Darkvoice 336 + 336i Tuberolling [ tubes ]
Apr 27, 2007 at 6:02 AM Post #136 of 1,556
Quote:

Originally Posted by Superpredator /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Asr's K701 should be en route to me after April 30. I just got dampers in preparation, and I'll probably break out all my tubes for a rolling fest. Hopefully I'll have the answer soon.

Nice! Can't wait to hear about your impressions!
I was waiting for this thread to have more info on good tubes to go with the K701's.
1176733964_2705.gif

Apr 27, 2007 at 8:15 AM Post #137 of 1,556
Hey, I just ordered a 336i and have been reading through this thread. Can anyone recommend me some tubes for my DT880s? I'm hoping to bring out the low-end, tighten up the bass, and tame the 880s treble. Anything that sounds like it may work? Thanks!

Apr 27, 2007 at 1:44 PM Post #138 of 1,556
Quote:

Originally Posted by jondl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey, I just ordered a 336i and have been reading through this thread. Can anyone recommend me some tubes for my DT880s? I'm hoping to bring out the low-end, tighten up the bass, and tame the 880s treble. Anything that sounds like it may work? Thanks!

The Kenrad Black glass vt231 does exactly what you're asking for, and sounds beautiful as well. Downside is it's not as cheap as some of the others.

http://www.tubeseller.com/catalog/c2_p1.html

Scroll down on this next site until you see "misc. brands", it's the first listing in there.

http://www.vacuumtubes.com/6sn7.html

Apr 27, 2007 at 2:35 PM Post #139 of 1,556
Try the Sylvania 6AS7G, Svetlana 6H13C or GE 6080 in the rear. They're all nicely balanced, tight and clean-sounding rear tubes that will compliment the Ken-Rad VT-231 in the front.

You can always try a Sylvania, or National Union, 6SN7GT up front as well. If you can afford the Sylvania "Bad Boy" or the Tung-Sol round plate up front, then you're in for a real treat!

BTW: with the DT880--which have clear, extended and never harsh highs, I don't exactly agree that you'd want them "tamed." Rather, I'd want tubes that brought "to the next level" the already excellent quality of the upper end. Also, the bass on the DT880 already is, I think, ample and fairly tight. The sonic signature you're apparently trying to extract from the DT880 already exists, I think, in the Sennheiser HD580/600/650.

Apr 27, 2007 at 2:50 PM Post #140 of 1,556
Sorry to chime in on your thread, but I figured I'd ask here as no one on the 332 thread has changed their volume pot out yet.

I read you guys recommend the Alps RK27 pot. Does the stock volume knob fit onto the RK27? I'm also assuming the 336i and 332 use the same volume pot/knob design.

Apr 27, 2007 at 3:27 PM Post #141 of 1,556
Has anyone tried the Electro-Harmonix 6SN7 EH yet? I hope that they don't hum, I just ordered a pair.

Apr 27, 2007 at 4:43 PM Post #142 of 1,556
Most, if not all, 336i users report a fairly loud and irrepressible hum w/the EH 6SN7. I've had similar problems with other Russian-made 6SN7-type tubes, too. Your best bet is to go to eBay and buy some NOS American- or European-made 6SN7.

Apr 28, 2007 at 5:52 AM Post #143 of 1,556
just got the Darkvoice 336i today to go along with my AKG K340s and I am in love with this setup but I already added this thread to my favorites ahead of time, gotta love head-fi
very_evil_smiley.gif
. I just bought 2 front tubes, the RCA 6SN7GT and 6SN7GTB what do you guys recommend for the rear, RCA 6AS7G or Phillips Jan 6080, I like the sound as warm/lush/tubey as possible even if some detail is sacrificed.

Apr 28, 2007 at 6:38 AM Post #144 of 1,556
Quote:

Originally Posted by pataburd /img/forum/go_quote.gif
BTW: with the DT880--which have clear, extended and never harsh highs, I don't exactly agree that you'd want them "tamed." Rather, I'd want tubes that brought "to the next level" the already excellent quality of the upper end. Also, the bass on the DT880 already is, I think, ample and fairly tight. The sonic signature you're apparently trying to extract from the DT880 already exists, I think, in the Sennheiser HD580/600/650.

I actually think the opposite...I owned the DT880 for a month then promptly sold it because its highs were too shrill. I would personally avoid Sylvania tubes to use with the DT880 as they have a bit more emphasis on the treble (which is great with Senns).

Apr 28, 2007 at 10:43 AM Post #145 of 1,556
Quote:

Originally Posted by kg21 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
just got the Darkvoice 336i today to go along with my AKG K340s and I am in love with this setup but I already added this thread to my favorites ahead of time, gotta love head-fi
very_evil_smiley.gif
. I just bought 2 front tubes, the RCA 6SN7GT and 6SN7GTB what do you guys recommend for the rear, RCA 6AS7G or Phillips Jan 6080, I like the sound as warm/lush/tubey as possible even if some detail is sacrificed.

If you want more of a "tubey" sound, get the RCA 6AS7G gray plate (make sure the plates are gray). The Mullard 6080 is also a nice choice in this regard.

Apr 28, 2007 at 11:27 AM Post #146 of 1,556
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mrvile /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I actually think the opposite...I owned the DT880 for a month then promptly sold it because its highs were too shrill. I would personally avoid Sylvania tubes to use with the DT880 as they have a bit more emphasis on the treble (which is great with Senns).

It may be strictly due to listening preferences, but I am frequently puzzled when other Head-Fiers call the highs on the DT880 "shrill," or their bass somehow deficient. When you say "shrill" do you mean "harsh" and/or "grating" on the ears? If so, then that was never my experience with the DT880 over an 8-month period. Nor did I ever feel that the DT880 lacked bass. (I did/do, however, think that the DT880 (2003) lacked lower-to-mid midrange body, which was why I eventually sold mine.)

With respect to Sylvania tubes, I disagree with your statement, too, that "they have a bit more emphasis in the treble." My impressions of Sylvania tubes are that they tend to be pretty even, balanced and "tight" sounding across the frequency spectrum.

Well, anyway, I realize that my wife is more sensitive to treble than I am, so maybe I can relate to--although never completely understand--a Head-Fier's wincing at the treble response of the DT880.

Along another vein: for you, the listener, does affinity for a given headphone consist mainly in wanting to hear (a ) the headphones the way they were voiced by the designer/maker, or (b) the way one's listening tastes dictate?

If one buys cans, like the DT880, whose sonic signature is known a priori to be primarily extended (or, if you will, slightly "forward" in the treble), then why should he immediately set about to "tame" this sonic trait (which is perhaps the capstone of the cans' design)? Rather, why not exploit it, instead? If every headphone must sound, for example, "Sennheiser-ish" in order suit my listening tastes, then why would I wish to stray outside that (self-imposed) listening constraint, acquire another manufacturer's product, then proceed, for instance, to try to make the DT880 sound like the HD600?

Too, it might boil down to "brand loyalty" or "preferring a brand name 'house sound'" in league with one's listening preferences. I very much enjoyed my listening time with both the HD600 and the DT880--the latter more than the former : ) --but I enjoyed each with respect to its own, unique set of apparent, sonic design parameters. Personally, I've come to decidedly prefer the Ultrasone Proline 2500, but that doesn't diminish the genuine pleasure I derived from either the HD600 or DT880 when given opportunity to audition each of them at length. The SA5000 were headphones that I learned to like over time; the ATH-A900LTD, on the other hand, were headphones I enjoyed rght off the bat, then subsequently enjoyed less and less.

It's often a strange sequence of decisions that gets us from here to there in this funny world of audio-/head-philia. I can't be too sure about myself, either: does my preference for the 2500 exist in its own right (i.e., as a pure element), or is it a compound of all the partial preferences I've developed from my exposure to other headphones antecedent to the 2500? Probably a bit of both, and perhaps more due to the latter than the former--at least for me.

This discussion also raises the issue of objectivity versus subjectivity: do I like something for what it is in itself, or for what it is to me?

Apr 28, 2007 at 12:30 PM Post #147 of 1,556
As to the Sylvania tubes - I put one in my DV and it is a wonderful match with my Raytheon - balanced sound and nice bass presence. Dead quiet too!

As for the DT880s - or really in regards to treble shrillness: Keep in mind, it probably is more a comment about the listeners preference than the Beyers themselves. For instance, I'm very sensitive to treble so I actually prefer my cans not to extend very high. My DT990s are on the cusp. If they went any higher and emphasized treble anymore, I would not like them nearly as much as I do (they are one of my top 2 cans). I remember the first time I listened to the 880s and I did NOT like them at all. I found their bass presence totally lacking and, as mentioned, I found them shrill. But then at the NYC meet, I heard them paired with a Little Dot II+ and it was much more pleasing. I still prefer my 990s but I can certainly understand some of the less enthusiastic reactions to the 880s.

Apr 28, 2007 at 4:05 PM Post #148 of 1,556
Mrvile you certainly have jumped on the tube rolling bandwagon in a big way. Did I create a monster?
tongue.gif

warrior is that the Sylvania I sent? If so it sounds great, and I want it back.
very_evil_smiley.gif
But seriously if you ever get the chance to audition a Tung-Sol round plate in your DV I think it would be a great pairing with your DT 990's. I bought one in superb condition from Fitz a while back, and it was so smooth and lush without being too gooey. In the end I prefered the Kenrad with my K340 because it helps with the bass impact, but I wish I had a matched pair to try with my Ortho's. I don't feel like taking out a second mortgage to buy a matched NOS pair though.
wink.gif

Apr 28, 2007 at 6:08 PM Post #149 of 1,556
Quote:

Originally Posted by SonicDawg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Has anyone tried the Electro-Harmonix 6SN7 EH yet? I hope that they don't hum, I just ordered a pair.

I tried it a while ago. It hums... very, very loudly.

Apr 28, 2007 at 11:59 PM Post #150 of 1,556
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fitz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I tried it a while ago. It hums... very, very loudly.

Shucks.... Is there anyway to remedy this? How about your "hum be gone" mod?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back