Darkest Desires Part V
Jan 31, 2006 at 4:47 AM Post #886 of 2,645
got my order from Sonic Cathedral today, fast shipping as per usual.

they also sent me a promo of Lullacry - Vol. 4 (all tracks), I already have this album (albeit the russian release), although I'll keep it around.

and John kindly burnt me a copy of Bloodflowerz - 7 Benedictions...7 Maledictions, which is an interesting listen, in the vein of Lullacry, Sinergy, etc

decided to try After Forever - Invisible Circles first, curious to see what everyone is complaining about .... truth be it, there is no reason at all really.
Sure, its different to Decipher because the Arabic theme and Mark Jansen style of music is gone, what we have instead is a dark power metal sound, less crunchy but more precise riffing than their latest album, present bass and drumming, vocals probably best offered so far (by singer Floor Jansen) and same grunts and clean vocals offered on the latest album. Although It does sound marginally similar to Decipher.
The songwriting I find is spectacular, concept album about a 14 year old girl living in a disfunctional family, something which may not appeal to a wide audience. After the first listen to this album I think this actually may be their best album ... not their worst.

I certainly found that interesting, just goes to show that I should ignore reviews completely
biggrin.gif

Jan 31, 2006 at 1:05 PM Post #887 of 2,645
Keep us posted.....let me know when you find something as good as
-Galadriel
-Elegeion

Those were great finds!

Also similar to Galadriel get some early Graveworm (Italian not German group)
-Daylight's Gone / Cresent Moon EP bonus
-Angels Reach the Beauty
-Source of Malice

NP: Hellveto - Stos (I must have 8-9 Hellveto albums now, all great)

Quick check here is my Hellveto collection:
Stos
Shadow of Blue
Prelude to Dying
Zemsta
Klatwa
Blakagir
Medieval Scream
Autumnal Night
Arms of Kurpian Phantom

Feb 2, 2006 at 7:59 PM Post #890 of 2,645
Enverxis,
I'd defnitely like to hear your thoughts on Delight - Eternity when you get around to it... Initially I preferred it to Artrosis - Fetish, but it doesn't seem to have the staying power that Fetish has had. Fetish definitely has more going on, so it seems to be keeping my interest more.

Feb 2, 2006 at 8:21 PM Post #891 of 2,645
Quote:

Originally Posted by en480c4
Enverxis,
I'd defnitely like to hear your thoughts on Delight - Eternity when you get around to it... Initially I preferred it to Artrosis - Fetish, but it doesn't seem to have the staying power that Fetish has had. Fetish definitely has more going on, so it seems to be keeping my interest more.

I've had that Delight CD for long time but never play it.........not one of my favs, Galadriel is much better for instance.

Steel
If I didn't have so many In Flames albums already I might be buyer of new CD, but perhaps best to spend money on new groups to collection..........

Feb 3, 2006 at 5:13 AM Post #892 of 2,645
Quote:

Originally Posted by DarkAngel
Keep us posted.....let me know when you find something as good as
-Galadriel
-Elegeion

Those were great finds!

Here's one

Chalice
They have three albums

Chronicles of Dysphoria (which I have)
An Illusion to the Temporary Real
Augmented

Albums can be bought from Sonic Cathedral, Red Stream ... (so far that I know of) and of course their label Modern Invasion Music.

I first heard these guys a few years ago when I wasnt into this kind of music, they were the first female vocal metal band I ever heard, I had no idea they were Australian until last year, got the same album I got at a LAN those years ago now, and I really like it
smily_headphones1.gif

They dont really sound like anyone else, the timing of the vocals and music doesnt really mirror any band I have heard before, but its kind of doomy with violins, keyboards (actual playing, not noises), occasional pipe organ and angelic female vocals. Easily recognisable drums though, the Chalice drummer did studio drums for Elegeion.

The band has an album due for release 2006, keeping things quiet like Virgin Black haha.

Feb 4, 2006 at 9:02 AM Post #894 of 2,645
Just bought my tickets to go see Opeth live Feb. 17 in Towson MD tonight. They even have Dark Tranquility opening for them, so it should be an absolutely amazing show.

Also bought Edge of Sanity - Crimson, Dan Swano - Moontower, Dark Tranquility - Damage Done and Character, Death - The Sounds of Perseverance CD +DVD Limited Edition, and Tristania - World of Glass.

Feb 4, 2006 at 1:07 PM Post #895 of 2,645
Quote:

Originally Posted by cetoole
Just bought my tickets to go see Opeth live Feb. 17 in Towson MD tonight. They even have Dark Tranquility opening for them, so it should be an absolutely amazing show.

Also bought Edge of Sanity - Crimson, Dan Swano - Moontower, Dark Tranquility - Damage Done and Character, Death - The Sounds of Perseverance CD +DVD Limited Edition, and Tristania - World of Glass.

Great stuff you got there........let us know what you think

I always though "perseverance" best album by Death and one of the greatest albums ever made in death metal genre.

BYW what are you doing posting at Head-Fi 4AM in morning, get some sleep man

Feb 4, 2006 at 10:32 PM Post #896 of 2,645
Quote:

Originally Posted by eyeteeth
I just might take a peek in the maddeningly overpriced HMV or eBay it from a quick shipper.

Stormblast @ HMV= $39.99 + 15% tax = $45.98 CAD = $40.16 USD

No sale!
rolleyes.gif

Feb 4, 2006 at 10:44 PM Post #898 of 2,645
Strangely that link doesn't work all the time. Might have something to do with direct linking. Copy paste it to another windows or something, and it might work. Yes, that place sucks for webhosting, sigh.

Feb 5, 2006 at 1:05 AM Post #900 of 2,645
Quote:

Originally Posted by eyeteeth
Stormblast @ HMV= $39.99 + 15% tax = $45.98 CAD = $40.16 USD

No sale!
rolleyes.gif

I tossed a bid down on it EDIT:won with $15.50

Finally getting around to flipping through my issue of The Absolute Sound (annual Golden Ears issue) I thought one of the recommendations rung a bell and sure enough our own Nacher wrote of Nile - Annihilation Of The Wicked. I think it's very cool that TAS can recommend such music.

Yes I've ordered it $12.51 including shipping.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nacher
Some new purchases :

Nile - Annihilation Of The Wicked

Great, just great. Maybe not as epic and multilayered as previous album, but otherwise this is a pure death/dark metal masterpiece. Great production, interesting and creative songs and insane playing. For me what separates Nile from tons of faceless and impersonal death metal acts is the fact that Nile really has some atmosphere and mood on their albums. I actually watched Alien vs Predator on DVD yesterday (yes, ****** movie, I know, but I got it for 3 euros new in a bargain) and when I was browsing through the menus etc, I had Nile still playing on the background. It fit the "Majestic, ancient pyramid with evil forces in it"-theme a hundred times better than the film soundtrack did at any point. This stuff is _very_ brutal. The veeery low vocals need some time to get used to, but after that they work like charm. Also, the band has a new drummer, who possibly sets some kind of unoffical bets per minute record for dark metal in this album. Completely unbeliveable drumwork, which is like two times faster and ten times more technical than anything recorded by Hellhammer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back