Darkvoice 336 + 336i Tuberolling [ tubes ]
Nov 2, 2006 at 1:04 AM Post #32 of 1,556
Quote:

Originally Posted by DaNuS
I was considering trying a Tube Amp but I had a question: When the Tubes die on this unit can replacement tubes be purchased in the States? Also, is it as simplie and removing the the old tubes and replacing them with new ones (in pairs according to the Sticky FAQ)? Can anyone give me a brief rundown on replacement procedures as I've been looking all over to get a clearer idea of how to replace them. Thanks!

The Darkvoice is probably one of the easiest amps around to replace the tubes on. The small tube in front can take any 6SN7 variant/substitute, which has versions available in current production, as well as a vast array of vintage options. The large tube in back can take any 6AS7 variant/substitute, and is also available in current production, and has a decent set of options for vintage tubes. To replace them, just make sure the amp is off, and take the old one out and put the new one in, no other adjustments are necessary at all, as this amp is self-biasing.
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 2, 2006 at 1:43 AM Post #33 of 1,556
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fitz
With the Darkvoice and W5000, there is only one tube that has satisfied me in every aspect: The grey glass RCA 6SN7GT (or VT-231, identical tube). It's the tube I loved with the K501, and I dunno why the hell I didn't try it on the W5000 sooner. I've been going back and forth between it and my other tubes the last few days, and I can't really find any aspects where it doesn't win in my system. It's a little thick in the midbass, with less low end slam, which is the exact opposite of the W5000, so it fills out to the perfect combination of bass slam and warmth. The sound is very lush and smooth, with some kind of almost magical ability to counter the weird frequency response on the W5000. It's great with fast & clear phones like the W5000 and K501, but probably your last choice for any headphone that starts off too warm or recessed (I don't even want to imagine how thick and syrupy this tube would sound with the HD650
blink.gif
). The highs seem to have a bit of a slow rolloff compared to other tubes, so you need a good, strong treble response on your phones to avoid problems there.

Neither the Darkvoice nor the W5000 have what I would call a big soundstage, so the RCA's smaller, more intimate sound isn't a problem for me, and works great because it doesn't try to make the W5000 do more than it actually can for soundstage.

It is by far and away the most "musical" tube I've used. I can't even analytically listen to it if I try, I just get lost in the music for several hours at a time, even if I only meant to check how one track sounded. The music just flows.

I've also been using a Svetlana 6H13C for the output tube, which I haven't had any complaints about at all. Both of these tubes are easy to get real cheap, so that makes me even happier about the combo!

I really wish I could give my thoughts on this tube with more common phones like the K701.
plainface.gif

Dont forget, I was the first to decide that the RCA was a favorite for the darkvoice
lambda.gif
.Even before Fitz and the other guy.And with the version 2 Black darkvoice to boot. Gave me less time.

Nov 2, 2006 at 1:51 AM Post #34 of 1,556
Hmm... how woud Darkvoice 336i compare to Wooaudio 3 / 6?

I had to make a decision between DV 336i, Woo 6 and PPX3, and I went with Woo6....

Now I'm curious if the DV 336i is a contender for Woo 6...although Woo6 has higher price

Nov 2, 2006 at 1:55 AM Post #35 of 1,556
The Darkvoice 337 maybe a contender to the Woo 6. I am trying to get someone to commit.But you know if it doesnt fit,you must...... Oh waite a minute,different decade, Sorry

Nov 2, 2006 at 1:59 AM Post #36 of 1,556
Quote:

Originally Posted by echo1
Dont forget, I was the first to decide that the RCA was a favorite for the darkvoice
lambda.gif
.Even before Fitz and the other guy.And with the version 2 Black darkvoice to boot. Gave me less time.

Well I'm the first to declare it best with the 336FM, so there!
eggosmile.gif
tongue.gif
wink.gif

Nov 2, 2006 at 2:02 AM Post #37 of 1,556
Nov 2, 2006 at 2:06 AM Post #38 of 1,556
Quote:

Interesting question. The original 336 and 2nd revision 336 are easily distinguishable by silver vs black, but I'm not specifically aware of any external changes from 336 to 336i.

I was wondering... is it the same for 337? like, original 337, then 2nd revision, and now 337i?

Nov 2, 2006 at 2:19 AM Post #39 of 1,556
Quote:

Well I'm the first to declare it best with the 336FM, so there!
eggosmile.gif
tongue.gif
wink.gif

Well I'me getting a Paradisea Dac and Fitz dont have one.
NA NA Na.Stick that in your Darkvoice FM and smoke it.
basshead.gif

Nov 2, 2006 at 2:28 AM Post #40 of 1,556
So what new changes did you come up with for the great sound ?
Output caps?Or was this an actual design or curcuit change?
Oh please tell.(I promise not to tease you about my new wonderfull Dac)

Nov 2, 2006 at 2:36 AM Post #41 of 1,556
Quote:

Well I'me getting a Paradisea Dac and Fitz dont have one.
NA NA Na.Stick that in your Darkvoice FM and smoke it.
basshead.gif

Do you all think the smoke it in the darkvoiceFM was over the line.

Nov 3, 2006 at 1:08 AM Post #42 of 1,556
Hay Fitz,if you send me a schematic of your design change or your new parts list,I have a real nice Smoke glass RCA here I could cut you a good deal. ????????????
I am sorry about the put that in your DarkvoiceFM and smoke it, I should of said"Well put that on your Darkvoice FM tube heaters and smoke it.
rs1smile.gif

Now the waite.

Nov 4, 2006 at 4:34 AM Post #43 of 1,556
Quote:

Hay Fitz,if you send me a schematic of your design change or your new parts list,I have a real nice Smoke glass RCA here I could cut you a good deal. ????????????

I thought you already were pretty much up to date with the mods...
confused.gif

Nov 4, 2006 at 5:17 AM Post #44 of 1,556
I was mistaken I guess. I thought you said that you had just done something different that improved the sound.
But Back to the RCA, I just picked up 3 RCA 12sn7gt
dark glass and with my CBS and Marconi tubes I fell that I can let go now of my remaining 6sn7 stock. I do have a 6sn7 smoke glass,not the heavy dark glass. I will let you have it for the astonishing price of sending some of that spare wire you have.I need some 22,20 gauge wire.And maybe some future advice?I still thank you for helping me.

Nov 4, 2006 at 8:30 PM Post #45 of 1,556
Quote:

I was mistaken I guess. I thought you said that you had just done something different that improved the sound.
But Back to the RCA, I just picked up 3 RCA 12sn7gt
dark glass and with my CBS and Marconi tubes I fell that I can let go now of my remaining 6sn7 stock. I do have a 6sn7 smoke glass,not the heavy dark glass. I will let you have it for the astonishing price of sending some of that spare wire you have.I need some 22,20 gauge wire.And maybe some future advice?I still thank you for helping me.

Let me know what you need in terms of colour and amount. I got some red, black, blue, green, and purple in 20 gauge, and some red, black, white, orange, yellow, blue, purple, grey and a bunch of white w/ coloured stripes in 22 gauge. If you need longer lengths and not just short pieces for chassis wiring, I'd have to look to see what I have, since most of it is made up of short pieces.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back