"Dark Knight" AD700 Gaming Mod (Lots of Pics!)
Sep 23, 2010 at 7:41 PM Post #65 of 181
I'm in the process of just doing a paint job-- doing all the rewiring seems a bit over my head. I decided on the same colors you did with a shinier silver... Home Depot didn't have much of a selection =(. 

Some of the pieces are a little tricky to take apart, so this should be of some help if you decide to do the same thing:
  1. Where the wings connect to the plastic, it seems like it is impossible to take off, but if you push the upper part of it to where the inside of the headphone would be, it should pop out. You just have to push it in and have it at the right angle.
  2. When you take off the top pads, you will see how that thing is connected.
  3. After you remove the two screws holding it together, slide something inbetween the two parts that seem like they are one, and it should pop off
  4. Make sure you are careful when you remove the silver bolt... there is a tiny pin holding it together and it flies off when you pull it.

That's all I can think of for now... it takes some time but I think it will be worth it! I'll make sure to post some pics.

Sep 23, 2010 at 10:02 PM Post #66 of 181
@ OP
wow man those look crazy way more sleek than the AD700 non mod.
on a side note, is there a way to cord mod the Senn's 448 so they have a detachable cord? i only ask because you seem to have done a fantastic job with those.

Sep 26, 2010 at 3:43 PM Post #67 of 181
It won't let me edit my other post, so here are some last comments:
  1. If you can get your hands on clear spraypaint to coat the silver and black with, get it! I just did ~6 coats of black & silver then let it dry for 24 hours and when I was putting it back together I made some smudges that I don't think would have been made if I did the clear coating
  2. Don't spraypaint the wings unless you're going to drastically change the color... at least the spraypaint I used (plastic bonding) didn't work very well on them.
  3. I did this fit and comfort mod, and it was so worth it. The coax cable (3 ft) and a sponge cost me $5. 
That's all I think... let me know if you have any questions. Thanks op for the idea!

Oct 4, 2010 at 7:10 PM Post #68 of 181

I haven't taken a look at the Senn. 448, but as long as there is space behind the drivers... you can pretty much make ANY headphone with removeable cables.  Just take a look at the mods done to Grado headphones.
Quote:
@ OP
wow man those look crazy way more sleek than the AD700 non mod.
on a side note, is there a way to cord mod the Senn's 448 so they have a detachable cord? i only ask because you seem to have done a fantastic job with those.

Oct 4, 2010 at 7:12 PM Post #69 of 181
Let's see some pics!
smile_phones.gif

Quote:
It won't let me edit my other post, so here are some last comments:
  1. If you can get your hands on clear spraypaint to coat the silver and black with, get it! I just did ~6 coats of black & silver then let it dry for 24 hours and when I was putting it back together I made some smudges that I don't think would have been made if I did the clear coating
  2. Don't spraypaint the wings unless you're going to drastically change the color... at least the spraypaint I used (plastic bonding) didn't work very well on them.
  3. I did this fit and comfort mod, and it was so worth it. The coax cable (3 ft) and a sponge cost me $5. 
That's all I think... let me know if you have any questions. Thanks op for the idea!

Dec 4, 2010 at 3:05 AM Post #70 of 181
Hate to dig up an old thread, but I really wish this tutorial had a little more information on how you made the cable for this mod.  Did I read right that you used a nuetrik body on another 3.5mm connector?  

Dec 13, 2010 at 12:07 AM Post #71 of 181
These are gorgeous. I would love more documentation as well. Particularly with popping off the wings and what to do with the wires.

Dec 13, 2010 at 12:18 AM Post #72 of 181
This is amazing, well done. The black reminded me of a900s for a while XD

Dec 13, 2010 at 1:03 AM Post #73 of 181
That is an amazing mod, very nice. One question I didn't see asked. Did the recable job change the sound of the headphone in any way? Just curious if the bass was improved or detail etc.

Dec 26, 2010 at 6:36 PM Post #74 of 181
I love this mod and I'm definitely going to do the same! I have the astro mixamp hooked up to my ps3 with the Y adaptor and zalman mic right now. Its just not a very affective setup and I definitely want to upgrade. But I don't really understand the wiring. How does it all fit together. I'm confused about how the mic input, stereo output, and mixamp all fit together. Could someone explain to me what I need, and how it all fits together. I'd really appreciate it. 

Jan 29, 2011 at 4:41 AM Post #75 of 181
nice mod, just out of intrest im from uk and strugling to find parts u used for cable can ytou buy pre made 3.5mm jack-jack 4 pole cable?? i found 1 but its cheap nasty one with plastic plugs wount sure if this would effect sound qualty

Users who are viewing this thread

Back