Darkest Desires Part V
Jan 23, 2006 at 6:25 AM Post #856 of 2,645
Changed my Sonic Cathedral order and processed it today, dropped alot of the CDs as instead of filling out catalogue of current artists decided theres other stuff I just have to try.

Sonic Cathedral Order #6

After Forever - Invisible Circles (last one before Exordium, and im done
smily_headphones1.gif
)
Delight - Eternity (gotta have my monthly fix of darker melodic power metal with female vocals hehe)
Opera IX - The Black Opera (since i like the vocals of Cadaveria, but dont like her black metal band, perhaps her older more avantegarde band will suit my taste)

and on Wednesday I will be ordering from www.redstream.org

Arcana - Le Serpent Rogue
Chalice - Chronicles of Dysphoria
Elend - Sunwar the Dead
Shape of Despair - Shape of Despair
Silentium - Sufferion, Harmatia of Prudence

and maybe something from Theatres des Vampires (Blackened Collection even, hard to beat at 5 albums for $22)

Jan 23, 2006 at 9:39 AM Post #857 of 2,645
Once again, some great purchases there, Enverxis! By the way, Silentium was quite different before Harmatia. Much darker and symphonic, at least on Altum. It's a great album, grab it if you can. I believe Arcana did quite a stylistic change on La Serpent Rogue as well. From darkwave to something more based on percussions and haunting melodies. It's great though. Really interested to hear what you think about Elend. Especially on Sunwar the Dead it's some seriously experimental stuff.

Also, don't forget Throes of Dawn
biggrin.gif

Jan 23, 2006 at 11:20 AM Post #858 of 2,645
ive heard tracks from all albums, really liked what I heard on each one, especially that Opera IX track, I was like "THIS IS MORE LIKE IT!!"

the percussion on Le Serpent Rogue should suit me for starters (I am using grados
wink.gif
)

Elend was also excellent, a bit like Autumn Tears, but a little faster.

If only such a band existed that was a mix of say, Virgin Black and Opera IX with Cadaveria, that would be so good
very_evil_smiley.gif

Jan 23, 2006 at 12:56 PM Post #859 of 2,645
Quote:

Originally Posted by Enverxis
Sonic Cathedral Order #6

After Forever - Invisible Circles (last one before Exordium, and im done
smily_headphones1.gif
)
Delight - Eternity (gotta have my monthly fix of darker melodic power metal with female vocals hehe)
Opera IX - The Black Opera (since i like the vocals of Cadaveria, but dont like her black metal band, perhaps her older more avantegarde band will suit my taste)

and on Wednesday I will be ordering from www.redstream.org

Elend - Sunwar the Dead
Shape of Despair - Shape of Despair
Silentium - Sufferion, Harmatia of Prudence

and maybe something from Theatres des Vampires (Blackened Collection even, hard to beat at 5 albums for $22)

Good luck.........some of those are a real stretch, like Elend, Arcana. Whats wrong with normal dark metal?
tongue.gif

(sold all my used Elend, Arcana, Peccatum CDs to guys like Nacher, he he)

Jan 23, 2006 at 1:28 PM Post #860 of 2,645
Not really for me, Elend and Arcana went down really easily
smily_headphones1.gif

Peccatum though, not too into that CD.

Jan 23, 2006 at 2:23 PM Post #862 of 2,645
Quote:

This is a great album. Unfortunately this is their one album that isn't available in Polish... I think they recorded it in English only, where the rest of their albums are available in both Polish and English. Paula's voice really shines when singing in Polish. Probably as a result, the last track, Wieczny Fina³, would be the highlight for me. IMO it's the strongest musically on the album... great guitars and keys with a bunch of tempo changes, coupled with her singing in her native tongue. I may not understand a word of it, but I love it just the same!
rs1smile.gif

And I'm glad you liked Artrosis. I still wish I could come up with a good way to describe it. Often people ask what I'm listening to, and when it's Fetish, I never quite know how to answer. Oh well...
rolleyes.gif

Jan 23, 2006 at 2:36 PM Post #863 of 2,645
The guys at sonic cathedral recommend the polish versions of the first 3 albums of Artrosis, I have the english version, I dont see how one can sound better than the other, sure the females ive heard singing polish sound bloody fantastic, although I dont mind the english
smily_headphones1.gif

dont bother describing it (if theyre there), just hand em the headphones man
tongue.gif
but I assume you mean on MSN or whatever, usually i just send people an mp3 track
biggrin.gif

Jan 23, 2006 at 3:07 PM Post #864 of 2,645
Quote:

The guys at sonic cathedral recommend the polish versions of the first 3 albums of Artrosis, I have the english version, I dont see how one can sound better than the other, sure the females ive heard singing polish sound bloody fantastic, although I dont mind the english
smily_headphones1.gif

Well, with Delight I find the translations don't always sound quite right. I don't want to say they're cheesy, but they lack that subtlety that I'd imagine is there in the original Polish version. Also, there isn't the same flow, either a result of the forced translation or her just not being as comfortable with English. It probably never would've bothered my, but Wieczny Fina³ sounds f'ing beautiful, and a lot is how much smoother and more natural the vocals are.

I have the English version of Fetish as well, but the music and signing style doesn't seem to be affected like I find with Delight. It's odd music, and I'd guess the Polish phrasing is similar to the English to match the music.

Quote:

dont bother describing it (if theyre there), just hand em the headphones man
tongue.gif
but I assume you mean on MSN or whatever, usually i just send people an mp3 track
biggrin.gif

Well, usually it's I'm out and about with my E4c's, and most people don't like sharing IEM's! So I'm left trying to figure out what to say.

Jan 23, 2006 at 4:10 PM Post #865 of 2,645
Quote:

Originally Posted by en480c4

Well, usually it's I'm out and about with my E4c's, and most people don't like sharing IEM's! So I'm left trying to figure out what to say.

Ah, the "sticky" situation

Jan 24, 2006 at 10:24 AM Post #866 of 2,645
Selling a few CDs a few of which are dark metal CDs that I just couldnt get into...

Stream of Passion - Embrace the Storm
Peccatum - Lost in Reverie
Penumbra - Seclusion [Promo]
The Crest - Letters from Fire
Dark Moor - Shadowland
Dreamaker - Enclosed
Mandragora Scream - Whisper of Dew
Unshine - Earth Magick

the top three being exceptional though just not my taste, the rest .... well I think they sucked
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 25, 2006 at 6:35 AM Post #867 of 2,645
After reading through this thread I went on a bit of the CD purchasing spree.

One of the albums that Ive been enjoying has been Dimmu Borgir's Enthrone Darkness Triumphant
I've just hooked on the keyboards...Amazing atmosphere

So basically I'm looking for any other CDs (would this be just Black Metal?) with the similar dark feeling keyboard?

Another CD I have in the same vien is Anthems To The Welkin At Dusk, unfortunatly the sound quality is lacking on that, so its a less enjoyable listen.

Should I be looking at more Dimmu cds?
Thanks alot
orphsmile.gif

Jan 25, 2006 at 9:04 AM Post #868 of 2,645
there is alot of good dark keyboard music other than in Black Metal, most gothic metal is keyboard focused, and I hereby recommend

Theatre of Tragedy - Theatre of Tragedy
Theatre of Tragedy - Velvet Darkness they Fear
Theatre of Tragedy - Aegis
Draconian - Arcane Rain Fell
Epica - The Phantom Agony
Theatres des Vampires - Nightbreed of Macabria
Virgin Black - Elegant and Dying
(more keyboard focused than Sombre Romantic which is more string focused)

Jan 25, 2006 at 9:28 AM Post #869 of 2,645
Thanks for the recommendations Enverxis.

radicaltothemax, Since Dimmu Borgir is one of my favorite bands, and EDT is one album I haven't listened to in a while, I will give it a spin and see what I can come up with for suggestions.

Jan 25, 2006 at 9:58 AM Post #870 of 2,645
thanks to Metal-Archives I found out that Shape of Despair - Shape of Despair was a Best of Compilation (after 3 albums???) no thanks .
So I went for Shades Of...

and decided to change the Silentium to Altum instead of Sufferion, as I prefer to start closer to the beginning of the artists catalogue.

incoming CDs

After Forever - Invisible Circles
Darzamat - In the Opium of Black Veil
Delight - Eternity
Elend - Sunwar the Dead
Opera IX - The Black Opera
Shape of Despair - Shades Of...
Silentium - Altum

will do another write up similar to my last one once theyre all in, high expectations for most of them
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back