Darkvoice 336 + 336i Tuberolling [ tubes ]
Dec 22, 2006 at 8:11 AM Post #61 of 1,556
Not as far as I know, what info would you like to know? I think it would be better to open a new thread about it.

Dec 22, 2006 at 8:14 AM Post #62 of 1,556
Well, actually, never mind. If it costs $270 and then $60 in SHIPPING to get it over to the US, I'm better off saving up for a "M" Hornet.

Thanks for the concern though.
wink.gif

Dec 28, 2006 at 5:00 PM Post #64 of 1,556
Quote:

Originally Posted by jigster /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Would the 6336B tubes fit in where the 6AS7 is? Can this tube be used?

I would make sure your transformer can handle that as the 6080 draws 2.75A of heater current and the 6as7 draws 2.5A whereas the 6336 draws 4.75A (and the 6528 draws 5A). That's my major consideration.

Dec 28, 2006 at 5:05 PM Post #65 of 1,556
Quote:

Originally Posted by PFKMan23 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would make sure your transformer can handle that as the 6080 draws 2.75A of heater current and the 6as7 draws 2.5A whereas the 6336 draws 4.75A (and the 6528 draws 5A). That's my major consideration.

Thanks for the quick response! I was actually asking in context of the Darkvoice... but I got a feeling it cant. But those tubes do look wicked.

Dec 28, 2006 at 5:12 PM Post #66 of 1,556
Quote:

Thanks for the quick response! I was actually asking in context of the Darkvoice... but I got a feeling it cant. But those tubes do look wicked.

Honestly it doesn't matter if it's a Darkvoice/SP/Zana Deux, any tube amp has a transformer which has a rating of X amount of amps that it can draw. If you put in a tube that draws too much heater current you can fry the resistors or/and take out the transformer. So while the pin out may be the same, you need to be mindful of that. My view is until you can find the specs of the transformer, confirm that it is safe and that it fits, I'd stay away.

Dec 28, 2006 at 5:22 PM Post #67 of 1,556
Quote:

Originally Posted by PFKMan23 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Honestly it doesn't matter if it's a Darkvoice/SP/Zana Deux, any tube amp has a transformer which has a rating of X amount of amps that it can draw. If you put in a tube that draws too much heater current you can fry the resistors or/and take out the transformer. So while the pin out may be the same, you need to be mindful of that. My view is until you can find the specs of the transformer, confirm that it is safe and that it fits, I'd stay away.

How do i check? My DV doesnt have a manual.

Dec 28, 2006 at 7:47 PM Post #68 of 1,556
Quote:

How do i check? My DV doesnt have a manual.

I highly doubt the amp can use the 6336/6528. The transformer requirements are much tougher. You are doubling what is a high heater current draw to begin with. Plus, some of the other parts may not be up to handling all the additional current and the case may not be able to dissipate all the extra heat. I would confirm if you can use the 6336/6528 with the manufacturer before I tried these tubes. Remember, a single 6528 is equal to two 6as7/6080's.
wink.gif

Jan 13, 2007 at 11:05 PM Post #69 of 1,556
so from i've read this amp accepts 6SN7 type tubes in the front and 6AS7 types in the back. I'm very new to the world of tubes but i've done some reading/research to become more familiar with them. from what i understand the 6AS7 tubes are the 'winged' tubes that bulge out in the middle, but from other people's pics i see that many people use different shaped tubes. does the shape have anything to do with the type of tube or are all the tubes i'm seeing still 6AS7 types? i'm pretty sure that's not the case.

anyways can you tell me which tubes are compatible with this amp so i can begin tuberolling without the worry of blowing it up. or direct me to a thread/resource i could've missed to answer my question. thanks.

Jan 14, 2007 at 1:24 AM Post #71 of 1,556
The "winged" tubes are called coke bottle tubes, and those are regular 6AS7s. The straight bottles are usually a 6080, but GE made a straight bottle 6AS7 too (the 6AS7GA). There's also the Russian 6H13C / 6N13S that can be used as well, which has a slightly different curvature on the glass than a normal 6AS7. All of them can be used interchangeably in the Darkvoice.

Jan 14, 2007 at 1:35 AM Post #72 of 1,556
thank you for the information, sirs.

i'm having a hard time finding much information/selection of 6080 tubes.
right now i'm using thetubestore.com as it easiest for me to look up things and there are pics of most of the tubes. are there better resources for a tube noob?

Jan 14, 2007 at 8:08 AM Post #73 of 1,556
With Singlepower tube adapters you can use quite a few tubes in the front position . I recently tried a NU 7n7 grey glass (thanks to Earl) with the loctal adapter and it sounded great. In addition, I rolled a Japanese Raytheon 6cg7 with the ECC2 adapter and it sounded good. I have some Mazda/Brimar 6cg7s on the way to try. I also tried a 12ax7 with the ECC adapter but it had too much gain and hummed bad. Maybe a 12au7 would work better?

Happy Tube Rolling!

Quote:

Originally Posted by keanej6 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
so from i've read this amp accepts 6SN7 type tubes in the front and 6AS7 types in the back. I'm very new to the world of tubes but i've done some reading/research to become more familiar with them. from what i understand the 6AS7 tubes are the 'winged' tubes that bulge out in the middle, but from other people's pics i see that many people use different shaped tubes. does the shape have anything to do with the type of tube or are all the tubes i'm seeing still 6AS7 types? i'm pretty sure that's not the case.

anyways can you tell me which tubes are compatible with this amp so i can begin tuberolling without the worry of blowing it up. or direct me to a thread/resource i could've missed to answer my question. thanks.

Jan 15, 2007 at 5:46 AM Post #74 of 1,556
Hey, glad i found this thread....been reading through trying to get some ideas.

Right now im using a RCA 6SN7GTB and a GE 6080 (i think its a 6AS7G) in the back.

This seems like a really nice combo with my 580s.

Anyone got any recommendations for some other tubes?

Jan 15, 2007 at 5:52 AM Post #75 of 1,556
Grom what I remember the 580's have very slow bass and lack detail (to my ears atleast) the RCA 6SN7GTB is a good tube (not the best, but its also very cheap), the back tube is a bit problematic in terms of detail with the 580's. Try getting a RCA 6080 or if you have the $ one of the british tubes, from what I remember from the brief listen I gave to these, they are more detailed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back