you guys (especially the tube guru's...you know who you are) have the addictive world of tubes slightly less intimidating.

So i'm currently still on my first run of replacements from stock, a GE 6SN7GTB paired with a Svetlana 6H13C and am really enjoying the upgrade from the Chinese placeholders it came with. This is my first tube amp but even I, with no experience thought it sounded almost SS as standard. I've also got a Sylvania JAN VT-231 (not a bad boy sadly) sitting patiently waiting its turn...i want to get a real feel for the current setup before switching, plus the Svet is a recent addition so am still learning how it sounds. I already have a list of tubes to hunt down and try...feels like i've opened pandora's box getting into tubes!

Anyway, enough rambling and back story. I've got a two part question. I'm close to picking up a dirt cheap RCA 6SN7GT but can't work out the code on it. See pic below

s-l1600.jpg

Does the 35 represent the third week of 1950?
Also, is this a grey glass 6SN7?

Lastly, the reason its going dirt cheap is that its untested. I know that's probably a bit of a no no, but could it hurt the amp or is the worst that can happen that it's simply a dud?

Thanks again for a great and informative thread people

Last edited:
Nov 4, 2018 at 4:22 PM Post #1,538 of 1,556
Looking for some suggestions.
Currently running my Darkvoice 336se with a Sylvania Jan 6SN7WGTA up front and a black base GE 6AS7G in the rear and listen exclusively with my Beyerdynamic T1v2's. While I enjoy the sound, the bass tends to feel inside my head and can be fatiguing particularly with music that has synth in it. Any suggestions with tubes that may open up the sound, especially with respect with the bass?

Feb 3, 2019 at 10:53 PM Post #1,539 of 1,556
Feb 3, 2019 at 11:02 PM Post #1,540 of 1,556
Looking for some suggestions.
Currently running my Darkvoice 336se with a Sylvania Jan 6SN7WGTA up front and a black base GE 6AS7G in the rear and listen exclusively with my Beyerdynamic T1v2's. While I enjoy the sound, the bass tends to feel inside my head and can be fatiguing particularly with music that has synth in it. Any suggestions with tubes that may open up the sound, especially with respect with the bass?
I read 6080 tubes have a wide soundstage. Me personally found GE tubes to have narrow soundstage, at least in the rear slot, driver/power tube? And as of now my widest is a NOS Sylvania Philco 6AS7G (mid to late 50's). I have a cheap JAN NOS Sylvania Philips 6080 ($15)coming in end of this week, so hoping the reports are true. Might have to grab the Mullard made ones if this tube doesnt do it, but cheapest one I've found so far go for $100.

Jun 21, 2019 at 7:31 PM Post #1,541 of 1,556
Hi everyone,

I am late to the scene of the DV 336SE which I just picked up yesterday. Stock tubes sound pretty good but I am none the wiser coming from solid state. My headphones are Sony Z1R, AKG 802 and Senn x Massdrop 6XX.

Could I please get some recommendations regarding what tubes would be best for these headphones (preference to the Sony and Senn).

Thank you so much in advance!!!!

Cheers,
MM.

Jun 21, 2019 at 8:45 PM Post #1,545 of 1,556
Thanks for the tip, will be on the lookout. BTW, how's the 6sn7 hunting going?
Very good thanks, have a Westinghouse 6SN7GTB upper D getter (50's) coming in, highly recommended by a member here. Have a Shuguang CV181-Z (Mint condition) I'll let go for the right price if anyone is interested. PM me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back