Darkest Desires Part V
Jan 25, 2006 at 11:58 AM Post #871 of 2,645
Quote:

Originally Posted by Enverxis
thanks to Metal-Archives I found out that Shape of Despair - Shape of Despair was a Best of Compilation (after 3 albums???) no thanks .
So I went for Shades Of...

and decided to change the Silentium to Altum instead of Sufferion, as I prefer to start closer to the beginning of the artists catalogue.

incoming CDs

After Forever - Invisible Circles
Arcana - Le Serpent Rogue
Chalice - Chronicles of Dysphoria
Darzamat - In the Opium of Black Veil
Delight - Eternity
Elend - Sunwar the Dead
Opera IX - The Black Opera
Shape of Despair - Shades Of...
Silentium - Altum

will do another write up similar to my last one once theyre all in, high expectations for most of them
smily_headphones1.gif

Shape of Despair - Shape of Despair is not a best of compilation. It has one new track plus additional / demo versions of older tracks. So it's 100% unreleased material, including one completely new track, but still, get this only when you already have the all three main albums.

Once again, great set of dark metal CD:s you have there. I'm pretty sure you won't be dissapointed
smily_headphones1.gif

Radicaltothemax : Start with getting more Dimmu cd:s. Basically everything they made after för all tid is good. Then continue to ie. Emperor (black), Shape of Despair (doom), Throes of Dawn (dark), Swallow the Sun (doom), Thyrane (black), Tristania (gothic/B&B), Cradle of Filth (black/gothic. Get Dusk and Her Embrace!)... Even though Opeth dosen't really use synths, make sure you get their every album, hehe.

Edit : Whoops, you had Emperor listed alredy. Well, get something new from them. They have somewhat better SQ.

Jan 25, 2006 at 1:05 PM Post #872 of 2,645
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nacher
Shape of Despair - Shape of Despair is not a best of compilation. It has one new track plus additional / demo versions of older tracks. So it's 100% unreleased material, including one completely new track, but still, get this only when you already have the all three main albums.

Once again, great set of dark metal CD:s you have there. I'm pretty sure you won't be dissapointed
smily_headphones1.gif

Radicaltothemax : Start with getting more Dimmu cd:s. Basically everything they made after för all tid is good. Then continue to ie. Emperor (black), Shape of Despair (doom), Throes of Dawn (dark), Swallow the Sun (doom), Thyrane (black), Tristania (gothic/B&B), Cradle of Filth (black/gothic. Get Dusk and Her Embrace!)... Even though Opeth dosen't really use synths, make sure you get their every album, hehe.

Edit : Whoops, you had Emperor listed alredy. Well, get something new from them. They have somewhat better SQ.

Nacher
Purchased new version of Dimmu Stormblast CD/DVD will arrive soon.

Radical
groups with similar dark keyboard sound to Dimmu EDT:
-Dimmu Bogir (more)
-Old Man's Child (all)
-Tristania (veil + Widow)
-Nokturnal Mortum (early works lunar poetry + vampirelord + twilightfall)
-Therion (runes + theli + vovin)
-Graveland (all)
-Summoning (all)
-Satyricon (shadowthrone + nemesis)
-Dissection (storm)
-Vinterland (last chapter)
-Thyrane (all)
-Limbonic Art (dimentia + illusions)
-Cradle of Filth (dusk + lovecraft)
-Graveworm (mailce + angel beauty)

thats enough to start, many more
tongue.gif

Jan 25, 2006 at 3:55 PM Post #873 of 2,645
Quote:

Sounds exactly like the upcoming Draconian album "The Burning Halo"

Jan 26, 2006 at 8:34 AM Post #874 of 2,645
Silentium - Seducia is now released, although so far its only availible at 2 places in Finland (linked from their homepage).

Nacher should be interested in this
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 26, 2006 at 2:25 PM Post #875 of 2,645
I bought the new Silentium single some time ago, and wasn't really impressed with it. Once again they have changed their style, as they tend to do with every album. It was more mellow and based on female vocals. It just felt a bit too pop/goth for my tastes. Don't know if the full album is somewhat different.

Latley I have been exclusively listening to Thyrane - Travesty of Heavenly Essence. First Travesty felt a bit medicore, as before you knew it, all the 11 tracks were over and I hardly remembered anything from what I just had heard. However, with more listening, Travesty has seriously strated to rock. Every track seems to have one or more killer synth+guitar hooks, and the guitarwork is great. Heavy, fast and tehnical, like a mix beetween trash and blackmetal. The previous albums had a bit too much repetition, but you really don't have time to get bored on Travesty. It's like Dimmu EDT with every track cut in half of it's original lenght.

Jan 26, 2006 at 2:53 PM Post #876 of 2,645
Quote:

I bought the new Silentium single some time ago, and wasn't really impressed with it. Once again they have changed their style, as they tend to do with every album. It was more mellow and based on female vocals. It just felt a bit too pop/goth for my tastes. Don't know if the full album is somewhat different.

Hmmm, well the cover/name of the album certainly reflects the female aspect of things. Seems alot of bands are going that way these days...

Theatres des Vampires for instance

Jan 26, 2006 at 11:14 PM Post #877 of 2,645
Darkthrone - Too Old Too Cold

Not your fathers Darkthrone.

Though it does have moments of old Darkthrone. For instance, the sound is back to that recorded in two rooms sound. You know, the band is one room the microphone in another. The wall of guitar noise is more a translucent window than a wall.

Vocals are different than I am accustomed to from these guys. Not bad, not good, different. The cover of Siouxie and the Banshees song Love in a Void is amazing. I've never heard Culto actually attempt singing before.
eek.gif
Graveyard person is more like old tyme Darkthrone. On the title song, I can pretty much make out all the lyrics, and they're not nice.
evil_smiley.gif

There is a guest appearance on one song by Grutle of Enslaved.

Overall, the sound quality is slightly worse than we have come know for these guys. When I crank it up to thicken the thin guitars, I get some vocal highs that hurt my ears.

Quote:

Everything is bigger than you think.
... and you are smaller.

very_evil_smiley.gif

Jan 27, 2006 at 8:32 PM Post #878 of 2,645
Quote:

Originally Posted by DarkAngel
Nacher
Purchased new version of Dimmu Stormblast CD/DVD will arrive soon.

New Stormblast just arrived am watching DVD now.....OMG!
Let me set stage, 57" high definition TV with 1080i upconversion DVD player, fabulous picture quality for 4 live tracks at Ozzfest. Too bad performance is during daylight hours and not at night.

Galder yessssssssssss!
Great shots of Galder wailing away on the weapon of choice for any black metal warrior ......... black Jackson Randy Rhoads Signature shark tooth inlay, he has lots of stage presence, skilled axeman, and real asset to Dimmu horde.

Shagrath
Spews forth the venomous black tomes like a posessed demon.....check those tatoos on arms/shoulder!

Huge drum kit but very few shots of drummer attcking the skins, anyway great bonus disc!

Jan 28, 2006 at 4:14 AM Post #879 of 2,645
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr.PD

Though it does have moments of old Darkthrone. For instance, the sound is back to that recorded in two rooms sound. You know, the band is one room the microphone in another. The wall of guitar noise is more a translucent window than a wall.

Vocals are different than I am accustomed to from these guys. Not bad, not good, different. The cover of Siouxie and the Banshees song Love in a Void is amazing. I've never heard Culto actually attempt singing before.
eek.gif
Graveyard person is more like old tyme Darkthrone. On the title song, I can pretty much make out all the lyrics, and they're not nice.
evil_smiley.gif

Overall, the sound quality is slightly worse than we have come know for these guys. When I crank it up to thicken the thin guitars, I get some vocal highs that hurt my ears.

very_evil_smiley.gif

I think it's Fenriz doing the clean vocals on the Siouxie song.

Jan 28, 2006 at 10:02 AM Post #880 of 2,645
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr.PD

eek.gif
evil_smiley.gif

very_evil_smiley.gif

Sounds like fun. Do you know if there's stuff on it that won't be on the CD release?

Quote:

New Stormblast just arrived am watching DVD now.....

anyway great bonus disc!

If I can find it at a decent price I think I will.

Jan 28, 2006 at 12:29 PM Post #881 of 2,645
Quote:

New Stormblast just arrived am watching DVD now.....OMG!
Let me set stage, 57" high definition TV with 1080i upconversion DVD player, fabulous picture quality for 4 live tracks at Ozzfest. Too bad performance is during daylight hours and not at night.

Galder yessssssssssss!
Great shots of Galder wailing away on the weapon of choice for any black metal warrior ......... black Jackson Randy Rhoads Signature shark tooth inlay, he has lots of stage presence, skilled axeman, and real asset to Dimmu horde.

Shagrath
Spews forth the venomous black tomes like a posessed demon.....check those tatoos on arms/shoulder!

Huge drum kit but very few shots of drummer attcking the skins, anyway great bonus disc!

Hahhah, great post! The DVD rocked, yes. Too bad the set was in daylight, but still the lightshows etc were cool, not to mention the flawless picture quailty and good sound. I'm glad I have compassionate neighbours...

Jan 28, 2006 at 1:17 PM Post #882 of 2,645
Quote:

Originally Posted by eyeteeth
If I can find it at a decent price I think I will.

The End got it in stock few days ago........place your order now!

The sound quality on Dimmu Stormblast sets new standards for dark metal genre, you can hear every drum cymbal brush and shimmer decay. There are acoustic guitar sections where you can hear fingers plucking strings etc, very clear and detailed which only better shows the musician skills of these dark warriors.

Overall this was a great idea, wonder if any other classic dark metal albums will get same remaster CD/DVD re-issue?

Jan 28, 2006 at 2:01 PM Post #883 of 2,645
Quote:

The End got it in stock few days ago........place your order now!

I just might take a peek in the maddeningly overpriced HMV or eBay it from a quick shipper. I haven't ordered from the End in over a year. They increased the shipping cost to Canada and were too slow to deliver to begin with. I'll eBay from Florida and it's with me in a week.

Quote:

Overall this was a great idea, wonder if any other classic dark metal albums will get same remaster CD/DVD re-issue?

I always thought it a cool idea for many genres but it must not be because it doesn't really happen. Are there two examples? This Dimmu and the other that band PD likes but the name escapes me now. Crown In Terror?

Jan 29, 2006 at 5:30 AM Post #884 of 2,645
Quote:

Well Epica and After Forever's latest offerings were also released on SACD, which I believe is a first for dark metal too
wink.gif

although since I dont have an SACD player ... useless for me.

Jan 29, 2006 at 5:59 AM Post #885 of 2,645
Quote:

Originally Posted by duff138
I think it's Fenriz doing the clean vocals on the Siouxie song.

It's hard for me to tell. The credits say both guys on vocals for that song. Thanks for clearing that up.

I am sure glad the End got in Stormblast right after I placed my order.
rolleyes.gif

I guess it will have to wait a while.

eyeteeth, you are thinking of The Crown. They rerecorded Crowned In Terror to Crowned Unholy. But they did theirs with different lead vocalist.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back