Darkvoice 336 + 336i Tuberolling [ tubes ]
Apr 20, 2007 at 4:07 AM Post #121 of 1,556
Quote:

Originally Posted by Azure /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm thinking about getting a 336i to tweak the sound a bit to try to tame the SA5000's highs and add a bit more oomph to the bass department. Which budget tubes (<$30) do you guys recommend?

Most of the tubes mentioned here are pretty cheap.

6AS7's - RCA, Svetlana, Sylvania, and GE (6080) are all like $12 apiece
6SN7's - RCA, Sylvania, and GE are all $20-30 each, the Tungsol is like $50 I think.

However, some of the rarer gray/black plate version of the tubes can go for a lot more. Look around in the thread for general impressions of each of the tubes and various combinations.

Apr 20, 2007 at 5:51 PM Post #122 of 1,556
Quote:

Originally Posted by Azure /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm thinking about getting a 336i to tweak the sound a bit to try to tame the SA5000's highs and add a bit more oomph to the bass department. Which budget tubes (<$30) do you guys recommend?

For Sa5k, also check out the Bada PH12. My 3910-ph12-sa5k system sounds great! I was trying different tube combo's but finally settled on electro harmonix + 2xraytheons and my lips hit my ears while smiling (sorry listening)...

Back on-topic > sylvania 6SN7GT + Western Electronic 421A combo sounds damn nice on 336i with my hd650's. if you have a chance, definitely check it out...

Apr 20, 2007 at 7:50 PM Post #124 of 1,556
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mrvile /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Svetlana is a nice little tube, definitely better than the stock 6AS7 IMO, but I'm going to have to wait for the Sylvania to arrive to do a comparison. You can read the impressions I posted earlier in this thread about the Svetlana.

I did. I just wanted you to tell me what to do.
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 20, 2007 at 8:07 PM Post #125 of 1,556
Quote:

Originally Posted by Superpredator /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I did. I just wanted you to tell me what to do.
smily_headphones1.gif

Well, looking at your tube inventory it doesn't look like you have any 6AS7 tubes to complement your collection of 6SN7's. Since you have a couple RCA's, I would probably recommend getting a Sylvania 6AS7 to balance out the sound, but the Sylvanias are a little harder to come by. Pataburd thinks that the Svetlanas are pretty close to Sylvanias...though I can't say anything until I receive my Sylvania in the mail. Svetlanas also tend to be pretty cheap compared to, say, RCAs and Sovteks.

Apr 21, 2007 at 9:43 PM Post #126 of 1,556
sadly although i've enjoyed my 336i very much...funds are a bit tight and the luxuries get to go first :frowning2:

if you guys know anyone looking for a 336i..pm me

it comes with a set of 12 tubes (which includes two pairs) that i used this thread to choose from

tis a sad day *crys*

Apr 22, 2007 at 8:05 AM Post #128 of 1,556
Quote:

Originally Posted by andrewrocks /img/forum/go_quote.gif
is ebay the best place to get these tubes from?

If you want good prices. You could always go to tubedepot or thetubestore and see what they have in stock (they usually have various brands under "tube replacements," but you have to email them to make sure they have what you want in stock) but you'll still be paying a good amount more than you would on ebay. I spent $20 for a single Sylvania 6AS7G that would've only cost me about $12 on ebay. But on ebay tubes come and go, and a lot of times you have to buy the tubes in pairs or quads, and you can't always trust the shipper to package it securely (I received a broken tube I bought off ebay, though the seller refunded my money). So just shop around, look on ebay of course, but don't be afraid to browse through online retailers too.

Apr 23, 2007 at 5:23 AM Post #129 of 1,556
Wow, it is great to go through the thread again for some great tube recomm. Right now, I am sworn by the RCA black glass and Sylvania Chrome Dome. They work well with my two pairs of phones... But the scary part of tube rolling, is when you have to get all of them in two, for an unspeakable project that involves two Darkvoice 336i
very_evil_smiley.gif

Apr 23, 2007 at 10:30 PM Post #130 of 1,556
Quote:

Originally Posted by SonicDawg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wow, it is great to go through the thread again for some great tube recomm. Right now, I am sworn by the RCA black glass and Sylvania Chrome Dome. They work well with my two pairs of phones... But the scary part of tube rolling, is when you have to get all of them in two, for an unspeakable project that involves two Darkvoice 336i
very_evil_smiley.gif

I can't tell you how proud I am of you at this moment.
tongue.gif
You're gonna love it! And yeah matched sets of good NOS tubes is a bit of an investment.

Apr 23, 2007 at 11:22 PM Post #131 of 1,556
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mrvile /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, looking at your tube inventory it doesn't look like you have any 6AS7 tubes to complement your collection of 6SN7's. Since you have a couple RCA's, I would probably recommend getting a Sylvania 6AS7 to balance out the sound, but the Sylvanias are a little harder to come by. Pataburd thinks that the Svetlanas are pretty close to Sylvanias...though I can't say anything until I receive my Sylvania in the mail. Svetlanas also tend to be pretty cheap compared to, say, RCAs and Sovteks.

I had no idea anyone even looked at my profile to see what tubes I have. What you saw hadn't been updated in many, many months.

And sorry if I wasn't clear, I wasn't asking for general tube advice (I'm stuck on the Tung-Sol 6SN7GT black glass), I was just asking you to tell me to go ahead and get the Svetlana.

Apr 24, 2007 at 12:38 AM Post #132 of 1,556
Quote:

Originally Posted by Superpredator /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I had no idea anyone even looked at my profile to see what tubes I have. What you saw hadn't been updated in many, many months.

And sorry if I wasn't clear, I wasn't asking for general tube advice (I'm stuck on the Tung-Sol 6SN7GT black glass), I was just asking you to tell me to go ahead and get the Svetlana.

biggrin.gif
Miscommunication x2.

You might as well go ahead and get the Svetlana, one only cost me like $12 and who doesn't want more tubes??

Apr 25, 2007 at 7:23 PM Post #133 of 1,556
Alright, the Sylvania arrived yesterday, but I didn't have much time to really listen to it until around midnight. So here goes...

Obviously the 6AS7G boasts that Sylvania house sound, so basically a very detailed yet refined sound, tight and deep bass with some kick behind it, and very precise imaging and soundstage. The Sylvania-on-Sylvania combo is like soundstage heaven, which makes everything sound much more detailed and full. I'm loving this combo!

Oh and a weird thing...the Sylvania arrived just like my broken Svetlana came. There was a little chip of glass floating around inside the tube. I was pretty disappointed and was afraid it wasn't going to work but it ended up working fine (yeah, I'm dumb enough to put another broken tube into my amp). I let it burn in for a couple hours and nothing has exploded yet. There is slight hum in both channels, similar to the hum of the Sylvania 6SN7 when I first got it, but hopefully it will go away with use.

Apr 25, 2007 at 9:19 PM Post #134 of 1,556
Are you sure it's actually a chip of glass inside the tube itself? Just making a rattling noise is not an indicator of anything actually broken, it could just as well be some of the glue that attaches the tube to the base that's flaked off.

Apr 25, 2007 at 10:35 PM Post #135 of 1,556
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fitz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Are you sure it's actually a chip of glass inside the tube itself? Just making a rattling noise is not an indicator of anything actually broken, it could just as well be some of the glue that attaches the tube to the base that's flaked off.

It definitely looks like a little piece of glass (the size of maybe a grain of rice) and my broken Svetlana had the exact same piece, so I was just sort of worried.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back