Darkest Desires Part V
Jan 22, 2006 at 1:39 PM Post #841 of 2,645
Enverxis : Emperor is one of the most majestic sounding black metal bands in existence. You have to give them a try, though they are quite extreme. Very advanced and complex.

Edit : Eyeteeth, what bands do Tenhi or Throes of Dawn really sound similar to? I find them very original.

About stormblåst 2005, it has been completely re-arranged and re-recorded. Some of the tracks have changed so much that they are almost hard to recognize. The sound quality is one of the best modern blackmetal productions I have ever heard. Quite like DCA, but smoother and more bass. Especially the drumming of Hellhammer is fantastic, and totally on a different level than what can be heard on the original record. One thing I really like about the 2005 version is that it sounds a bit "live". It doesn't feel like every note is planned and fixed in the studio. Especially the drums sound quite improvised.

Jan 22, 2006 at 1:41 PM Post #842 of 2,645
Quote:

Originally Posted by Enverxis
Morten is doing it on Beyond the Veil
smily_headphones1.gif
[FYI i think Dani Filth sucks
smily_headphones1.gif
]

Ihsahn, I have heard a little bit of him on the Peccatum - Lost in Reverie CD, although not enough to give an opinion, but yes from what I remember he was good (although I doubt I would be interested in Emperor)

Oh I see. I misunderstood, I thought BTV had the annoying vocalist.
Oh yeah Dani can give a headache.

Emperor's In the Nightside Eclipse should be heard whether you care for it or not afterwards. I love it. I hate the treble screeching SQ but what can you do. I also find the lyrics quite a bit better than others on a poetic scale, more existential/universal.

Jan 22, 2006 at 1:51 PM Post #843 of 2,645
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nacher
Enverxis : Emperor is one of the most majestic sounding black metal bands in existence. You have to give them a try, though they are quite extreme. Very advanced and complex.

Emperor - Nightside Eclipse
Is on the very short list of greatest black metal albums ever made, follow up "anthems to welkin" not far behind......listen to Nacher he speaks the truth. Grim norse BM of the highest order

Since Nacher mentioned it, I really like Thyrfing albums before album "Vansinnesvisor" pagan viking tomes of the highest order similar to Falkenbach, Bergthron, Himinbjorg, early Enslaved etc..........I have these:
Thyrfing - Thyrfing s/t
Thyrfing - Valdr Galda
Thyrfing - Urkraft

Jan 22, 2006 at 2:09 PM Post #844 of 2,645
Quote:

Originally Posted by DarkAngel
Emperor - Nightside Eclipse

Grim norse BM of the highest order

Advertising labels for sales.

Emperor looks to be black metal visually but that's about it, musically they're very un-black metal for me. Maybe we all think differently of the same bands.

Jan 22, 2006 at 2:20 PM Post #845 of 2,645
Quote:

Edit : Eyeteeth, what bands do Tenhi or Throes of Dawn really sound similar to? I find them very original.

About stormblåst 2005, it has been completely re-arranged and re-recorded. Some of the tracks have changed so much that they are almost hard to recognize. The sound quality is one of the best modern blackmetal productions I have ever heard. Quite like DCA, but smoother and more bass. Especially the drumming of Hellhammer is fantastic, and totally on a different level than what can be heard on the original record. One thing I really like about the 2005 version is that it sounds a bit "live". It doesn't feel like every note is planned and fixed in the studio. Especially the drums sound quite improvised.

I will get the new Sblast then. I wasn't going to based upon the old one. I don't have high hopes for SQ, with DCA a 5 of 10 (CD/vinyl & DVD-A all same mastering), I'll guess Sblast to be 6 of 10. I'll cross my fingers and hope I'm wrong.

It's not that Tenhi or Throes of Dawn sound like anyone I can name, it's that they don't sound unfamiliar or new.

Jan 22, 2006 at 2:24 PM Post #846 of 2,645
Quote:

Enverxis : Lumsk having finnish lyrics? Uhm? The band is norwegian and I can't see anyone with a finnish name in the band.

Sorry my mistake, Norweign
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 22, 2006 at 2:25 PM Post #847 of 2,645
Quote:

Originally Posted by eyeteeth
I will get the new Sblast then. I wasn't going to based upon the old one. I don't have high hopes for SQ, with DCA a 5 of 10 (CD/vinyl & DVD-A all same mastering), I'll guess Sblast to be 6 of 10. I'll cross my fingers and hope I'm wrong.

It's not that Tenhi or Throes of Dawn sound like anyone I can name, it's that they don't sound unfamiliar or new.

Now, I find this a bit odd. I suppose you are looking for something very, very unique and new. Did you try Ram-Zet - Intra? I do like the sound quality of DCA; but maybe tastes regarding SQ differ. Stormblåst 2005 is closer to DCA than original Stormblåst, so if you like DCA, you will like SB 2005 as well and vice versa.

Jan 22, 2006 at 2:30 PM Post #848 of 2,645
Quote:

Originally Posted by DarkAngel
Check out Cadaveria's former group Opera IX, they have great album called "black opera" which was her last with this group.

B00004W5D3.01._SCMZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Sonic Cathedral have this CD in stock, might whack it in with my next order
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 22, 2006 at 2:44 PM Post #849 of 2,645
Quote:

Now, I find this a bit odd. I suppose you are looking for something very, very unique and new. Did you try Ram-Zet - Intra? I do like the sound quality of DCA; but maybe tastes regarding SQ differ. Stormblåst 2005 is closer to DCA than original Stormblåst, so if you like DCA, you will like SB 2005 as well and vice versa.

I listened to throes_of_dawn_vertigo & tenhi_kuoppa. Yes I guess unless something leaps out on first listen I'm stuck with unexcitement which isn't fair but I heard conventional stylings common to the genres.

Listened to Desolate_Ever_After & Black_Star also.
http://peccatum.com/

I'm intrigued.
cool.gif

DCA is a 5 on an absolute scale. In the Nightside eclipse is a 2 (there's always worse somewhere) and something personally unlistenable like Allison Krauss or an audiophile showcase disc being a 10. Something superb like Wilco or Cash/American recordings a 8/9. DCA is OK just too compressed. Mayhem and Burzum are better sounding from a compression angle. COF's D&HE is a very nice 7. At least here that's what I get. Could be different elsewhere.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 22, 2006 at 2:46 PM Post #850 of 2,645
Quote:

Advertising labels for sales.

Emperor looks to be black metal visually but that's about it, musically they're very un-black metal for me. Maybe we all think differently of the same bands.

I don't think Emperor even "looks to be" black metal.
Everytime you guys talk about Night Side Eclipse, I pull it out and listen to it. Everytime I listen to it, I hate it.
icon10.gif
I like the music, it's the vocals I can't handle. I like Dani Filth's screeching much much better
eek.gif
icon10.gif

Oh, hey. The End has the new Darkthrone EP.

Jan 22, 2006 at 2:58 PM Post #851 of 2,645
Quote:

Did you try Ram-Zet - Intra?

Just listened to final thrill, left behind, ballet, enchanted, And innocence. I don't know. Speed metal/Geddy Lee singing. Sorry.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr.PD
I don't think Emperor even "looks to be" black metal.
Everytime you guys talk about Night Side Eclipse, I pull it out and listen to it. Everytime I listen to it, I hate it.
icon10.gif
I like the music, it's the vocals I can't handle. I like Dani Filth's screeching much much better
eek.gif
icon10.gif

Oh, hey. The End has the new Darkthrone EP.

Curse you!
icon10.gif

It's a good thing we're all scattered around the globe and not under the same roof or else there'd be a big brawl breaking out.
icon10.gif

Jan 22, 2006 at 3:17 PM Post #852 of 2,645
Just finished up ordering Darkthrone - Too Old Too Cold from The End for $9.49. I also added in a couple old CDs to fill out collections with like Children Of Bodom - Tokyo Warhearts and Therion - Vovin.

I have been giving Therion - Theli very much air time lately and I wanted more symphonic stuff. Deggial is okay, but not quite the same movie score style as Theli. I'm hoping Vovin is more like Theli. Lumeria and Sirius B aren't even in the same league for me.

Theli always invokes images of the movie theatre back in the 60's when I was a kid. It must be certain tones, or combinations of notes that make this pop up. It sure ain't the music. Anyboyd have a recommendation for more symphony/opera/orchestra stuff along the lines of Therion - Theli??????

edit; eyeteeth, who is Geddy Lee? I like speed metal.
icon10.gif

Curse me for liking Dani? Oh that hurts.
tongue.gif

Yep, there could be a brawl...............

Jan 22, 2006 at 3:36 PM Post #853 of 2,645
Quote:

Just finished up ordering Darkthrone - Too Old Too Cold from The End for $9.49.

Don't forget to report back.

Quote:

Anyboyd have a recommendation for more symphony/opera/orchestra stuff along the lines of Therion - Theli??????

I could overdub some classical onto In the Nightside Eclipse if you like.
evil_smiley.gif

Quote:

edit; eyeteeth, who is Geddy Lee? I like speed metal.
icon10.gif

Curse me for liking Dani? Oh that hurts.
tongue.gif

Yep, there could be a brawl...............

Curse for not liking In the Nightside Eclipse.

Geddy Lee castrati of Rush

Geddy-Lee.jpg

Jan 22, 2006 at 3:53 PM Post #854 of 2,645
Quote:

Don't forget to report back.

Geddy Lee castrati of Rush

OH! THAT Geddy Lee.
eek.gif
No thanks

Quote:

Curse for not liking In the Nightside Eclipse.

If it's any consolation, I do like Emperor - Anthems to the Welkin.
tongue.gif

Jan 23, 2006 at 2:50 AM Post #855 of 2,645
Quote:

symphony/opera/orchestra stuff along the lines of Therion - Theli??????

Haggard - Symphonic Death Metal mixed with Medieval Music with the occasional female vocals
Virgin Black Symphonic Doom Metal with male operatic vocals and the occasional extreme vocal passage (although only the one vocalist)
Theatres des Vampires Symphonic Gothic Metal, earlier stuff more Black Metal, newest album contains female lead vocals of Scarlet whereas 2000-2004 albums are male lead vocals of Alexander and female vocals of Scarlet and some other girl.
Tristania World of Glass only, has this big symphonic feeling to it unlike the other albums (Ashes more avantgarde, the others more just straight B&B)
Silentium have only heard samples from Sufferion, the Harmatia of Prudence but from that these guys make symphonic metal with doomy and sorrowful overtones with female and male clean vocals, string instruments can be heard throughout the whole songs. Concept album makers as well.
Epica I would suggest The Phantom Agony, really symphonic album, lead female vocals, male grunts/rasping and excellent choir passages, dont really recommend second album Consign to Oblivion, more bombastic, keyboard effects, still alot of choirs though.
After Forever Latest Album Remagine more Prog/Power than Gothic unlike last 3 albums, with symphonic elements now as well, very excellent choir passages on some tracks whereas other tracks are more like Rock

might also like to try
Autumn Tears no guitars, lush string instruments and ambient effects from a few ex-members of Maudlin of the Well and some others, I only have Eclipse, but once the dosh comes flowing in at a higher rate I will be grabbing their triple concept album Love Poems for Dying Children I, II and III
Elend no guitars again, just straight classical instruments with some excellent singing, only heard samples, grabbing an album soon
ArcanaNeoclassical music, conceptual albums about emotions of the 1300s etc

Users who are viewing this thread

Back