Darkvoice 336 + 336i Tuberolling [ tubes ]
Apr 17, 2017 at 1:10 PM Post #1,516 of 1,556
Hi, is it have enough power to drive them? I have similar phones, Im thinking on buying it.
smily_headphones1.gif

With my setup (see my other post re my tube choices) it has no problem driving my HD650s, the volume knob rarely goes past a quarter turn.

Sep 6, 2017 at 4:32 PM Post #1,517 of 1,556
I was mistaken I guess. I thought you said that you had just done something different that improved the sound.
But Back to the RCA, I just picked up 3 RCA 12sn7gt
dark glass and with my CBS and Marconi tubes I fell that I can let go now of my remaining 6sn7 stock. I do have a 6sn7 smoke glass,not the heavy dark glass. I will let you have it for the astonishing price of sending some of that spare wire you have.I need some 22,20 gauge wire.And maybe some future advice?I still thank you for helping me.

How did the 12sn7gt work in the Darkvoice. Did you find that the reduced voltage had any sonic impact? Thanks in advance, JS

Dec 26, 2017 at 12:09 PM Post #1,520 of 1,556
I would clean all eight contacts on the tube prongs and recepticle. Use sand paper, I have a Dremmel kit with different grinding tips, ussualy use the stone one, gently though. Than use any electrical contact spray. Wipe off the excess fluid to prevent a short.
Also, the tube has to be inserted under straight 45 degrees, not to lean on any side. After rhat, I'd check the 8 lines in the amp, coming of the base for loosenes. And their respective connectors on the other end. If the problem persists, it's beyound what you can do, short of diagnosing and replacing a condenser. Good luck, and don't give up the tube sound that easily, what cans do you use btw with the DV?

Dec 26, 2017 at 12:12 PM Post #1,521 of 1,556
I would clean all eight contacts on the tube prongs and recepticle. Use sand paper, I have a Dremmel kit with different grinding tips, ussualy use the stone one, gently though. Than use any electrical contact spray. Wipe off the excess fluid to prevent a short.
Also, the tube has to be inserted under straight 45 degrees, not to lean on any side. After rhat, I'd check the 8 lines in the amp, coming of the base for loosenes. And their respective connectors on the other end. If the problem persists, it's beyound what you can do, short of diagnosing and replacing a condenser. Good luck, and don't give up the tube sound that easily, what cans do you use btw with the DV?

Thanks. I ordered some deoxit and will clean the contacts of the tubes and sockets. I'll open it up too and check for loose connections. I use the HD600, HD6xx, and TH-X00 with my 336se.

Dec 26, 2017 at 12:22 PM Post #1,523 of 1,556
Thanks. I ordered some deoxit and will clean the contacts of the tubes and sockets. I'll open it up too and check for loose connections. I use the HD600, HD6xx, and TH-X00 with my 336se.

These are all VERY good on 336se. I use AT ATH-W5000 on the 336se, and love the sound. If you pair the 336se with the right cans, you won't be able to beat that sound this side of $1k. Also, I noticed that a power cable is very important to 336se. I got the best results,low end authority and lushest midrange with Pangea AC9 MkII.

Dec 26, 2017 at 12:24 PM Post #1,524 of 1,556
These are all VERY good on 336se. I use AT ATH-W5000 on the 336se, and love the sound. If you pair the 336se with the right cans, you won't be able to beat that sound this side of $1k. Also, I noticed that a power cable is very important to 336se. I got the best results,low end authority and lushest midrange with Pangea AC9 MkII.
Oh, I bought a bunch of snake oil and pour that on everything to make it sound better. It coats the copper for a perfect 115 volt supply of power.

Dec 26, 2017 at 5:59 PM Post #1,525 of 1,556
Still hoping that somebody will answer my question about using a 6SL7 tube in DV, bought one by mistake, would reeealy like to try it on DV, but don't wanna burn the amp in the process

I was hoping someone would answer because I was curious... I googled it a bit.. and it sounds like if it would work it isn't a good idea...to use them instead of the 6SN7

https://www.stereo.net.au/forums/topic/11981-is-there-a-difference-between-6sn7-and-6sl7-tubes/

http://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/difference-between-6sn7-and-6sl7-tubes.653447/

Jan 4, 2018 at 10:00 PM Post #1,526 of 1,556
Recently purchase the Darkvoice 336SE and HD6xx from massdrop. Ive been looking around for tubes that would pair well with the headphones. Ive done some digging and it seems that the Sylvania 6SN7GT (bad boy) and a TungSol 5998 are a great pairing. What other good pairings exist out there or is that version (bad boy + something) the agreed upon meta? Any help is appreciated.

Jan 6, 2018 at 1:22 PM Post #1,527 of 1,556
I've also recently purchased the Darkvoice 336se and will be recieving my HD6xx's in march. I've been going after some tubes on eBay and have found that they all are quite different. I have been using a Ratheon CK 6080 with a Admiral (G.E.) 6SN7GT and it sounded very good. I just recieved a new tube 15min ago, Best I've heard yet. A Tung-Sol 6AS7GT Black Glass Round Plate. Cost and Arm and a Leg but man what a sweet tube. I'm listening to it now and as it warms up it keeps getting richer and fuller. I have a 5998 on the way to put with it next week. Also not cheap but from what I've read here one of the best Tubes you can buy for the DV. Tubes cost more than the Amp lol. Oh well its all about the music right. This is my current setup: iMac-OL DAC (usb version)-Darkvoice 336se (Ratheon CK6080/Tung-Sol 6AS7GT Round Plate)- Monolith M1060 Headphones. Listening to Linsey Sterling "Shatter Me" album as I type and am loving it!

Jan 6, 2018 at 3:28 PM Post #1,528 of 1,556
I have used many tubes in my DV amp. If you really like bass I find that most 6080 tubes will provide that amply. I would suggest that you give the 6F8G a try. I prefer the dark shaded RCA that can be seen in the attached photo. You will notice that there is an adapter plug in the photo - you will need that adapter plug to make the 6F8G work in the dark voice. In addition, I find the 6080 tube will normally run hot - hot enough to heat up the chassis of the amp. The 6F8G runs considerably cooler and has a really sweet sound. I have recently given up my DV for a Bottlehead. I believe the Bottlehead is a better sounding amp, although, not by much.
Best, JS
Capture.PNG

Jan 8, 2018 at 8:08 PM Post #1,529 of 1,556
I was hoping someone would answer because I was curious... I googled it a bit.. and it sounds like if it would work it isn't a good idea...to use them instead of the 6SN7

https://www.stereo.net.au/forums/topic/11981-is-there-a-difference-between-6sn7-and-6sl7-tubes/

http://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/difference-between-6sn7-and-6sl7-tubes.653447/

Finally get the courage to plug in the 6SL7 in my DV. It wormed up nicely, nothing happened, but the sound was heavily distorted, si I took it out fast, to prevent possible damage to the amp. So, nothing there. Ordered EH gold pins, can't wait. Last 3 weeks got stuck to GE 6080, wonder how it will pair with EH Gold. Anyone tried the Psvanes' UK, are they worth the asking price on Amazon? They do look impressive, though

Jan 12, 2018 at 8:09 PM Post #1,530 of 1,556
Finally get the courage to plug in the 6SL7 in my DV. It wormed up nicely, nothing happened, but the sound was heavily distorted, si I took it out fast, to prevent possible damage to the amp. So, nothing there. Ordered EH gold pins, can't wait. Last 3 weeks got stuck to GE 6080, wonder how it will pair with EH Gold. Anyone tried the Psvanes' UK, are they worth the asking price on Amazon? They do look impressive, though

Yeah.. that is about what I expected.. at least it didn't blow the amp up =p ... pretty different tubes I didn't think it was going to work well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back