Ooooooooppppppppppsssssssss!
KR you are right, I confused Carcass with Cannibal, I have:
Carcass - Heartwork

Some last minute stocking stuffers ordered from The End:

Immortal - sons of northern darkness
Katatonia - brave murder day + december souls
Limbonic Art - abhorrence dementia + epitome of illusions
Empyrium - wintersunset + songs of moors & misty fields
Moonsorrow - voimasta ja (nacher begged us to buy this months ago, just now following up on this)

Will report as usual when these arrive and are given a proper listen, will they arrive before Xmas...........

Mr Pd
I didn't realize you had all COF, you don't waste time.
very_evil_smiley.gif

If anyone has some Cds to report on don't hold back.

Dec 19, 2002 at 9:54 PM Post #62 of 1,066
Quote:

Originally posted by DarkAngel

Mr Pd
I didn't realize you had all COF, you don't waste time.
very_evil_smiley.gif

DA; I had about half of them until yesterday 12/18. While in Boise ID I picked up Live Bait for the Dead and Bitter Suites. When we got home there was Dusk and Midian in the mail box. That filled out the collection.
I also had The Crown Deathrace King waiting in the mailbox along with Darzamat-Flames of Black Art. Plus I picked up two of Century Media's Identity cd's number 2 and number 5 in Boise. These are various artists cd's. We listened to #5 on the trip home. First listen was good, I will listen again later. Some of the artists are Iced Earth, Lacuna Coil, Katatonia, The Gathering, TOT,etc.
#2 has groups like Moonspell, 454 Big Block(?), Emperor, My Own Victim, etc. This may not be as good.

I'll keep you posted.

Dec 20, 2002 at 2:07 AM Post #63 of 1,066
Well, I still haven't listen to all the Moonspell CDs yet, but I can tell you that

Under The Moonspell
Wolfheart
Irreligious
Sin - Pecado

are all freaking awesome and get my thumbs up, the 2Econd Skin EP is really great as well.

Under The Moonspell is much heavier than any of their other albums, this is black metal combine with middle eastern folk and female vocals. It's an amazing release, but it is a EP not a full album, so keep that in mind if you want to get this from BlackMetal.com

Wolfheart is a classic and a must have for all fans of dark music, my version and newer versions (i think) includes the bonus track Ataegina. It's a great mix of Black Metal and Gothic Metal.

Irreligious was the album that really put them on the map, great rocking album with no weaknesses, but this time it's all mostly gothic metal, the extreme vocals are used very sparely.

Sin - Pecado is completely different from the 1st three "metal" albums and Moonspell takes on a new sound, and it's weird enough to not sound mainstream. Awesome song writing and a very under rated album, I like this album a lot. My version also includes the 2Econd Skin pt.2 EP. Stand out tracks includes a cover of their own song from Wolfheart done in the new style "Erotic Alchemy (Per-version)" it sounds just as good as the metal version, just different. Also included is a new track "Sacred" which is a cover of a Depeche Mode song, it sounds great done by Moonspell.

I will give you my thoughts on The Butterfly Effect and
Darkness And Hope at a later date.

cd.gif

Dec 20, 2002 at 1:57 PM Post #64 of 1,066
I have noticed that Moonspell occasionally has middle eastern touches in their music. Not sure if it is religious thing or perhaps just Moorish culture influence in Spain/Portugal seeping into music.

The singer has very deep natural voice, even though vocals are clean they can sound dark and menacing when needed. I would recommend people definitely get 1st two CDs, excellent gothic metal (fans of Type O Negative)
-wolfheart
-irreligious

The newest CD, darkness and hope, while enjoyable doesn't really break any new ground for the group and would be additional purchase for true fans once they already had 1st two mentioned above.

KR
What exactly does Sin CD sound like, is it really a change of style for Moonspell?

Dec 20, 2002 at 9:02 PM Post #65 of 1,066
Quote:

KR
What exactly does Sin CD sound like, is it really a change of style for Moonspell?

It's not metal at all, it difficult to discribe, no other band sounds like this.

Note The Butterfly Effect and Darkness And Hope, do not share this sound. I am guessing metal fans freaked out when this album 1st came out and Moonspell, with The Butterfly Effect and Darkness And Hope started to back pedal due to the backlash. This is unfortute, since it's such a great album. You may like it as well, since you musical taste are diverse enough to appreciate it, as long as you don't expect anything like Under The Moonspell, Wolfheart, and Irreligious! I think you would love Under The Moonspell, but it's really short and it cost as much as a full album new, I would suggest searching ebay for a used copy or a discounted one, since it's worth getting. But, not at full album prices!

Dec 22, 2002 at 7:31 AM Post #66 of 1,066
I have on order from Blackmetal.com; Witchery Symphony For the Devil (US edition) and OPERA IX Maleventum . I went ahead and ordered that Witchery cd even though I am nervous about it being a US edition. I don't really know what that means.

DarkAngel; Do you still recommend Lacuna Coil?
Also, while I was researching the original thread I noticed that when you got COF Lovecraft & Witch Hearts that you mentioned a poster. I have that cd double and I got no poster. Mine is in a simple jewel case. Is yours a different version?
I feel cheated
mad.gif

Dec 22, 2002 at 12:42 PM Post #67 of 1,066
Quote:

Originally posted by Mr.PD
I have on order from Blackmetal.com; Witchery Symphony For the Devil (US edition) and OPERA IX Maleventum . I went ahead and ordered that Witchery cd even though I am nervous about it being a US edition. I don't really know what that means.

DarkAngel; Do you still recommend Lacuna Coil?
Also, while I was researching the original thread I noticed that when you got COF Lovecraft & Witch Hearts that you mentioned a poster. I have that cd double and I got no poster. Mine is in a simple jewel case. Is yours a different version?
I feel cheated
mad.gif

PD
I am sure you will really like Witchery Cd, it is essential purchase for me, I would not worry about US edition which mine may be also.
I might mention that for Opera IX the best Cd is "black opera" , I am listening to "maleventum" right now and it is pretty good but a slight step down from "black opera" I am afraid, it does have some interesting tracks however including one with bagpipes. Cadaveria was singer for "black opera" and left group before "maleventum"

There is very cool/strange poster in the "slip cover" version of COF L&W which I got from The End when CD first came out. On one side is lyrics for all songs and the other side is 13x18 poster of nude woman standing before this huge mutation satan creature arising from a firery pit. Appears to be same artist/style used for CD art only this is way over the top, pure EVIL
very_evil_smiley.gif

As far as Lacuna Coil even though I really like Cristina Scabbia I must say the music never reaches a level which will make them top group for me. It is pretty much straight gothic rock/metal that is above average but not great or exciting. I keep thinking someday they will break out and make killer CD, still waiting. I do have 3 Cds by them, but won't buy more unless they get much better.

I have many new CDs coming from The End that have not been discussed here before, stay tuned.

Dec 22, 2002 at 4:19 PM Post #68 of 1,066
DarkAngel; I didn't get the edition of Lovecraft with that image. But the way you describe it, it sounds like the image that is on the front of my wifes COF t-shirt. The women is standing in a circle with her arms raised, facing this huge firey satanic thing. My wife really likes that shirt, on the back it says "Hell is what you make it". It is a cool shirt. It's kinda hard to make out on their website. I tried linking right to the image but it didn't work. If you go to their website and check out the "Hell is what you make it" Tshirt you can see if it's the same image.

Dec 22, 2002 at 5:00 PM Post #70 of 1,066
Quote:

Yea, thats the image I have on poster.

If you/wife wear that shirt in public people will think you are very strange I'm afraid.
frown.gif

She wears it to a court ordered group session and actually just about every where. I have the Lovecraft Tshirt, most people like it quite well.

My wife says "So what's your point?"

Dec 22, 2002 at 6:28 PM Post #71 of 1,066
Quote:

Yea, thats the image I have on poster.

If you/wife wear that shirt in public people will think you are very strange I'm afraid.
frown.gif

Depends where you live. Where I am, I can wear anything and no one will give me a second look.

Dec 22, 2002 at 7:07 PM Post #72 of 1,066
I got this from an e-mail :

Quote:

GLENN DANZIG ANIMATED ON CARTOON NETWORK

That's right, GLENN DANZIG will appear as himself, DEC. 29th on the
CARTOON
NETWORK series "AQUA TEEN HUNGER FORCE" Chistmas Episode entitled
"CYBERNETIC GHOST of CHRISTMAS PAST from the FUTURE"
check local listing for airtimes or go to the CARTOONNETWORK.com
website.

Also DANZIG-VEROTIK.com will have more information in the New Year on
BLACKEST
OF THE BLACK, Asian Tour Dates, and
BLACK ARIA II.

I love AQUA TEEN HUNGER FORCE, it's one of the greatest shows ever, it comes on Sunday nights on Adult Swim. I can't wait to see this, it should be on Dec. 29 11:15 p.m. eastern time
very_evil_smiley.gif

Dec 23, 2002 at 3:39 AM Post #73 of 1,066
US Opeth Tour will begin Jan 2003 with Paradise lost and Lacuna coil!

Songtitles for upcoming album Damnation to be released March/April 2003 :

1. Windowpane
2. In my time of need
3. Death whispered a lullaby
4. Closure
5. Hope leaves
6. To rid the disease
7. Ending credits
8. Weakness

Dec 23, 2002 at 7:59 PM Post #74 of 1,066
Here are some real "naughty" word posts
Check out some of these classic flame job quotes at bottom of page from a black metal forum site which won Badmouth Awards:

Badmouth Awards

I had to post this after some controversy here regarding using "naughty" words here at Head-Fi. The over the top vehemence of these flames is comical (as long as you aren't the one getting flamed)
cool.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back