Darkvoice 336 + 336i Tuberolling [ tubes ]
Aug 24, 2008 at 11:24 AM Post #1,201 of 1,556
After trying the tubes I will list below, the best combination was the Western Electric 421A with a Sylvania 6SN7WGT. [size=xx-small](Note that the WE 421A is identical to the less expensive Tung-Sol 5998, but not to the Tung-Sol 5998A. I got lucky on ebay with the 421A, otherwise I would have looked for a 5998).[/size]

Disclaimer: I am not an expert in tubes, or music, and I have not tried all possible combinations of the front and back tubes listed below. I am sharing impressions, in an effort to contribute to this excellent thread. Don't rush to buy or sell anything based on my opinions
smile.gif
. Also note that I have a 336i, an EMU 0404 USB, and the AKG 701's. With another pair of headphones, a different combination of tubes may be better.

So, I had been listening with a Sylvania 6SN7GT and a Svetlana 6H13C - an inexpensive but decent setup that I had found on this forum. I thought this was great, until a couple of months ago when I proudly asked a friend to listen to my setup. This guy is a musician and has experience with recording studios, etc. He thought the sound was good and detailed, but lacked midrange!

The situation called for immediate action so, after some research, I was off to ebay. When I returned from holidays last week, it was nice to find several packages waiting.

I started with the back tube, and replaced the Svetlana with a General Electric 5-star (military spec) 6080. This combo sounded relatively bad. No sound stage, no bass, no dynamic range, dry and flat. I concluded, mistakenly, that the GE6080 is a useless tube which turns the 336i into a solid-state radio.
smile.gif

The RCA 6AS7G was an improvement, a lot of bass, mellow sound, power. I soon found, however, that the bass was too much: "blooming" overtly and with no detail.

At this point, I decided to get rid of the Sylvania GT. The Brimar 6SN7GT
proved an excellent tube - especially considering the price. More instrument separation and generally more "exciting" compared to the Sylvania it replaced. This was the UK Brimar I have, not the Brimar USA which looks and sounds just like the Sylvania GT. But the bass from the RCA remained unrealistic, even when I tried the two other Sylvanias with it: the 6SN7W and the 6SN7WGT.

Trying the supposedly great WE 421A with the Brimar in the front removed the bass but introduced confusion. Midrange was too much and too slow, making it difficult to separate instruments. The sound became "muddled". I thought: the 421A is not that great.

So I tried the GE6080 again, this time with the 6SN7W: A totally different sound from when it was paired with the original Sylvania GT! Bass low but OK, soundstage OK, midrange OK, but incredible clarity! I could hear everything that was going on in Handel's La Rejouissance from Hifi News' Test Disk III. And the acoustic guitar of Robert Lockwood, Jr, from his TELARC CD Delta Crossroads, sounded real too. Vocals is where I realized that something was seriously missing.

I kept the 6SN7W and tried to mellow the sound with the RCA 6080. I thought: if the RCA 6AS7G is bassy and mellow, then maybe RCA did the same with their 6080s. (This should remove all doubt as to how much of an expert I am
beyersmile.png
). In fact, the bass was a little stronger and the sound was softer.

I took out the 6SN7W and tried the 6SN7WGT with the RCA6080: Even more clarity and dynamics! This was a surprise because, from searching the net, I had thought the 6SN7W was the best front tube I bought. Granted, I got mine cheaply because of a cracked base, but it sounds strong and the slight hum on the left channel disappeared after 30 minutes of pink noise. With several pages on the net praising both the metal and the black base 6SN7W, I had expected it to be the best. I looked at the 6SN7WGT and realized that the plates have three holes (like the famous "bad-boy"). My 6SN7W has two holes and a short bottle. The difference in the sound is not too obvious but, with high quality sources, the WGT wins.

Having realized by now that you cannot discount a single tube - only a combination of front and back - I decided to try the WE 421A with the Sylvania 6SN7WGT. And this is where I have stopped "rolling" for now (with the exception of also trying the 6SN7W with the 421A - to check that the 6SN7WGT still wins). There is detail, soundstage, separation, enough softness, dynamic range and, on top of it all, the midrange is fixed. There is realistic midrange but also clarity and quick dynamic response. Every source I have tried sounds fantastic with this combination. I never expected the 336i to improve so much.

Here are all the tubes used (click for larger photos):

[size=medium]Front[/size]

Sylvania 6SN7GT VT-231

Sylvania 6SN7GTB

Sylvania 6SN7W, black base

Sylvania 6SN7WGT

Brimar 6SN7GT (UK)

Brimar 6SN7GT (USA - a Sylvania?)

[size=medium]Back[/size]

Svetlana 6H13C

GE 6080

RCA 6AS7G

RCA 6080

WE 421A

You will notice that I did not mention the 6SN7GTB. I tried it, but the volume was very low. I gave it 5 minutes to warm up, and although there was some improvement, the volume was still too low. Tried the pencil test and it is not microphonic. Perhaps this $0.99 tube is way past its better days. Or the GTB's "controlled warm-up" time is longer than I am willing to wait. I realize all tubes require from 10 minutes to half an hour to warm up to full potential, but volume should have risen fairly quickly?

----------------------------
Update:

Several months later, I have tried two more tubes:

The Bendix 6080WB in the back:

And the RCA 5692 red-base up front:

The 5692, combined with the
WE 421A, was an improvement over the 6SN7WGT. It seemed more responsive and clearer.

For a few months I had been using this combination - 421A with the RCA red-base. Until a few days ago, when I found a pair of -very reasonably priced- Bendix 6080WB. In this thread, and elsewhere, I had read nothing but high praise for this tube so I was anxious to try it.

Swapping it for the 421A, and leaving the red-base 5692, was rather disappointing. I tried to give this, theoretically superior combination, the best chance to prove itself but it clearly was a step down. It sounded "flatter", a little muddled at times, and too "solid-state". Where there was clarity, it was without as much "life": a lot of spatial positioning and transient impressions were lost. Of course, all this was in comparison to the previous setup.

I left the bendix in place and replaced the red-base with the trusted
6SN7WGT. The change was striking! It was like my previous best combination, 421A with the red-base, only more "honest". The bass was equally present but even "tighter", the mid range was accurate but also colorful, perfectly separated, and responsive. The highs were impressive - almost got me worried that they were a bit too much until I realized that this is what they were supposed to have sounded like in the first place!

So, to conclude my (subjective, untrained, and by no means "professional") roll, these are my best tubes for the 336i and the AKG 701s:

Second place:

First place:

Aug 24, 2008 at 12:54 PM Post #1,202 of 1,556
CJS, what a great post! Truly excellent.

The Sylvania 6SN7WGT is a terrific tube. Unfortunately, people are starting to discover this, and prices are going up. Not that long ago I could buy these easily for less than $50/pair. Now you have to work hard to get them for less than $100/pair. Still, they cost less than the 6SN7W, or something like the Brimar or (heaven forbid) the Tung-Sol round-plates which now go for $500/pair!

In any case, again, excellent post.

Aug 24, 2008 at 7:11 PM Post #1,203 of 1,556
Quote:

Originally Posted by cjs /img/forum/go_quote.gif

So, I had been listening with a Sylvania 6SN7GT and a Svetlana 6H13C - an inexpensive but decent setup that I had found on this forum. I thought this was great, until a couple of months ago when I proudly asked a friend to listen to my setup. This guy is a musician and has experience with recording studios, etc. He thought the sound was good and detailed, but lacked midrange!

Interesting observation. I have been running that exact combination and I think you are spot on about the midrange.
I actually noticed a reduction in midrange when I upgraded to my current DAC and at the same time changed to a Sylvania tube (from Raytheon which was too dark with the new DAC). Since there were so many other improvements, I didn't really care.
I recently tried a Tung-Sol instead of a Sylvania GT. I had a hard time telling those apart. Then I tried an RCA VT-231. WOW! There's the midrange back!
That midrange is *so* important. I gives life to the music which I was missing a bit but no longer. I feared this would come at a price of more congestion, but guess what the congestion is virtually gone now. Heard the word 'panoramic' before.
Moral of the story, keep trying until you're (even more) amazed.

If you have the chance to try an RCA together with your Svetlana, that would be interesting how it compares to your Sylvania/WE setup.

Aug 25, 2008 at 5:02 AM Post #1,206 of 1,556
Quote:

Originally Posted by malldian /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Looking for a front tube to go with my driver tube (Tung Sol 5998). I use 325i's and Sextetts, any ideas?

Not everyone will agree with this, but a Hytron 5692 or JAN CRC RCA 5692 could work and avoid making the treble too bright with those headphones, while the Sylvania Badboy, Sylvania VT-231 and RCA grey glass VT-231 that I have are brighter and crisper treble but might be to much with 325i or sextett.

Aug 25, 2008 at 11:50 AM Post #1,207 of 1,556
Thanks guys, I am glad you liked the post.

AS1, I will keep an eye out for an RCA to try. Truth is, I forgot all about the Svetlana. At some point I should try it with my new front tubes.

Aug 25, 2008 at 12:29 PM Post #1,208 of 1,556
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Not everyone will agree with this, but a Hytron 5692 or JAN CRC RCA 5692 could work and avoid making the treble too bright with those headphones, while the Sylvania Badboy, Sylvania VT-231 and RCA grey glass VT-231 that I have are brighter and crisper treble but might be to much with 325i or sextett.

I partly agree. The CBS/Hytron 5692 is an excellent tube, if a bit mellow, but pairs very well with a 5998 with headphones that have a lot of treble energy. I like the RCA 5692 better than some - the issue is it isn't worth the asking price, IMO. Also I find the RCA grey-glass VT231 to be more on the lush/warm/slightly mellow side, whereas I agree about how you describe the Sylvania Bad Boy and VT231 (for those newer to tube rolling, the RCA VT231 and Sylvania VT231 have totally different construction, and they sound different).

Aug 25, 2008 at 3:43 PM Post #1,209 of 1,556
The treble spark never bothered me and I think that might be why I am always rocking out with them on! I don't want to kill that sound too much. I will start looking into those tubes though, thanks.

Aug 25, 2008 at 7:03 PM Post #1,210 of 1,556
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I partly agree. The CBS/Hytron 5692 is an excellent tube, if a bit mellow, but pairs very well with a 5998 with headphones that have a lot of treble energy. I like the RCA 5692 better than some - the issue is it isn't worth the asking price, IMO. Also I find the RCA grey-glass VT231 to be more on the lush/warm/slightly mellow side, whereas I agree about how you describe the Sylvania Bad Boy and VT231 (for those newer to tube rolling, the RCA VT231 and Sylvania VT231 have totally different construction, and they sound different).

I haven't listened to the RCA grey glass is a while, as I have a matched pair and have been saving them in case I get an amp that needs a pair. Same with the Sylvania VT-231 and RCA grey glass which I have a pair of. But, I need to go back and look at my tube rolling comments in your HFI-780 thread where I was trying to find tubes to tame the sibilance. I used the RCA and 5692 and both Sylvanias then, I think.

I believe I paid $50 for the brown-base Hytron 5692, and $70 for the Jan CRC RCA red-base 5692, so they are not cheap - but my Sylvania VT-231 cost me $60 shipped each, and the Sylvania Bad Boy was $70. I had a $40 Bad Boy that hummed and I returned it, but now that I have the Fitz Mod I could have used it. My RCA grey glass were closer to $40 each. None of my rear tubes were over $30 or $35 + shipping (Tung Sol 5998 and JAN CRC RCA 6AS7G).

These tubes all make a big difference, and are much cheaper than trying to find a metal base GZ34 for my Woo WA6 ($400) or a Sophia Princess or Emission Labs rectifier for it at $150-200.

[PS: cjs - nice post!]

Sep 17, 2008 at 6:45 PM Post #1,212 of 1,556
Just a quick note to tell you that the RCA red base 5692, that arrived today, has displaced the Sylvania - for good!
smily_headphones1.gif

What can I say? This 412A/5692 combo is "full range"! Clear-cut, complete, and effortless everywhere. The "really being there" feeling!

Sep 18, 2008 at 2:34 AM Post #1,214 of 1,556
I can sell you one of those tall-bottle CBS Hytron 6SN7GT's for 50% of that price if you want. PM me.

Sep 18, 2008 at 4:20 AM Post #1,215 of 1,556
Quote:

Originally Posted by cjs /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just a quick note to tell you that the RCA red base 5692, that arrived today, has displaced the Sylvania - for good!
smily_headphones1.gif

What can I say? This 412A/5692 combo is "full range"! Clear-cut, complete, and effortless everywhere. The "really being there" feeling!

I still have the RCA 5692 in my 336i for my RS-1 and Edition 9.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back