Darkvoice 336 + 336i Tuberolling [ tubes ]
Jul 22, 2008 at 8:01 PM Post #1,171 of 1,556
The average price for 5998's now, are between $35-$60. It all depends on timing. Often the 5998's resurface as a large lot, and there's periods where no one has them, which temporarily causes them to sky rocket in price. But when available, they're as cheap as $20.

Right now, it's a little slow in regards to the TS-5998.

EDIT: I just inquired about getting a hold of some more. I know a few tube wholesale guys by me in Orlando.

Jul 22, 2008 at 8:16 PM Post #1,174 of 1,556
Quote:

Originally Posted by malldian /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I found a pair at tubeworld, I guess I will wait and see what you find before I jump the gun. Hopefully a $20 set will jump out in the next couple days.

Not for a set.. $20 a tube, and that has only happened once, I believe. $30-$40 isn't bad. These tubes are worth more.. they're damn fine tubes.

Jul 22, 2008 at 8:32 PM Post #1,176 of 1,556
Quote:

I will buy the Svetlana and wait on the Tung-Sol, thanks a lot!

Their really not bad tubes.. except the 5998 is a lot better in pretty much all aspects, but for the price, those are hard to beat.

When you receive them, let members, here, know that you have 3 for sale, for $10 or $12 shipped.

Jul 22, 2008 at 8:35 PM Post #1,177 of 1,556
Quote:

Originally Posted by nick20 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Their really not bad tubes.. except the 5998 is a lot better in pretty much all aspects, but for the price, those are hard to beat.

When you receive them, let members, here, know that you have 3 for sale, for $10 or $12 shipped.

I have discovered that I am an anti-bass head. Once I realized why I didn't like the Denon 2000's at all I started pursuing the opposite effect with my sextetts. Only time will tell but I think this was a good discovery.

Jul 22, 2008 at 8:36 PM Post #1,178 of 1,556
Quote:

I have discovered that I am an anti-bass head. Once I realized why I didn't like the Denon 2000's at all I started pursuing the opposite effect with my sextetts. Only time will tell but I think this was a good discovery.

Which Sextett's do you have? EP,MP,LP?

Jul 22, 2008 at 8:37 PM Post #1,179 of 1,556
nick20 : did you compare the TS and the mullard as rear tube ?

Jul 22, 2008 at 8:38 PM Post #1,180 of 1,556
Quote:

Which Sextett's do you have? EP,MP,LP?

MP, I tried the LP but decided that I am looking for a bit more bass then they had, just with more control and tightness than I have heard as of yet. Hopefully the meet I am going to this Saturday can help me set some goals.

Jul 22, 2008 at 8:38 PM Post #1,181 of 1,556
Quote:

Originally Posted by bobby001 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
nick20 : did you compare the TS and the mullard as rear tube ?

No Mullards for me. I spoke with Pataburd, who has both, and told him what music I listen to, and he concurred that the 5998 was best for me, and rock. So I didn't bother ordering one. Sorry.

Jul 22, 2008 at 8:41 PM Post #1,182 of 1,556
Quote:

MP, I tried the LP but decided that I am looking for a bit more bass then they had, just with more control and tightness than I have heard as of yet. Hopefully the meet I am going to this Saturday can help me set some goals.

From my understanding, the Sextett's are pretty bassy. I may try them if the D2000's I ordered are too bassy. I too love tight, crisp detailed bass, almost like the Grado's. I may have to consider the Sextett's, and Sony SA5000.

How are the Sextetts, detail and soundstage wise?

-Nick
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 22, 2008 at 8:53 PM Post #1,184 of 1,556
Quote:

From my understanding, the Sextett's are pretty bassy. I may try them if the D2000's I ordered are too bassy. I too love tight, crisp detailed bass, almost like the Grado's. I may have to consider the Sextett's, and Sony SA5000.

How are the Sextetts, detail and soundstage wise?

-Nick
smily_headphones1.gif

If I had to guess, I will be going back to Grado fairly soon, they are what I have in mind when I asked about the controlled bass. Although I don't have too much to compare too (read: take everything I say with plenty of salt), I would say that the Denon's would have out trumped the Sextett in detail if it weren't for the overpowering bass for sure. Sound stage goes to the Sextett by a slim, slim margin. Even after saying that, I still prefer the Sextett over Denon even if they were comparably priced.

Jul 22, 2008 at 9:03 PM Post #1,185 of 1,556
Quote:

If I had to guess, I will be going back to Grado fairly soon, they are what I have in mind when I asked about the controlled bass. Although I don't have too much to compare too (read: take everything I say with plenty of salt), I would say that the Denon's would have out trumped the Sextett in detail if it weren't for the overpowering bass for sure. Sound stage goes to the Sextett by a slim, slim margin. Even after saying that, I still prefer the Sextett over Denon even if they were comparably priced.

Thanks. I wish the Sextett's were more detailed... otherwise I might be all over them.
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back