"Dark Knight" AD700 Gaming Mod (Lots of Pics!)
Apr 20, 2010 at 1:11 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 181

WayTooCrazy

Headphoneus Supremus
I recently entered the Headphone gaming scene and have been told to grab the Audio-Technica AD700 headphones by many, many people in many, many threads. So, I acquired a pair. I liked the way they sounded, they lacked a little bass (the thump, bass is there), and the highs were a little over done. In gaming though, those are probably it's best features. Used a Zalman clip on mic and some Techflex PET to keep them together, I gamed for about a week with them like this... and decided, to Mod. So, here we go.

First, I cut the headphone cable and modified that with a Neutrik 3.5mm plug. The side benefit of this (I get a 10' 3.5mm patch cable for free):
a135f65a.JPG
Then, when my KVConnection 4 Pole adapters came in, I swapped the bodies from the stock ones, to Silver Neutrik bodies:
2a61b243.JPG
Then came the actual cable I was going to use. I chose to go with the Mogami W2893. I stripped the rubber jacket and EMI shield off and fed that into a Nylon sleeve and added the 4 pole Neutrik Hybrid plugs on either end:
2952d905.JPG
Now, it was time to disassemble the headphones and see what I was working with:
b677d93d.JPG 27e67b45.JPG
After getting everything all apart, I scuffed them up with Automotive 400 grit sandpaper, and sprayed them with Flat Black spray paint that adheres to plastic:
3c60a905.JPG 551afda9.JPG
All sides were sprayed. I gave the outside of the headphones 5 light coats of black, and the insides only received 4 coats of black. When all was done, they received 4 coats of Matte Clear Coat (again, plastic compatible spray paint) on the outside and 3 coats of Matte Clear for the inside.

While that was drying, I took the headband wires, and use Mogami W2893 and fed them through (probably one of the hardest things of the build, as the wires kept catching on the rubber sheathing).
0f9ce51d.JPG

Next item on the list was to tackle the upgraded headphone connector and Mic connector. I drilled out the stock opening and then close to that, I drilled another hold for the Microphone connector.
c62a191f.JPG 3b255f9b.JPG

When I couldn't properly seat the microphone connector flush, I decided to use some Epoxy Putty and build up a platform for both connectors:

0cf35656.JPG 584e41dd.JPG

After filing, sanding, painting the newly remodeled left cup, I test fitted the plugs again...

e8adc4e2.JPG

Last edited:
Apr 20, 2010 at 1:21 AM Post #3 of 181
Then, I painted the Grills Shiny Silver...
0be8ded3.JPG
Then, it was time to start re-building the headphone...
d941ba5b.JPG 564c0136.JPG 6f26dadd.JPG d78312a1.JPG 4b25c309.JPG

Now, was the fun part... wiring...
6ecf9428.JPG 4479c473.JPG 81f24493.JPG

After deciding the Grills were too shiny for the Flat Black... I hit them with Matte Clear too. Finished testing and putting everything together... and here are the finished "Dark Knight" AD700s:
73ca0151.JPG d18648bc.JPG 5d9f3faa.JPG

In the end, it was a very fun project. I learned alot.... especially how I very much enjoy having headphones with replaceable cabling. I can go from a stereo only stock cable (10 footer), to a very soft nylon covered gaming cable (6 foot). I can add the mic, or remove it.

The only thing left for me to do now... is to build a "Y" splitter to convert from the 4 pole gaming cable adapter to a dual 3.5mm Stereo/Mic cable for use on PCs. The gaming cable was made with the intention of being used with the Astro MixAmp.

Last edited:
Apr 20, 2010 at 1:25 AM Post #4 of 181
They look SO different from my flat black AD700s, with stock frame. I mean, they don't even look like AD700s anymore. <3

Apr 20, 2010 at 2:18 AM Post #5 of 181
That looks amazing, nice work!

How long did that all take?

Apr 20, 2010 at 2:23 AM Post #6 of 181
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mad Lust Envy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
They look SO different from my flat black AD700s, with stock frame. I mean, they don't even look like AD700s anymore. <3

Tx, you painted your frames too? Any pictures?

Quote:

Originally Posted by )v(ajin_R_ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That looks amazing, nice work!

How long did that all take?

Tx! I did it in about 4 days or so, the longest parts of course was letting the paint dry and I sanded in between every other coat of paint with 600 grit.

Apr 20, 2010 at 2:25 AM Post #7 of 181
Quote:

Originally Posted by WayTooCrazy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Tx, you painted your frames too? Any pictures?

Tx! I did it in about 4 days or so, the longest parts of course was letting the paint dry and I sanded in between every other coat of paint with 600 grit.

Nah, just the grills. You saw them already!
tongue.gif

Apr 20, 2010 at 3:18 AM Post #13 of 181
Wow!
I always thought the AD700 were ugly and thought it was the design, but it is definitely the colours. You did a great job!

Apr 20, 2010 at 4:07 AM Post #14 of 181
Very nice. Congrats. I was wondering when someone was going to do something like this and get rid of that awful purple. Very good and thorough workmanship. I might have to get one and try this.

Apr 20, 2010 at 4:15 AM Post #15 of 181
Quote:

Originally Posted by Stein /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Looks amazing, excellent job. I wish I were gutsy enough to mod mine.
smily_headphones1.gif

Thx, wasn't that hard...

Quote:

Originally Posted by earthpeople /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Increcible, very well done!

Thx!

Quote:

Originally Posted by mlantinen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes, very cool mod. Nice workage.

Thx!

Quote:

Originally Posted by TobaccoRoad /img/forum/go_quote.gif
at first I thought OP was way too crazy but the finished product looks really good

Lol, Thx!

Quote:

Originally Posted by gbacic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wow!
I always thought the AD700 were ugly and thought it was the design, but it is definitely the colours. You did a great job!

Thx, Yes the stock colors weren't the best choices... but then, I'd have 1 lest thing to mod.
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back